Is it just me or is there madness out there?

You'd think that in 2010 with all the technology we have as of yet, that heads of states wouldnt have to travel miles and miles and go through gallons and gallons of fuel to settle the Environmental problem? Think about it. They all fly to some country in Air Force jets. They usually dont travel alone, so they have an entourage of people going with them. The country hosting the meeting will need to upbeat its police force, monopolize all its energy and man force to protect those important people. It costs a fortune and this money could be put to much better use. So why dont they do a video conference. We do have the means now. Why spend SO much money....is it to put up a show so we think they're actually doing something? Is it only me seeing the madness in all this? Why would you spend huge amount of energy and fuel so you can turn around and tell us to limit our use?
Hi, Magical! The main thing technology has provided is a means for us to know about things that were only known to the "insiders" in the past. Sure, it's a dog-and-pony show. And, of course, it's total madness!
Hi Cobrateacher, You're right about that. So true that we had to have a spy on the inside before to find out what was going on but yes indeed, today we have access to everything and this is how we find out whats really going on. Sometimes, Im wondering if we werent better off not knowing, but then, I think its best to know. Ignorance is not always bliss lol.
Some of it, though, is definitely over-done.
@abitcurious (1423)
I agree with your with it being only a show. If they're really serious on protecting the environment why don't they put the budget for the conference in their country's environmental protection agency or department. Anyway heads of states do like to preen that's why they like to those conferences. You're right about the technology, we really don't need such extravagant meetings since they can do it teleconferencing or something. Maybe they just like the idea of themselves strutting and showing everyone who is much more powerful (and who has a great designer, by the way). But as onlookers, we can never know what really happens out there so we're only limited to speculating.
Hello Abitcurious, You're right about them wanting to show off lol. Im sure it has to do with power also. Its like they can do anything they want, spend as much as they want and nobody will hold them responsible for the madness. I wish more people would wake up and stop voting. Im not saying DONT vote for a person, im saying just stop completely and once they see nobody is happy with the candidates.....maybe they'll DO something for a change.
Conservation doesn't apply to them.
Hello Precious, Oh you're so right. It sure doesnt apply to them but they're trying to have us believe that we need to cut down on our energy and that its for the good of mankind. I dont believe this anymore. Actually Ive never believed one word governments say. Its all bs and I only wish more people would wake up and know whats going on. Thanks for your reply.
• Marion, Kansas
Again, you have a wonderful idea. It is a state event, so they have to go show off. Perhaps they feel that there are subtle body language cues etc that cannot be perceived over a teleconference. Besides, how could different groups then get mad and walk out and confer clandestinely with other groups if it was all teleconference. Heaven forbid that anyone should do anything logical to save energy, like the people in the ranks would have to do.
The head of my province and the head of my country are both OUT of the country right now. One in India to probably hire more people from there and have us Canadians have less jobs. The other....the head of Canada is in the Alps and he decided to close parliament until March. So nice to be able to enjoy long vacations PAID BY US I might say. Not sure why we have all these clowns telling us what to do. Well they could have private videoconference if they want to connive about something. But I know that'll never happen. Why stay home when you can travel all expenses paid?
@jb78000 (15178)
yes, its madness