Children (siblings) can be sooooo different!!!

I have an almost 5 year old daughter, and an 11 week old son. They look very much alike but they sure are different!!! Daughter: Slept well day and night - slept through the night at 12 weeks. Son: Sleeps well during the night - bad daytime napping - hates the crib. Daughter: Temper tantrums from day 1! Son: Very mellow fellow - goes with the flow. Daughter: Cried bloody murder at every doctor appointment. Son: Smiles and coos at the doctors and nurses - didn't even cry on the scale. Daughter: Found her tongue - never needed a pacifier. Son: Haven't found his coping mechanism yet - we won't give him a pacifier but since I'm nursing, I might be it. Anyway, those are just some examples of how they are so different as babies . . . I wonder how different they will be as my son gets older!!! How are/were your children and babies different?
@magrylouyu (1632)
Wow, my list could go on and on for my 3 girls. My older 2 were basicly exactly alike until about age 2. My youngest daughter does so much more at a younger age. My girls are 6, 4 1/2 and 7 months. oldest: rolled over at 8 months middle: rolled over at 9 months youngest: rolled over at 6 months oldest: first tooth 8 months middle: frist tooth 8 months youngest: first tooth 6 months oldest: Sat up unassisted 9 months middle: sat up unassisted 8 months youngest: 5 months Oldest: slept though the night since day 1 9pm-9am (faded by age 2) middle: slept though the night around 5 months youngest: slept through around 4 weeks 8pm-7am oldest: teething never knew it until the teeth were there & never drooled. middle: never drooled and never knew she was teething youngest: Ohh she is letting me know she has some teeth and drools non stop we go through about 4 different bibs a day. Now as for crawling and walking we will see with that my oldest was 15 months she took her first steps at the hospital the day my middle daughter was born. My middle daughter started waling at 17 months. Children are so much different. My youngest has brought on a whole new meaning of parenting for me. It's like starting brand new and it's hard having a child completely opposite of her 2 older sisters.
That was so interesting to read! You're right your first two were very similar! I wonder if the youngest ones hit certain milestones earlier because they have the older one as an example? It seems that way, but I don't know if it's that or if it's an inate thing. It'll be cool to see how you youngest does in coming months (as with mine) . . . and it'll be interesting to compare how different (or similar) they will be from our oldest one(s)!
What's really funny is that in most ways my children both acted the exact same way but they don't even look like they should be related. My daughter looks like the American Indian that she has in her blood (Cherokee Indian) while my son looks just like the Irish blood that I have. She is dark haired and dark eyed and dark skinned while her little brother is blond haired, blue eyed and very fair complexion. Both of them slept through the night at six weeks old and both of them starting talking early. Both of them are the same child in different bodies. LOL.
Wow - from what you described they must look soooo different! But interesting how they were more alike than different as far as milestones go! That's awesome they slept through the night at 6 weeks (and I thought my daughter did great for 12 weeks!). My son is having good stretches of sleep at night now at 11 weeks - but the day time sleep isn't so fun - he just wants to hang out with us instead of his crib!!
@squaretile (3835)
that's a really interesting discussion! I only have one child at present, so I can't give the interesting comparisons you have. In some ways, I'm kinda afraid of this. Because my daughter is quite the textbook baby, good natured and not very fussy. So people have been telling me, you've got such an easy baby, you should have more! My answer to that is, every baby is different, just like how every pregnancy can be very different! So it worries me that the next baby can never be as much of a 'dream baby' as my current kid, and that there is a higher chance that the second kid will be more difficult, simply because the first was so easy! talk about pessimism! but I guess with things like that you never know till it happens, and in the interim we can only pray and hope for the best!
My second one is the easier one - is most areas . . . my first one was easy in "some" areas. So yes, every baby is different (and geez, my 2 pregnancies were definitely different too). But hey, you never know, it's possible your second one could be just as easy, or maybe even easier too! In any case, you know you will still love all your children no matter how different they are!