Another one man GAF machine

The govenor race here in SC is heating up already. We thought we has things bad with the one we have....well look who is running for the job now. A one man gaf machine.He is current Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer. At a town hall meeting Bauer stuck his foot in his mouth by saying ""My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed! You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that." He basically likened government assistance to the poor to feeding stray animals. Needless to say this caused all kind of a fuss here in SC. Everyone and their mom is screaming for his head. After the you know what hit the fan he came out and said he regrets his choice of words but that government should expect welfare recipients to try to better themselves. He wants to require them to take drug tests and attend parent-teacher conferences if they have children in school. Bauer insisted he wasn't bad-mouthing people laid off from work in the recession or advocating taking food from children, but rather emphasizing the need to break the cycle of dependency. So what do you think? Badly chosen words? Or complete idiot? I agree we need to get as many people as we can off welfare....but should we call them "stray animals"? I don't think so.
@gewcew23 (8011)
As cold hearted as I am when I read this statement on another website over the weekend I thought to myself, finally someone gets it. We spend billions of dollar to pay single poor women to have children. Now granted I know that the LT was not just addressing poor women but I am going to use this as a starting point. These women that are already on government assistance can increase their government assistance by have children. Their assistance will be lowered if they get married. When they need to give birth to the child the taxpayers pay for that. The food for the child including the food for the mother will be paid for by the taxpayers. The housing for the mother and her child will be paid for by the taxpayer. The education for the child will be paid for by the taxpayers. There is no incentive for the mother not to have a child. The only difference between a stray animal and a welfare mother is the animal cannot help themselves when she goes into heat. The stray animal does not have the logic to say no. The welfare mother has no excuse. She is has logic, she can know that she cannot even take care of herself, why create another life that I would have to take care of. The problem is currently she does not have to take care of any new life she helps to create, the taxpayers will.
I agree that our current welfare system does not have enough incentive for people to get off of it. And there is not enough accountability for their personal actions like having more kids when they can't afford the ones they have. We have a BIG issue in this country with children being born on welfare....and they live the rest of their lives on it as do the chidlren they have and their childrens children. We should NOT have multi generational welfare. It is a problem that needs to be fixed. But I don't think we need to say people on welfare are "stray animals". Yes there are ALOT of poeple taking advantage of the system...but that does not make them animals. We need welfare reform. Making it harder to get it and a time limit on how long they can get it. Welfare was meant as a hand up not a hand out. My issue is I don't see this country getting toughh on them. What are you going to do with the people that flat out refuse to work or better themselves? Let them die on the streets? I don't see our government doing that. Do you?
Far as the mothers you speak of not only can they and dont say no. They also have free family planning medical care which gives them every option of birth control there is paid for. Due to economic times I know the welfare cases have doubled and in some cases tripled. In Ohio about 10yrs ago when Clinton was still in office we did start welfare reform. People could only collect up to 18 months for a mother with children and 6 months for a single person. They were given the choice go to school learn a trade or be taken off. Its amazing how many were able to walk away from the system for good. They need to go back to that and stick to it. The system doesn't need new rules added programs it needs the ones that are in place inforced.
@anniepa (27238)
You scooped me again, Lil, I'd just done a search on this idiot and was getting ready to post a discussion on him when I found yours! That's OK, the important thing is that this jerk gets the NEGATIVE publicity, here at least, he so richly deserves! I don't think he's fit for any public office, I'll say that much for sure. It's not just welfare recipients he's trashing but children who receive free or reduced cost lunches at school. I don't know about your state but here the vast majority of kids who are eligible for the free or reduced lunches and sometimes breakfasts are not from families on welfare or even those who receive food stamps. They're simply kids whose families' incomes aren't all that high, basically lower-middle class kids. "Working class", like Bauer allegedly grew up in. This was contained in the article to which I've linked at the end of the post: "Bauer, who grew up in a working-class family, said parents whose children receive free, or subsidized, lunches at school should stop receiving government benefits if they do not attend parent-teacher conferences." He mentioned a connection between kids whose parents attended parent-teacher conferences and higher test scores. Apparently he's never heard of the FACT that kids without proper nutrition, especially those who are hungry while in school, don't do as well as those who are given well-balanced meals! I think this is WAY beyond a simple "gaffe". To me a "gaffe" is something not at all earth-shattering but some kind of silly misspeak or maybe giving more information about something than you intended to or "unintentionally" telling the truth about something. THIS reveals a true character flaw and shows how he feels about the people who will be his most innocent constituents if he were to become governor. Gee, are you guys SURE you don't want to keep Mark Sanford? Annie Here's the link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31959.html
He IS the reason we still have Mark Sanford. The whole reason the state house REFUSES to make Sanford resign is because this idiot is the current LT. Gov and would take Sanfords place. No one on either side wants Bauer as Govenor. So Sanford is still our gov. even with all the BS he has done. WHy? Because EVEYONE hates this jerk. Heck on his run for Lt Gov. Sanford and his wife came out against him and supported the other guy running. I do think he has one point....we do need to cut back on the number of poeple on walfare...this state has an issue just like other states with multi generational welfare (People who spend their whole life on welfare, then their kids spend their whole lives on welfare, and their kids kids spend their lives on welfare)The cycle needs to be stopped....but not his way. What we need are JOBS. I hope this guy does not win. Sanford can not run again because of the term limit laws...but ALOT of people have thrown their name in the hat to run. YOu definately bet I WON'T be voting for him. I have plenty of others to choose from. Let's hope the rest of my state feels the same way.
Here is a copy of the speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpb4nwfiaPY You can hear it from his own mouth and the rest of the speech.