President Obama's Visit With House Republicans

@anniepa (26617)
Unless I missed it, which is certainly possible, I haven't read a single word about President Obamas appearance with the GOP members of the House last Friday. It had been announced in advance that he had accepted their invitation to join them at their retreat at the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland but it was a surprise when HE suggested his remarks and the questions asked by the Repubicans be aired on live TV. Perhaps one reason nobody here has felt this was worthy of a myLot post is that Fox News cut away from coverage of this historic event. I don't know WHY they cut away when they did return later to air the Republicans' response...doesn't seem so "fair and balanced" to me! Anyway, you can view the video of the entire event by visiting the link below or you can also get a complete transcript of the President's remarks and the question and answer session. In my opinion President Obama cleaned the clocks of the GOP and showed he can handle himself very well without a teleprompter. Did anyone else watch and if so, what are your thoughts? Annie : http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/01/29/president-holds-open-discussion-across-aisle
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I watched it on c-span actually. Great theater...on the part of Obama and republicans. What did anyone really expect? "bipartisanship"? Pfff...don't make me puke. Bipartisanship, if it ever happened, would just mean both parties agreeing on what sort of authoritarian bullshytte policy they wanted to enact. Did you expect Obama to "scold" republicans? He certainly tried...it was pitiful at best. Same campaign stump talking points I have been hearing from him for the last 2 years. Did you expect Republicans to take Obama to task? They certainly tried...again...epic fail. they missed nearly every important and legitimate point they should have made and stuck with the expected republican talking points script. It too was pitiful. So, does this make me a cynic? Perhaps....but it is a well earned position I would say. Why haven't I commented on it? commented on what, a phony scripted display of government deabate? Whats to comment on? Had I stared a thread I would have gotten two sets of responses from devoted republicans and dems much like the last line of yours... of course you saw Obama as having "cleaned republicans clocks", the same way republicans no doubt saw it as republicans cleaning Obama's clocks. Most partisan types will think that way whether it be dems or repubs...neither can seem to get their head out of their party's asss long enough to see it was ALL a frikkin bullshitt theatrical show for the devoted. Glad you enjoyed the show folks...they'l be there all week.
@anniepa (26617)
No problem, X, I didn't take it as an attack, not a personal one anyway. Annie
Why was my comment removed I made about the Baltimore retreat slam by Republicans.Obama was masterful, he verbally well articlated a rebuttal for ever critism they made. Was my comment taking off becuase i hit some critical points and show the studity of the othersides arguements?
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Seeker.....wow...i didn't even see it. I don't imagine it was anything that violoated the TOS, your usualy pretty good about that and your posts are pretty intelligent and well thought out...certainly never inflamitory. Strange. Are you sure the post made it on?
@iriscot (1290)
Typical of Fox... We all know they are slanted toward the republicans and right wingers!!! I watched both... Obama continues to put the challenge up to the republicans, but not one of them steps forward. They have nothing good to offer for the people, so they just sheepishly hide. Okay, jump, jump, jump repubs...
@laglen (19783)
For the sake of argument, could we say the BOOK they handed the President listing out their ideas as "stepping forward"?
@laglen (19783)
I did watch it, I thought I posted a discussion but maybe I didnt. I thought it was very good. I wouldnt say that Obama cleaned anybodys clock and I dont think that was the point. I believe the point from the right - was to have Obama admit that the Republicans HAVE been offering up ideas. I think Obama did well, mostly answered the questions (amazing for any politician). I thought it reflected well on bothe the President and the Republicans.
