How full are your stores' shelves?

@dragon54u (31185)
Today we are having a "winter storm" which means we're getting a big load of snow and ice! I checked the cupboards and fridge yesterday and decided I need some things--well, not needed but would like to have because I'll be stuck at home for a few days. Wow, the store was full of people!! It's a good thing I didn't want most items because some were all sold out, like bottled water. Other items were really depleted, especially the toilet paper and paper towels. I saw one elderly couple with at least 5 dozen eggs in their cart--they must like eggs! It was nice seeing people who plan ahead. When I lived in the desert southwest, we'd have power outages several times a year--it seemed every time the wind blew, the power went out! We would have floods when it rained some would get cut off from the main roads then they'd cry and whine because they didn't have the food they needed or their wells wouldn't work. Here, people take things seriously and get prepared. It's very refreshing to see that! Have you ever seen the shelves at your stores depleted or even empty? It's kind of a scary thing to see, even if you already have all you need.
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
I am in California and we don't have weather here. OK I lie. Last night was a pretty ferocious rain and windstorm. But I've never seen where weather affects the stores. Last time I saw a situation where there were 'shortages' was after the Northridge earthquake in 1994. It was mostly water and there was some price gouging and people hoarding. I think the price gougers got into some trouble with the authorities!
hi dawn I am in Southern Ca but we did not have any rain a nd wind storm yet but its supposed to be coming here today Friday, Oh do i remember that quake in Northridge, it just shook hard where I was but did no real damage. but as I was wor king in the library i had the task of putting back on the shelves all the books that had fallen down. Vons grocery also had canned stuff all over their floors but we were so lucky,we did not have it bad at all.
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
My brother worked in a grocery store and he can cans raining down on him. We had a few things fall and break, but not much. Not too far from us people had chimneys and walls that fell down. I was sleeping and I heard a loud boom, woke up and ran for the nearest door jamb. Scary...
@dragon54u (31185)
I remember that earthquake--I don't think I could live someplace where the earth shook! Worst of all, you never have any warning! It's always good to have a little stash of food and water, though, especially if the quakes should damage water pipes.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
In New Mexico I have never seen that due to getting very little snow in my area. If I lived closer to the mountains maybe I would see that happen. I have lived here now almost 3 years and have never had to shovel snow because its usually a dusting or maybe 2 inches of snow that will fall at any given time. It will then disappear before noon time due to the sun melting it.
@dragon54u (31185)
That sounds like a lovely place to live! I looked at the city's home page and the weather looks lovely. I like snow but of course, I don't like being snowbound and I don't like to shovel it. I'm thinking of moving once the housing market recovers in order to be closer to my sons in Arizona. What is your town like, how big, does it get hot in the summer?
hi dragon54u well since I live in Southern california we have little in the way of natural disasters except the occasional' earth jiggle. but whats so funny is that people ignore the earthquake kits that some stores sell all the time, but come an even slight tremor, they all rush in to buy all the kits they can afford. then the others gather dust til the next moderate jiggle and again the rush.A week or so ago we had that weird weather then people were really stocking up on stuff but our modern stores usually have a lot of stuff in storage so the shelves are never really bare for long.We had thunder storms, heavy rains, a tornado, waterspouts, very high surf with some idiot surfer drowned in the extra high surf. I remember when we lived in tempe Ariz we were always stocked up as the lights a lot of times did go out. now i am in California.
@dragon54u (31185)
I just don't understand people who go out and surf in such weather--I have such a healthy respect for the ocean that I stay out of it! What is in those earthquake kits? I never heard of those before!
@mzz663 (2776)
Usually when bad weather is coming around here, like you said, most bottled water and canned goods are either gone or in short supply. Especially items that you can eat without having to cook them. I make sure I have a good supply of peanut butter and jelly on hand with soft bread. I like to keep extra stuff stocked as much as I can throughout the year, that way when things are in short supply in the stores, I don't have to go without.
@dragon54u (31185)
You'd be surprised how many people could do that, but don't. I can live for a month or more on what I have here in the house and I always keep extra dog food, too. I don't know why people wait till the last minute, although I understand that some simply can't afford to have extra on hand. You're smart to be prepared!
@mzz663 (2776)
Ohhh!! thanks for the reminder!! That's one thing I do need! dogfood! yikes! I think it might be done snowing here, we got a lot but I will have to go out and go get dog food, I'm low on it and these guys get hungry!!
@dragon54u (31185)
Depending on where you are, I hope you got the dog food! I'm in Ohio and it's going to start again tomorrow (Monday) night and dump another 4-8" from a storm coming from the west!
