Why Does Obama have so many supporters named Ellie Light? An Astroturf Story

@Rollo1 (16649)
Boston, Massachusetts
Often a political organization or party will write a letter on an issue and ask their members to send this letter to their Congressmen or Senators, etc. As far as I know, they usually do not ask them to send the same letter to different newspapers all over the country, pretending to live local to the newspaper's town of origin. But a strange letter-writing campaign has surfaced, and it all began with one Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter seeing the Light. Ellie Light, that is. Ellie Light wrote the same letter (with minor changes to deflect internet searches) to 62 small newspapers in 29 states. She even managed to get her letter published on the blog Politico. Her letters espouse support for Barack Obama and encourage people to give him a chance. Her letter also appeared in two overseas publications. Sabrina Eaton of the Cleveland Plain Dealer found the multiple letters when she was unable to get Ellie Light to reveal her true address. But since then, another rash of similar letters has been noticed, these coming from someone calling himself Mark Spivey. His letters have appeared in numerous newspapers, again with the address given being one local to the newspaper's location. In fact, Mark's letter even appeared on the same page as Ellie's in one paper. And then - more letters. Different text from Ellie and Mark, but the same letter being sent to dozens of newspapers from different people. Janet Leigh, Glorie Elle, Mark Platz... and more. What all these letters have in common is that they are in support of Obama and health care reform and critical of the Bush administrtation. They blame the current problems completely on Bush. Where have we heard that before? Why is this different than letter-writing campaigns encouraged by political organizations? Well, for one thing, PACs send the letters to elected officials to ask for support of particular legislation. Secondly, they don't encourage people to lie about who they are or where they live in order to get a letter published in a newspaper. Most importantly, they aren't sending the letters out in an effort to appear like a grassroots movement. The big question is: who is behind this astroturfing? Is it a person or organization connected to Obama? If so, how closely connected? Tell me your theories on who is orchestrating this. I will start you off with a very unlikely conspiracy theory. Samantha Power, former Obama campaign staffer and wife of Cass Sunstein once won an "Ellie" which is the name of the statuette given to winners of the National Magazine Award. Here are some links, in case you hadn't heard of this story yet. Some are blogs because it is the bloggers who are doing the internet searches which have turned up all the instances of the letters. Not surprisingly, you won't find this story on the MSM. http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/01/letter_writer_claims_diverse_r.html http://apocalyptickiwi.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/an-ellie-light-list/ http://patterico.com/2010/01/24/still-more-astroturfing-gloria-elle-and-jan-chen-write-the-same-anti-republican-pro-obama-letter/
I can only say that nothing underhand that Obama and his sycophants do surprises me. I think they will do anything to support Obummer this reminds me of all the unconfirmed donations made to Obummer's campaign when he was running for the Presidency. Any method to pad Obummer's falling poll scores is acceptable.
@Rollo1 (16649)
• Boston, Massachusetts
Now that it's become clear that there is no Ellie Light and that all these letters were sent in an organized way from some central person or persons (three letters appeared in one paper on the same day) it is amazing that no one is reporting on this. They are obviously trying to make us believe that there is all this support out there for the administration when they fear support is falling away.
@dragon54u (31605)
I heard about that on Fox last night. It's pretty pathetic when you can't garnish enough support that you have to make up your own letters of support! Why won't they listen to what we really want? I'm sure the polls are skewed--he who frames the question wins the poll, they say. I'm pretty sure that more people object to the health care bills than they say and the prez is even less popular than the polls say.
@Rollo1 (16649)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I keep wondering what the poll question was in the poll that Robert Gibbs keeps telling us showed that people who voted for Scott Brown in MA did so in order to show support for President Obama. I appreciate his gutsy bravado and ability to say something that ridiculous with a straight face, but come on, he doesn't think we're going to believe that, right?
@dragon54u (31605)
He actually said that with a straight face?! Wow, the man is unbelievable! And I do think they think we will believe that--Obama and his admin think the people are stupid sheep. Maybe we were a year ago but no longer!
@missybal (4492)
Very interesting. I hope they figure out the source. One thing I often wondered was how come no one researched how the people who where holding up signs in support of the pro-Obama / healthcare bill during the Teaparty marches all had professionally printed signs mainly verses homemade and then signs that were nasty supposed Teaparty Patriots (yes there is a nut here and there but not like what CNN and MSNBC showed) who had the signs with offensive material were also professionally printed most of the time. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you must but something just isn't cricket.
@bobmnu (8160)
One Tea Party I was at and saw the printed signs they were being held by people who had a Union hat or jacket on.