@anniepa (26617)
Laglen, since you, as a non-Obama supporter, were big enough to give him credit for doing well I'll say maybe I shouldn't have used the phrase "cleaned their clocks"...lol! I was just trying to make the point that he DID answer their questions, he kept his cool throughout even though they seemed to want to make him "lose it" and he had no teleprompter. Annie
@matersfish (6311)
MSNBC did much better with their liberal trifecta of Obama apologists, taking what Obama said and rewording it to sting a little more. I watched the first 20 or so minutes of it, but truthfully, it's hard to watch Obama speak. Back when he was running for president, I liked to hear him speak, even though I didn't agree with what he was saying. It was refreshing to hear a well-spoken politician for once. (The few times he went off prompter were horrific and changed by opinion instantly, but that's another topic.) All I heard him talk about, over and over, was how this wasn't his fault. He inherited a mess. He's not an ideologue. He's not. () He could fix the country if the Republicans weren't obstructionists. He needs time. It's not his fault. The job numbers aren't really the job numbers because jobs were falling before his policies went into effect. It's hot his fault. The deficit really isn't his doing. Money (that wasn't spent and isn't being spent) had to be spent... because it wasn't his fault. Seriously. It's the same old, same old. Nothing new about this. He took the opportunity to make history just to make headlines. He had to follow up on the Adress and remind people that it wasn't his fault, while simultaneously avoiding most Republican questions and reminding (chastising) them that it wasn't his fault. (No need for a prompter. He's been saying this since he was elected.) But, yeah, he "cleaned their clocks." That was the sole purpose. Republicans ask questions, Obama says it's not his fault and makes them go stand in the corner. Poor Jim. I'm POSITIVE that Obama supporters LOVED it! A true moment in American history. It's a keeper. For everyone else, unfortunately, it was just another "it's not my fault" speech opportunity.
@artistry (4154)
...Hi materfish, It is so gosh darn interesting to me how reality just gets suspended. If McCain had won the prwesidency, the same mess would have been in the barn. The economy was crapped up, the banks were falling into ditches, still are, 170 closed so far, the deficit would have been where the Bush administration left it, foreclosures would have occurred, the national debt ceiling would have needed to be raised. All negatives that whoever was president would have to deal with. Everything the man said was truth and the reason he said them was because the Republicans want to put Bush's crap and the things he needed donesuch as deficit spending to get out of this mess, all on his shoulders. He willbe a great president regardless of the naysayers and those who don't want him to succeed, I can't wait. The stock market is headed to 11,000, the economy is starting to grow, 5.7% in the fourth quarter. Get ready to make up some story about how the Republicans are responsible for any success that happens. Oh that's right, they are out to lunch with their just say no. Never stopped them before from creating their own reality as you hsve been opting to do. Take care, get ready to seethe.
Hmm. 1: Bush is to fault. You get no argument from me. You got no argument from me in my response. Criticizing Obama DOES NOT MEAN I'm a Bush wagon rider. Turn off MSNBC and X out of Media Matters. Bush and every other politician for the past decade plus is responsible. None get a pass, Republican, Democrat or otherwise. 2: If you're so partisan that you applaud Obama for his 63rd "I didn't do it" speech, then I don't know what to say. Umm... Congratulations? We finally have a president who reminds us at every conceivable opportunity that he has NOTHING to do with the financial state we're in (even though he voted against regulations as a Senator, in between times voting "present" -- but I digress). Personally, I think he would be a much, much more effective president if he wasn't one of the world's biggest crybabies. Own up to the task at hand, stop pointing the finger every single time you open your mouth and work on being America's (means people of ALL ideologies) president. Simple advice. But no! Obama = Fox runs negative coverage, he opts for a war against them. People uneasy about terror decisions or negativity in Congress or blatant partisanship, he throws his own party under the bus by completely disassociating from politics. The Supreme Court makes a ruling he doesn't like, he literally LIES about it while throwing them under the bus -- one Justice he recently appointed! The American people look to him for answers in plain English, the best he can come up with is, "It's not my fault." Maybe you see something striking and great about the man, but I do not. Other presidents have criticized previous administrations and sitting politicians. Extremely true. But two points to that: Hope and change anyone? And exceeding the blame option by 30 speeches in his first year is grotesquely overboard. But, hey. If you're that partisan, knock yourself out. Literally.
@laglen (19783)
I would like to interject that #1 the President can NOT write a check. #2 Congress spends the money and who has had control of the congress for the last three years? Democrats including Obama and Biden who are now faulting Bush for policy they had a hand in........ stupid