How do you save money at home?

I started to save my pennies this year. I have a water jug behind my dresser. I just toss my pennies in there. I have added a nickel here and there. I turn off my light when I am done using them. I reuse my zip lock bags as well. I use only a pea size of toothpaste as directed on my tooth brush. I use only scott tissue which lasts longer. Even the store brand version of scott is good. How about your saving tips for the home?
@BinaryKat (738)
All my change goes into this jar I have. When I get the chance I plan to get the roll paper for change and see if I can deposit in the bank. I turn off everything when it is time to go to bed. When it comes to food, since it is just me and my husband, I learned how to stretch meals like casseroles and such. I usually cook enough to take lunch the next day. I am cooking a lot more at home and have told my husband we need to cut back on eating takeout and only order once in a while. I shop for my tolietries at Family Dollar and the pet food for my cats I try to get at Walmart if I can. I figured it is much cheaper to get the 24 packs at Fancy Feast there and I got nice bag of the GoodLife recipe for them. I plan weekly menus and try to shop only at Aldi's.
I am cutting back on cooking here. I will cook today and not cook for two days. We have to finish the left overs first. cat food I buy in the huge bag for three months usage. Thanks
@kaylachan (4776)
I try to shave off where I can on bills. George and I shop at dollor general or aldies and spend far less on detergent and other odds and ends. We buy in bulk when he gets paid, and we freeze some of our food, or use far less then we would normally on things. Only one t.v. is allowed on at any given time, and to be honest in a one bed apartment with the kitchen living area so open, there is no reason to have the kitchen and living room t.v.s on at the same time. I take bathes, and we don't pre-rince our dishes. Any leaks, or anything else of that nature we get on right away. The cats get one capful of food a day
Wow I have learned a lot here. I have a bowl I put cat food in. Lion gets a refill every week and fresh water daily. I buy the big bag from bj's and it lasts more than three months. I have only one tv on as well. Thanks
@Allie_xoxo (1064)
I do this too and have a jug-full. One day it just hit me, the rest of the population consider pennies to be just useless change; they drop them everywhere and if I gather a lot of them then.....Welcome to the truth my friend. LOL
@tomcat23 (623)
• Old Forge, Pennsylvania
It's so true about the pennies!!! I wonder if the "penny-tossers" ever wonder how much money they threw away over the years? Picking up those unwanted pennies really does add up. I'm pleased to say I will not be saving money by not throwing my pennies away.
I remember a time when I found ten pennies at a phone booth. I was very happy to take them.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Some of the things I do is keep one light on when I'm in that particular room. I have all applicances unplugged because when plugged in and not using it is still on and juice is stilling going thru it. I use the newer lightbulbs in all the rooms. I mostly wash only in cold water and only wash twice a week.
@lilybug (21148)
I am always on my kids to turn off the lights when they are not using them. It seems to help too. Our electric bill for just the lights and appliances runs about $1 a day or less.
@Fulltank (2896)
Its colder here in my country right now and we cut-off the use of our air conditioner to a half. Instead of running it continuously overnight, we set the timer to just 4 hours. That would be a cut of about 20% of our bills. Also, I already change all our incandescent bulbs to CFL bulbs for this purposes also. And I forgot the water bills. Watering plants were done on every other day now. Since these two bills (electricity and water) are fluctuating, they can be minimized and conserved. And to add, we also limit all long distance calls to our relatives abroad by around a half.
@Flight84 (3050)
I have a small bucket that we put spare change in and we wrap the coins every few months and store it in a bag to put in the bank later. We actually haven't been doing it as much lately and we need to start doing it again because it was really handy to have an extra hundred here and there. We use store brands that are cheaper and just as good for certain products and we shop at Aldi's sometimes. I don't know if you have one near you, but Aldi's is a grocery store that has really inexpensive food. No real big name brands or anything, but the food is just as delicious and very affordable.
No I don't hav ethat store near me. I use the highest priced super market to save on cab fare and it kills me. I have to buy what is on sale to get the best buys.
@cher913 (25890)
we also have a money jar in the kitchen that everyone puts their loose change into and we use the money for trips to the ice cream shop, etc. the things that i do to save money is to shop at thrift stores as well as visiting the libraries for books. if and when i buy books (which hardly ever) i buy them at a thrift store.
