What are your thoughts on Mariah Carey?

Personally, I loved Mariah Carey back when she did the pop/easy listening stuff. When I heard her sing "Vision of Love", I just thought wow - she was just an awesome singer with a lot of class. She has great range and slight raspiness in her voice - and I bought every one of her albums - back then. I think "Butterfly" is the last one in my collection. So what happened? I'm not into her hip hop type sound (though I love hip hop). And her image now just makes me cringe - with her plastered, phoney smile and dumpy fashion sense. Her voice just isn't what it used to be (or maybe its the music itself). I'm all for the "old" Mariah Carey . . . how about you?
@zed_k4 (17627)
I like Mariah Carey's old image too; the one where she sang in Madison Square Garden, donning black blouse and pants, she looked totally divine! And her songs of that era were truly classic..I'd say bring back the old Mariah..if only for just 1 album, lol..
Oh yah, I remember that Madison Square Garden special! She used to look really classy! Now she looks dumpy, in my opinion - so fake, as if superstardom has gotten to her head. If she could go back to the old Mariah, I sure would buy that album!
@zed_k4 (17627)
Heeehee...but her voice quality has always been the same...luckily though. Yes, I miss her Madison Square Garden persona very much.
Didn't someone criticize that she had no stage presence or personality back then? Perhaps that's why she had this complete turn around in image?? Now it's just overkill - wish she'd go back!
@cintoy (1014)
She is my fav female singer. She has a wonderful voice and the best so far. She is awesomely beautiful and has got a very charming smile. I love her songs especially those that ends with her showing her 8 octave voice.
I know what you mean about the songs that end with her showcasing her awesome range. But does she really do that now? I know she did that a lot with her old music. It doesn't really fit in with the hip hop style, at least in my opinion. She used to be my favorite female singer - but now I don't like the way she sings nor do I like the songs.
@cintoy (1014)
currently i don't really follow music coz of my tight schedule. so, don't really do that anymore in her new songs. thx for the update
Well, I don't follow HER music because I'm just disgusted with it. The only times I hear her songs are if I happen to hear in the car radio or in the store if they play it - but otherwise, I don't buy her albums anymore.
Butterfly is her turning point into more of R&B artist instead pop artist. That album mark her divorce with Tommy mottola who had been polished her into pop artist will all the ballad songs we known like Vision of love, Hero etc. The nowadays mariah Carey sometimes makes me cringe also, with all the boob job, and dress that shows her skin. I think if she always doing pop ballad her album will not selling as well as now though, almost zero artist that big in the early and mid 90s can survive singing that type of song. Just look at Celine dion, where is she now? I just hope mariah cary show more class in dress up and picking songs. Songs like We belong Together remind us of how great she were, songs like Touch My Body irks me since it's like a desperation for sexiness and sensuality..
When I first heard she was married to Tommy Mottola, I thought ok, she got a lot of help I'm sure from her husband. But after they divorced, its like she bust out into this woman who wanted to become a girl! I hate the boob job deal - why does she have to flaunt "them" with her fashion - it's not sexy at all - very unflattering to me! I seriously don't know how her songs climb the charts - especially this past decade - are these people hearing something I'm not hearing?I've lost almost all respect for her.
yeah, maybe that's the cost of getting fame on such a young age and married with someone much older than her at the time. She must be feeling trapped in an image she does not want to but that image will always be the one we remember her as a very talented singer. Nowadays, her R&B songs does not allow her to use her five octave voice anymore...
No matter what we think of her now, I think she's set for life as to what Mr. Mottola did for her . . . she'll be on the easy listening circuit forever if her hip hop stuff doesn't last. Yah, she probably felt trapped being married to a way older dude, but I hate that she just got plain dumpy after the break up. Her octave range in amazing . . . it really is ashame she's not utilizing it anymore.
@faimei (128)
I like Mariah Carey and her songs. I always like listening to her songs then and up to now but not all. It really depends... Like what you said she has a great range and can sing whatever song she can with putting some thing that can be unique, and can be identified with her. But I right now, some of her songs are not quite like what they used to be and her fashion sense is really not good for her. I like the "old" Mariah Carey more.
I love the old Mariah Carey hands down. I don't care for all of her songs like you said, but I will say I do enjoy most of them (the old songs - it's rare that I would like any of her current hip hop stuff). I sure hope she doesn't hold on to her current singing or fashion style - she HAD a good thing going! Quite frankly, I'm a little surprised that most people in my discussion here like the old Mariah Carey since it seems to be the younger crowd. Seems we are in agreement about her songs and fashion sense!!
@brymel25 (286)
i love mariah carey but i think she has to give up wearing those tight fitting clothes. i sitll love her voice and her kind of music though.
Mariah Carey has an excellent voice (or at least she used to anyway). I'm not in love with her current music, but I still love all her old songs from when she started hitting the charts. Oh I hate her tight fitting clothes. She has all this talent and does not need to do all this extra stuff to make her look any better. She is a beautiful woman, but the things she does with her clothes and such are making her look dumpy rather than classy.
@angelajoy (1839)
I liked her better back then too. She was a really good singer. I was so disappointed when I heard her singing these hip-hop thingys. I don't what it's really called. I don't like that type of music. I liked her better in her early years as a singer. I hope one day she'll be able to bring back the music that she became famous for.
Her voice really does not suit that hip hop style - that's my opinion anyway. That would be great if she would go back to the old style - but it seems like she wanted to get out of that image. It seems like she wanted to show her "youthful" style and go against everything that she started off as. Well, I'm not liking that side - the music, or her fashion sense! Maybe when she gets old!~
@AvI0907 (231)
hi.. much2say i love Mariah carey so much. She is the DIVA? .. Million,Billi..and trillion percents yes .. She is. I love her songs especially "lovin you" and "when you believe". She is the brilliant for that.she also has a unique voice(Dolphin voice) However, i dont like her way in dressing.That all...
I used to think Mariah Carey was a diva, but now I don't know what to call her. She does still have that recognizable voice - but I just feel she's not using it to it's fullest potentional. I like her old style than the contrived one she has now . . . I definitely don't like her fashion sense these days either.
@squaretile (3833)
Yup I feel sad about how Mariah Carey has changed over the years. I loved her singing "all I want for christmas is you" (the music video), when she was just this wholesome christian girl with the great voice. then came the strange packaging, as if they thought she couldn't sell albums just with her voice. she looks all trashy now, and her chest seems artifically enhanced, and spilling out all the time... I miss the old Mariah with the lovely vocals.
I have that Christmas album!! She had such a cute, wholesome, classy image before - what happened?! I agree she looks so trashy now . . . I hate how she has to stick out her chest whenever I see her posing for the cameras - grosses me out! Wasn't she going through depression at some point and had to go on medication? I wonder if the meds messed her up - including vocally? She has such a plastic image now - oh so sad to see her talents just go the wrong direction. Sidenote: As a figure skater, we all got sick of "All I Want For Christmas" because many of the coaches had their little girls skating to that song - ha ha. I actually love that whole album because of her twist on some classic songs as well as her own. It sounded like she skated from the heart - back then.