My daughter is finally getting a computer.

I put it in the shop today to get the virus off. He is charging me $60.00 and I was pissed to pay this. But,karisma and I can't continue to share one computer. So tomorrow she will be in her room on her own computer. I just wish I could fix a virus on my own next time. Is there a cheaper way to get those off my computer? Thanks
@Takashy (496)
• Latvia
$60? Is that a joke..? (no offense) But thats way to much.. heck, getting rid of a virus isn't that troublesome unless its one of those big ones.. but even than. I doubt that it would cost that much to remove a simple virus. Did you actually had to pay before or after that was done? And what kind of information did the compute guy/girl give you about the virus.. because.. well, how do I put this. They most probably ripped you off.. Anyway, you could always just ask a friend who's better with computers to do it. And it obviously wouldn't cost a cent to do so. Doing it on your own. Well, you could try to look for free anti virus sotftware or trial versions that would also serve this purpose.
@Downwindz (2231)
• Netherlands
I have a free antivirus program installed on my computer and have never had troubles with vira. Do you have an antivirus program?
Yay, no more shared computers. I think you have gotten some pretty good advice here on anti virus software. I may go look at Trend, myself. I have used MalWare Bytes on the most serious virus I ever had. I was in luck as my son was here at that time and he did battle with the virus, and outgunned it. It was shutting down all the programs I had that would have stopped it. I do disk check, defrag and disk clean up.
Yes, I would definitely get the best anti-virus program you can. I live close to an Office Depot and I've always found the clerks in the computer department to be very helpful. They answer my questions without suggesting that I buy things that I don't need. I do think my grey hair helps a lot.
why dont you try AVG antivirus its free and try once and see weather it remove viruses from your house
@kaylachan (4776)
What I do is reformat my drive at least once a year. This sweeps out all the bad things that collect and replaces it with new. It wipes all errors and what not from the drive too. Also I try to keep the hard drive clean, by running disc clean up and defragmentor every so often.
Do a search for Trend Micro, the best virus zapper in the world!!! I had a problem with some viruses on my computer, and my husband put TREND on there, and it fixed the thing right up.
Two thoughts on this. First of all you could check with all of your friends and contacts to see if any of them work on computers or even have a friend that works on computers. You might be easily surprised at how many people know how to get viruses off of computers. The other thing that I would do is get a good anti-virus software and I would make sure that I was running virus scans on the computer on a very regular basis.
@carpenter5 (6786)
If the virus is bad, $60 is cheap my friend. You could be purchasing an entire new computer. Please invest in a good virus scan and keep it updated. Also, encourage your daughter to be careful about what she downloads. Yahoo Messenger is notorious for having viruses. Some of the applications on facebook are as well.
@Java09 (3085)
It's hard to share a computer.With me I'm lucky my daughter lost some interest in it.I use it mostly.I recently installed AVG 9.That will catch the threat before it happens.I can't afford an AV program,you just don't get the extra features with it.It does work great,no problems here!