Would you let your neighbor borrow your vacuum?

This thought came to me as I looked over my other discussion about neighbors who borrow things. We had a young neighbor once - sweet girl - but she lived in a studio alone with her cat . . . but oh, her place was filthy! Her place reaked of who-knows-what when we passed by. You could see stacks and stacks of paper through her window and you could see papers sticking out from underneath her front door. Our managers told us about her as they threatened to evict her and call the health board if she didn't shape up her place. My husband was able to peep in there one time, and he said it was indeed "gross"! After the threats, she really tried hard to clear out her place. We saw her working on her place over a whole weekend as she left her door open and things were temporarily in our hallway. Then she came to her door and asked if she could use our vacuum. I told her our vacuum was on the fritz - which was actually the truth. But really, I wasn't going to let her use our vacuum on her icky carpeting . . . and what if whatever she tracked yuckiness into our place when I used it again. Besides, my daughter is allegic to cats, so there was no way I was going to let her use our vacuum (which was an afterthought - so I'm GLAD I didn't let her borrow it!). She ended up borrowing a vacuum from another neighbor - and guess what. She broke it! I saw the vacuum with it's innards lying out in the hallway . . . it looked like it got overused and got overstuffed. I hope she paid our neighbors for it! Would you let your neighbor borrow your vacuum? Is a vaccuum something you would have the nerve to ask your neighbor to lend out to you?
At first I was going to say I'd take pity on the neighbor and lend my monster shop vac since that slurps up ANYTHING without clogging, but after reading the other replies, I'm unsure. I'd hesitate to lend ANYONE my other tools because I take care of them and can't risk them getting damaged or "permanently borrowed". Or someone who'll scratch and damage it because they just don't know how to take care of things. If it gets full of cat hair and kitty litter, I'd insist that she clean it out, but if she's so careless to suck up jewelry and coins, I'd take all that as reimbursement for lending the vac :-)
@VacSim (24)
@vic_vac: totally right. would do the same, if I were you. And I will definitely like your vacuum cleaner or better: shop vac.
My initial thoughts on that matter are that if you have carpet then it is a necessity that you have a vacuum cleaner. In fact, when we first bought our house, we went out and bought a new vacuum cleaner before we even had our carpet installed. Then, not long after we had our carpet installed we bought our own steam cleaner for the carpet. All of that said, there is no way in this world that I would loan my vacuum cleaner to anyone. They are just too easy to mess up and I wouldn't want to have to buy a new vacuum cleaner because my neighbor destroyed mine.
You would think common sense would be that having carpet equals needing a vacuum. Ohhhh, dorannmwin, you'd be amazed if you saw how filthy this gal's apartment was! And if she never vacuumed in there (and she was here before us), I don't even want to know what was on her carpet - especially as she had a cat there. I am actually looking into steam cleaners now - any suggestions? Now a steam cleaner I would definitely not loan out either!!
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
Maybe I would if I felt comfortable with the person, but I wouldn't ask to borrow theirs no matter how comfortable I felt with them. Another Dawn wierdness...
This question is kind of funny, but hey it happens. Never happened to me though, but I sure did borrow my friend's vacuum and never gave it back. Lol Well, it's a different story though.. But if ever a neighbor would ask for a vacuum... I'm not sure.. Probably it depends upon the person huh? I mean you don't want to be all selfish with your stuff but then sometimes there are just people who can return things and who can take care of their things, which how much more of the other people's thing.. Right? So I'd say it'd depends on the person...
Oh yes, it definitely depends on the person! That's why I wouldn't let this particular neighbor borrow our vacuum. If she didn't have a handle on her own place, then who knows what would be on her carpet (besides the cat hair and dander) - and I wasn't about to have that be sucked up by my vacuum . . . unless it was cleaned out entirely, it could get onto our carpet! And I doubt the girl would have cleaned out the vacuum before returning it (would most people?).
@CRIVAS (1822)
I would let my neighbor borrow my vacuumm but since I am not rich I would let them know that if it got broken, I would have to get them to buy a new one. I think that it is always good to give people the benefit of the doubt because I would like to think that someone would do that for me.
I guess I wouldn't be comfortable in telling a neighbor beforehand that if sometime of mine that they borrowed got broken, they would have to replace it. That's like making assumption on them and they might get offended. So I'd rather avoid that and just tell them they can't borrow my vacuum. There are just some things I won't let other people borrow!