Yet more new cats

@ElicBxn (60684)
Turns out that the friend that died has 3 cats. Two will be catch-able, but the 3rd might have to be trapped. donno their names, maybe someone does - her aunt maybe guess what? back to 30!!! This family is not the greatest as I might've implied in my previous discussion, but when I asked if she had any cats, and they told me 3 my response was "When do you want me to come get them?" I think I've suddenly become useful....
@dragon54u (31557)
Wow, I would hate to have your pet food and vet bills!! Bless you for taking care of the kitties. Lord knows what would happen to them if not for your kindness. I just went outside to take my strays' food out--cold, windy and snow, snow, snow!! The first one approached as soon as he/she saw me go inside.
@ElicBxn (60684)
the vet bills aren't as bad as they could be if I went to a regular vet... Still, we just spent 40 bucks on litter and that's only for 2 weeks
• Marion, Kansas
We just had one hitchhike with my hubby and go to a new home at my nieces' house. Someone I know is cleaning out her house, and a cat has been hanging out in the neighborhood. She and her neighbor hate it. Hubby stopped by to help by picking something up, and the cat got in the car with him. My niece had already said she would take the cat, if we could catch it.It is a very unique, long haired silvery manx.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Dragon, hi! Elic may still have a small dog house that was just outside her front door. On cold or wet days & nights, outside animals could curl up inside it, which is much safer than crawling up under a car hood. ALWAYS thump your car hood on cold, wet days, to scare any cats out of there, lest they be killed when you start your engine! Anyway, I recommend you try to provide any strays such a shelter. More than one, if needed. Even better would be if you could run a warm light bulb into it for really cold nights. It's the next best thing to trying to get them inside when they're afraid of you. Maggiepie "Turn off your TVs. Don't watch your MSNBC, your Fox, your ABC." -- B. Obama "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" -- The Wizard of Oz
@dawnald (84133)
• Shingle Springs, California
30 is a nice even number...
@ElicBxn (60684)
yeah - even - I would LIKE to get it back down to 20!
@dawnald (84133)
• Shingle Springs, California
2's are better than 3's....
Oh ElicBxn, you are not only useful, you are the kitties savior! What a heart of gold you have my dear, and I'm sure all those kitties appreciate you more than you know. Wow, 30, just unbelievable! Do you get any sort of help on feeding them and vet bills, etc? I would hope so for your sake. You are an angel in disguise to all those precious cats.
@Maggiepie (7821)
And dogs. She takes some of those in as well. Maggiepie "Turn off your TVs. Don't watch your MSNBC, your Fox, your ABC." -- B. Obama "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" -- The Wizard of Oz
@minx267 (11110)
• Hartford, Connecticut
My highest was 27.. Now you really have me beat!.. I like 14.. I fell I still have room for a few more.. But my Roomie might not agree with me.. He says I should start feeding the cats to the dogs.. :-) But since his dog is smaller than my cats and not as nice.. I say we start there.. LOL
@ElicBxn (60684)
yeah, I'm feeling it, but I still am trying to find homes
@polachicago (19077)
It is so nice of you to help with all cats. My city limit is to have 3 pets total. I wouldn't mind to have animal shelter. I hate to think about unwanted animals. Cats are easier than dogs, but it is very expensive, not mention veterinary cost.
@paula27661 (15899)
30 cats, my goodness, where do you keep them all? Are they all indoor cats? Surely not…I have two indoor cats and although I feel I could house one more my husband won’t allow it because we have a dog and a bird as well and I’m sure that if I brought any more pets home he would probably file for divorce! I admire what you do for these kitties, if it wasn’t for people like you, there would be a lot more abandoned cats! Yep, it does sound like there is a job for you!
@ElicBxn (60684)
yes, they are inside, but I don't have one of those "husband" things to worry about...
@paula27661 (15899)
Lucky you!
• Marion, Kansas
I think we had 32 cats and kittens once when I was a kid. Mom thought she was "Breeding" Siamese, but they were not registered or anything.May have been more than that, cause I think we had six mama cats at one time.
@ElicBxn (60684)
At least I'm not breeding any - all mine are fixed. If these come aren't, they will be. I think they might be - or they are females - but anyway, they soon will be.
• Marion, Kansas
Spaying and neutering is always at the top of the list when new cats come to our house.
@cerebellum (3871)
30 is a lot of cats.! I assume you will try to find good homes for them. You must be an angel in disguise to take that many animals in. I love cats, but I couldn't handle that many. My brother left town and left his animals for me to take care of. I went over and fed them until I found homes for them. He had two dogs and a cat. I can't imagine how anyone could leave their animals like that. He knew I would take care of them. I thought about taking them in, for about two seconds. I don't really care for dogs and I didn't think I could handle another cat! I only had 4 but that seemed like enough. I could barely afford to feed them and take them to the vets. I couldn't have afforded 5!
@ElicBxn (60684)
Yes, it is a lot of cats. And we can tell when we get a few more in to the mix because of the food bowl does get empty quicker... Oh well, they really are worth saving. We are looking for homes for some of them. Some we've promised to not rehome. Some.. well, some are like Rygel and Oliver, just too near and dear to rehome.
It would be hard not to become attached to them. One of my cats had a litter and I would have kept them all if I could have!