@GreenMoo (11842)
I generally keep such a well stocked store cupboard that I´ve no need to worry and race to the shops if bad weather threatens. My Mum was telling me that the recent snow in her part of England caused her local shops to run out of milk and other day to day groceries, which is something I´d never seen before.
@dragon54u (31185)
I hear that snow really messes you guys up. I had always thought that the UK was very snowy in the winter but apparently not. I guess I've seen too many movies!
@GreenMoo (11842)
The problem with snow in the UK is that it always seems to catch everyone by surprise, which is absolute nonsense of course!
@ElicBxn (59912)
I went to Walmart and they didn't have any of my Crystal Light Focus. I mean, NONE. And they didn't have a lot of the other "Kool Ades" as the roomie calls them. We went to HEB and found it there, and **happy happy joy joy** some True Orange!!! I like the Focus - caffeine...!!!
@dragon54u (31185)
I've never heard of Crystal Light Focus but I do love caffeine. I'm big on coffee!
@ElicBxn (59912)
I'm not a big coffee fan, I put so much milk in it its fattening - but hot tea is all right, but this is a cold drink and I like cold drinks better.
@peavey (15380)
I keep my pantry well stocked, so running to the store when a snowstorm is predicted is not something I worry about. Around here, snowstorms are not uncommon, so people don't pay that much attention to them. They mean, at the most, two or three days when you couldn't get out to shop... do these people shop every day, that they can't get by for a couple of days? I agree that it's good to prepare, but it doesn't make sense to panic and buy things to last for weeks because a storm is going to keep you home for a couple of days.
@dragon54u (31185)
I think that just the thought of having to be at home for a couple of days freaks people out. We are so mobile these days that we are no longer used to staying home and that can convey a sense of emergency to people. I keep my supplies stocked so that I could be at home for a month, maybe two, before I run out of everything I need. It makes me feel secure.
@peavey (15380)
I think you're right. People are not used to staying at home for even one day. It's kind of scary when you think about it. If something unexpected happened they couldn't survive for long. I, too, feel secure in knowing that I have food and water for quite some time - just in case.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
It is just starting here. I haven't been in the store. I did go to Dollar General and get milk. My son takes his liquid antibiotics in cereal, so I had to have milk. My mom told me the stores are packed.
@dragon54u (31185)
I'm south of you, near Dayton, and it started here around 9AM. It hasn't stopped and probably won't until tomorrow morning. It's so pretty!! I'm so grateful not to be out in it, though, to be able to go out by choice and not be stuck without shelter. The stores were packed yesterday when I went. I haven't ventured out today and won't until the roads are all clear and dry. I hope you and your family stay warm, safe and entertained!
@Thoroughrob (11771)
It is snowing like crazy right now. We are only under an advisory, but all counties around us are under a warning. I would bet we will be on level 2 or 3 in the next hour.
I've seen some store shelves depleated here & there. Alot of that has to do with the trucks being stranded somewhere else and unable to make their deliveries especially when the weather gets bad this time of year. No biggie... I always stock up when I have the extra money & a good sale. We are usually just barely getting by but this week our grocery store has 8 for $10 on Kelloggs, Keebler & Sunshine brand items it's cheaper than Aldi's so I about filled our cart to capacity! They even have my fav cereal wich is never on sale as part of the deal But I bet when I check next week the shelves will be a lil empty provided they didn't order enough... then I'll have a go @ a raincheck so I can stock up again :0D 5 dozen eggs?!?!?! Maybe they were expecting company? Or like ya said big egg eaters I know my Grandmother used to make alot of eggs when I was small.
@dragon54u (31185)
We ate a lot of eggs when I was little. It's a very good food, lots of protein and vitamins. Maybe they had family staying with them? That's a great sale you got! What cereal is your favorite? I like Raisin Bran Crunch but save $2 a box by buying the Kroger brand which is just as good. I always like to have extra around, at least 2-4 weeks' worth of food and water. It was hard to do, though, when the kids were little and we spent so much on groceries!
• Marion, Kansas
I always have a supply of food on hand and water, too. I may need a little more of that. Anyway, I never am in the store panic buying, as I buy tp and paper towels in bulk. I have paper plates if I cannot wash dishes. I have flashlights, batteries, candles and oil lamps. Board games and cards and books and blankets.I have powdered milk and canned milk and canned meat and all kinds of things to eat. I might not have exactly what I want but I will not starve. I avoid the store when it might be crowded.
