Does adding sweetener or sugar to tea ruin tea's benefits?

Does adding sweetener or sugar to tea ruin tea's benefits? My mom said that recently, but I find I still like to add a little bit of sweetener, wether it be honey, agave, truvia, or sugar. I have also tried drinking tea without sweetener, and it's not so bad in taste. So how do you take your tea? With or without sweetener?
@cbjones (1157)
I grew up in the south. I'm used to having a lot of sugar in my cup of tea. Sweet Tea is the greatest thing on the planet I'm scared to drink that stuff without sugar. I'd rather let my teeth get soft and fall out than to sacrifice my sweeter. Green tea is different though. I don't think sugar would make that stuff any better than it already is(it's pretty awesome by default.)
@Masihi (4229)
Try stevia, you can get it in the health-food or pharmacy section at the local grocery store or any health food store, it's actually quite good and won't rot out your teeth, yet gives you a nice sweet cup of tea. :-)
@Masihi (4229)
I use Stevia extract or powder, it's all-natural and diabetes-friendly. I don't think it's the sweetner itself that ruins the tea's benefits, it's what kinds of sweeteners that you use that matters - too many cups of tea with sugar is like having all kinds of candy, aspertane is totally unhealthy PERIOD, honey's good in moderation.
@donna22 (1120)
Its probably best not to add sugar or sweetener because these bring up the calorie content. Honey is better because it is natural. I just have herbal tea like peppermint or chamomile rather than normal tea with milk so I dont add anything else to it.
@ElicBxn (59124)
nope, mom is wrong this time - sugar or low/no cal sweetners are not going to take away the goodness in tea - but age does, so more than a few hours old, it loses most of the good things in the tea Now, not to say that what you add might not have some negative effects in itself lots of folk don't like the taste of sweet & low and equal seems to cause problems, but if you can safely take it, it doesn't remove the good stuff in the tea
@atleya (949)
Hi, it is usually I drink a cup of coffee in the morning. But, this morning, I try to drink a cup of tea. It is green tea, and I add some sugar. It is also my question whether it is okay to drink green tea with sugar, or we must drink such tea without sugar, to take more benefit on it. By the way, I prefer to drink such beverages in sweet taste. Best wishes,
@pengbubu (1015)
I don't add sugar or sweetener to tea because I like the taste with a little brinish/bitter.
@Aaleexix (2291)
Actually if the user is not diabetic or high pressure patient then adding sugar is not harmful. Adding sugar increase the calorie value of tea.