@carpenter5 (6786)
We have two coffee mugs that we don't drink out of. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Spare change is placed into these at the end of the day. When we purchase something during the day, we also use bills. The coins are saved. One cup goes to our missionary in Rome. Once a month when we have the offereing for him, I put the money into the offering plate at church. The other cupful of coins is taken to our Ladies Bible Study once a month on Saturday and put into the account. We are saving to help finish the inside of our new youth building.
Like you I save my change. We also have the lights off in the house until it starts to get dark in the evening when we really do need lights on. We use all CFL lightbulbs in our house with the exception of our two bedside lamps because they are three way bulbs. I also used to run to the grocery store every other day to every third day and I blew a lot of money by making such frequent trips to the store so I now write out a master list and go to the grocery store only once a week with an occasional stop in to grab milk or some other perishable item.
buying in bulk with sales and coupons can really get you thing low or even free if you watch close to sales, coupons and such. Going to freebie sites such as shop4freebies.com and getting all the freebies you can can also cut cost and get coupons for things saving money. also do a search for freebies and join some of these sites and save. Grocery shopping and buying family packs saves some for you can always reduce the package at home saving you money as well. Making things such as baby wipes, body wash and other common used items will also save you money. Shopping dollar stores even if on the internet will cut costs down as well. dollartree.com is now online and everything is a dollar. I know I buy can goods one month stocking up and the following month buy meats and if I find a good sale on one type of product I will stock up and make things work some how. I am a penny pinch and I can hear it scream good luck making yours scream.
I actually wrote an article on this last year on Associated Content (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1444707/fifteen_ways_to_save_money_at_home.html?cat=46) because it's something I strive to do as much as I can. Some of my favorite ways to save money at home are to try to cut back on bills by using less electricity, heat and cable. I like your idea about reusing ziploc bags, and often do the same, or will use tupperware instead of disposable packaging. Anything that is prepackaged is usually more expensive, as well as worse for the environment, so re-using your own safe (bpa-free!) packaging and containers to section out snacks and drinks is a great way to cut back on cost and your carbon footprint. Coupons too! I love coupons! I've been able to save up to 40% on grocery bills thanks to redplum and other coupon booklets that come in the Sunday paper. It's quite amazing, actually, what you can save when you pay attention to the savings out there! Good luck to you :)
I also turn off the lights when not in use. I also unplug all the appliances we do not use ( I learned that on Oprah. haha.)I also recycle which does help a lot. I rehash my leftovers as well.
@vinabee (85)
definitely, i save the small changes in my piggy bank.This is a real piggy bank,which is a lovely pig printen as blue,made in plastic. i put this piggy bank above a cupboard,and only taking bus would i take it. addictional,i save the nickel in another place,because i sometimes wash clothes use the school's machine,which ask me for the nickel.
@unique16 (1531)
Hello, I use those new ligth bulbs that are twisted to save on money. I use my old coal stove during this winter to heat my home instead of using my furnace which uses gas and I have two space heaters that are suppose to save me money $106.00 over a months period of time on my electric bill... still waitng for my bill to come and see if that is true or not. I use coupons at restraunts when I can and at the grocery stores. I try to buy in bulk like paper products and can goods too. I try to extra quart of milk, orange juice and ice teas and freeze them and when I need dethaw on the countere for few hours and put them in refrigerator etc. Thanks and have a great day Sincerley Unique16
@sumanadep (1230)
I don't usually think of saving money at home. The pennies are collected but I use them the other day for traveling to the office. I do switch off the lights when not using but I consider it as energy saving and not money saving. reusing zip lock bags is the usual thing that I have always done.
@jhenn22 (1243)
there are ways on how to save money at home. Cut of unnecessary expenses like buying too much foods that are too much for your consumption. Save energy at home can save money too. Starts to have savings account you to have an emergency fund.
hi i normally collect coins, have a few jars in my house, oe at dining area, one at bedroom and one at altar ... during times of need i use the one in bedroom n dining .. the one in altar goes for charity cheers
@umabharti (3976)
hi,i also try to not waste anything.try to reuse things.in kitchen also i try to use things how much is needed.when we try to be careful of not wasting anything then it is equal to earning.now i started some online work also so in the free time i am earning.
I have my own piggy where I put 5pesos everyday. We also used power saver. we close the lights which are not in use same with electric fans, cellphone charger, Tv, Computer and others.