@dragon54u (31185)
I'm glad you are so prepared! I did not think about dirty dishes but that would be a real concern to have them lying around attracting germs. You have found a hole in my armor!! Once this storm is over and the streets are clear and dry, I will get paper plates and plastic flatware, etc. Thank you, Gerty!!
@bellis716 (4807)
Empty shelves at the military commissary on Mondays. I don't think they restock on the weekend. I'm going to the commissary tomorrow.
@dragon54u (31185)
Commissaries should be the last places with empty shelves, our servicemen and women deserve better.
@bunnybon7 (30989)
• Holiday, Florida
i had heard there was another storm coming. think winter is never ending in the very year im worried about daughter. I never had much problem here in this part of AZ (Phoenix area), but once when a hurricane was expected in florida, most stores ran out of lots of supplies. it was awful scarey
@dragon54u (31185)
You certainly don't have to worry about snow there but there were a few flakes a couple of times in the 28 years I lived there. It's really pretty in Carefree/Cave Creek when some snow accumulates on the cacti. I prefer it here, though! My sons live and work in Phoenix, where they were born and raised. They said there was a torrential rain not long ago and the roads were a mess. That's one thing about Phoenix, when it rains it as if a great catastrophe has happened and everyone panics and slams on the brakes! My mom and sister live in Florida, I know what you mean about worrying about hurricanes. Mom was here during Ike but last season was a non-event, thank God. She'll be here again if another one looks as if it'll hit land.
@mentalward (14716)
It's good to be prepared but, who really needs 5 dozen eggs? I mean, especially when it's not a blizzard. It might take a few days but roads do clear. I saw a woman once who had at least 10 loaves of bread for a storm that was not supposed to give us more than 6 inches. That's going overboard! My son told me that WalMart was packed early Thursday morning and most of the staples like bread and milk were almost sold out. It's better to have too much than too little, especially with the snow we're supposed to get here. The last update was for 20 to 30 inches with some areas in excess of 30 inches. Plus, MORE snow is predicted for Tuesday/Wednesday of next week! I could understand people buying 4 or 5 loaves of bread, especially if they have kids, but some people go way overboard. I like to have lots of soup in the house in case we're snowbound. We have a snow blower so we can now get out of our driveway and the private road we're on is plowed after every snow by one of the residents in our community. I always fill a few gallon jugs with filtered water, just in case. I almost always have an extra loaf of bread in the freezer and that should be plenty until we can get out to buy more. Even with the possibility of over 30 inches, I'm not panicking. I was out on Wednesday and picked up things we were short on and did get some extra cans of soup but that's it. I know we'll be able to get out within a few days at the most. My mother used to call me whenever snow was predicted, even if only a dusting was expected. She'd ask me the obvious, "Do you have enough bread? milk? toilet paper?" If she saw one flake, she'd go into panic mode. I always tried to reassure her that we had a convenience store within walking distance and I could also pick up anything she might need. Of course, she didn't want me driving but I've never been afraid of driving in snow. I'm afraid of the other drivers and do my best to steer clear of them, but I have no problem driving in it. Let's hope everyone is safe and gets through this storm with power intact and enough food and water to last until we can all get outside again.
@dragon54u (31185)
I'm glad you're prepared! And happy to hear you got your snowblower! My mom is like that, too. She worries if she hears there's snow here. Every time my kids hear there is a blizzard or bad storm in the midwest they think I'm smack dab in the middle of it!
@webeishere (36377)
Christmas Day 2009 - My yard on 12-25-09. There's roughly about 2 feet on the ground in this shot.
Luckiliy, I guess, I live in Minnesota where we get a lot of snow storms/blizzards. Therefore people here do not freak as other areas do. My shelves are full of stuff to last a week or so food and water wise. So therefore, the stores here, when we have an impending store, are not jammed packed. Last night, Thursday, we got a few inches of frozen rain and snow mixed and the roads were bad but I still ventured out twice none the less. Minnesotans love the snow for the most part. At least I do. Here's a photo of my yard on Christmas Morning. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@dragon54u (31185)
That's gorgeous! I wouldn't want to be Buster and have to go potty, though, or be you and have to get the mail! The funniest thing about yesterday was two older guys talking in the aisle and one guy said there sure were a lot of people there and the other replied oh, he guesses everyone is afraid of a little snow--their carts were piled high with multiples of the same items! I would not have gone but I just avoid going out when the roads are bad. Since they're being very conservative with salt these days, I'd rather just stay home. Plus, the snow plow comes through and the alley where I exit from my garage is as deep or deeper than the snow around your mailbox!