@gabs8513 (48764)
Lol Elic well I think it is wonderful that you asked and said that you will get them Goodness I thought it was bad to have 2 Dogs and 4 Cats but 30 Cats and then you have Dogs to lol you must have your Hands full there
@ElicBxn (60684)
yeah, there are 3 of us and we each have a dog - tho my dog thinks he's the roomie's...
@pyewacket (44032)
You most certainly are useful How do you manage it all though? I know how expensive it can be since I used to have a lot of kitties myself
@ElicBxn (60684)
oh, I mean useful to the family - they had so little use for their daughter/sister... well, we free feed and we could probably take the cats to the vets more often... but we do take them when they need something - like spaying or they are sick.
@jwfarrimond (4475)
You're a saint or a hero or both Elic! I don't know how you manage to deal with all those cats in one place! I have enough trouble in ensuring peaceful co-habitation between my five most of the time and there's usually some squabbling at night before they all settle down. I really can't imagine what it'd be like with 30 or even 20 cats!
@ElicBxn (60684)
I'm really lucky that I've only got a few that just HATE the other cats - Zhaan is the worst. I have a few that LOVE other cats, Rygel and Booboo are both good with kittens, but Rygel is good with other cats, period. Most of these cats have now been here so long that they don't really remember being only cats if they ever were.
@writersedge (22579)
I'm still trying to figure out how you afford all these cats. I have two and it's expensive. Nice what you're doing. I don't suppose they offered to hepl in some way.
@ElicBxn (60684)
HA! I guess I'm just lucky they hadn't already taken them to the pound.
how big is your place? If my husband and I had the space, and the money, we'd be The Crazy Cat Couple of Guelph. :) We love cats, and would love to have a whole house full of them. He's already bugging me to get a kitten. I just hope our older cat would like a new little one. I'd love to have a kitten, I just want to make sure that Shakti doesn't try to eat him, or something. LOL
@ElicBxn (60684)
there are ways to introduce new cats to old ones, without too much fighting.
@jugsjugs (13045)
I have 5 cats,we did have 6 but one sadley got ran over.If we could afford it we would move and have a cats home.I have always wanted a ragdoll cat and if i ever see one that needs a home i will be getting it.I would never want a kitten as i think there are alot of adult cats out there that need a home.I am for ever taking in cats as well as other animals that need a good home.You sound a very caring person shame there was not more people out there that are like you.
@ElicBxn (60684)
I've wanted a ragdoll too, but not that long hair, bad enough with the 3 long haired cats I've GOT!
@BarBaraPrz (19053)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Oh, not so suddenly... you've always been useful.
@ElicBxn (60684)
yeah, well, the family didn't know me - I don't think I've seen the one sister I ever really met since the early 1980's
@Lakota12 (42684)
yup ya have
@Loverbear (4928)
You sound so much like me. It's the "come get your cats" syndrome. Of course being a huge animal lover we can't say no and end up with more cats than we really are comfortable with. It looks like I may end up with another inside boarder. My 19 year old black cat snuck in last night. I saw a bit of black and wasn't sure, then I looked up and saw a whole cat!!! He got to spend an hour in the house checking things out...and he is hovering around the door looking for another chance to come in. He is good with the dogs (no hissing contests) and the hour was without any major cat fights so maybe I might let him in more. It amazes me how much he progressed. He was so totally wild that if you went outside and did a SBD he would run like a rabbit. When he had the face infection he was so frightened and sick that he welcomed a human caring for him. When he got well and realized that it was my doing that kept him going he decided to wrap himself around me and adore me forever. That's the kind of thing that makes 4, 7, or even thirty cats worth while! Oh, and last night was a hoot. I had a doctors appointment and so time was at a premium because I also had class too. I stopped at the gas station as the needle was on "E", and it wasn't enough. So I raced in, gave my card so I could pump the gas, finished pumping, raced in to get the unused amount put back on my card and flew into the car and started to class. The next thing was my seeing blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror. Oh $HIT! I hadn't run any red lights, made illegal turns, I wasn't speeding and all my lights were working properly. So I pulled over and kept my hands on the steering wheel. I watched in the rear view mirror and the officer walked up to the rear of the wagon and screwed the gas cap back on the tank opening and shut my door. He then walked up to the drivers window and I rolled it down. He explained that he saw me leave the station with everything undone and realized that I had forgotten to deal with the stuff. That was okay but he was putting his arm on the roof of the car. I said "You really don't want to put your arm on the roof of the car". He jerked his arm off and asked why. I replied "If the spots on the roof are brown it's cat boogers....if they're clear it's cat drool". He started with "Damn," and finished with "and it's a clean shirt". Of course with the week I've been having what followed just fell out of my mouth "That's okay, I need to wash the car anyhow." Instant ticket anyone? He just looked at me for a few seconds (watching me squirm I'm sure) then smiled and asked about the cat. He heard about my black old man and that he was a 19 year old outside cat. We talked cats for a few minutes and I didn't get a ticket. I was late for class though...which didn't matter too much. And the officer didn't set his arm in cat boogers, just cat spit.
@doormouse (4619)
we have 4 cats,but if my boyfriend would let me,i'd have as many as i could fit in the house,i love cats
@kaylachan (4776)
Usuful can be a good thing. At least you are making an effort to help the animals. Not many people do that anymore. Sounds like what my mom would say though about the number of animals. aawww I hope things turn out well for you and those cats. I'm sure you'll be able to catch them. It'll just take time.