Icebreaker activities

Israel
I'm replacing a beloved teacher in a school who is going out on maternity leave in two weeks, or sooner. I want to know what type of ice-breaker, or introduce the new teacher activity that you liked when you were in school. I need to learn the kids names and get their respect at the same time. I will also have a tough bunch of kids. Lets face it kids are no pushover these days in the classroom! Thanks!
@daliaj (5689)
Good luck with the new work. I will share you one of the ice braking activities used by a trainer in one of my trainings. He asked all the people to stand in various groups depending on the month of our birthday. It gave a chance for all the people there to mingle. Once they arranged in groups, the trainer gave time to each group to get introduced with people within the group. After that he asked each person to introduced somebody else in the group. We had fun because we didn't exactly remember all the basic details about the person whom we were asked to introduce.
• Israel
Thank you very much. I think I'll use this one in the 6th grade class. I'll have to check with the Coordinator if she thinks it's a good idea. Do you have any more ideas?