Another waiting at a light story

@ElicBxn (60016)
I was still working when this happened. In fact, it was in 2001, I remember because I had profound thought around the same time... another discussion... Anyway, I was sitting at this light and this BIG moth landed on my windshield. I thought - "this is a strange time of day for that moth to be out." It was trying to fly but wasn't getting very good traction and was kind of "flying" across my windshield. Then this bird came down, it had an yellow breast, but was a pretty good sized bird, it hovered over my car for a moment, then darted down and grabbed the moth and flew up to the line over head. I twisted around to look, the bird sat there - I guess it ate the bug. Now, I'm not big fan of birds, but they come ahead of bugs any day, and any bug that has the nerve to land that close to me, well, I'm happy to see it feed the birds... Not to say I haven't seen birds catch bugs before, but I had never seen this kind of bird before and never from quite this angle! You ever "catch" a bird in such an act? It was interesting.
@writersedge (22579)
Before our cats decided to feast on birds, we used to put food out for them. We had some yellow birds with some black. They were quite distinguished looking. The crows will send out a scout and call, "Caw, caw, caw" when you put the food out and they all swoop down. Blue Jays will take the food right out of other bird's mouths. They're bigger than the other birds that come to the feeder (except crows) and they will throw their weight around. Birds, if well managed, can be cool. But if not, entire flocks will eat all the seeds a farmer sews. Robbing us of crops. But that's mostly the land gulls up here, they used to be sea gulls, but I don't know what happened. They came inland and they're a problem.
@ElicBxn (60016)
well, the Blue Jays and the Mockingbirds are about the same size and temperament - those are the 2 I generally see harassing the hawks! The grackles - a branch of the black bird family like crows - are the only things bigger and nastier than those 2. The pigeons are of a size, but they have a more peaceful temperament... From the grackles (and they will steal and eat baby birds BTW) you jump up to the smaller hawks...
@ElicBxn (60016)
@ElicBxn (60016)
grrr - about to pitch this out the door!!!
@Lakota12 (42794)
Nothing like this ,but saw a think they were mom and dad walk the baby across the street
@ElicBxn (60016)
the mom and dad bird walking the baby across the street? I remember another light and a big wind. Every time the bird tried to fly, he went backward. He finally WALKED across the street - well, what was left of it anyway - about half a lane. I could see other drivers pointing and laughing about it.
@Lakota12 (42794)
yup it was in my yard for along time and mom and dad stayed close so when baby decided to go walking fartehr they went with it.\ Was so great to see for if the babys fall out of the trees ya can touch them to try to put them back in nest thats if ya can see it. I try to get them where mom and dad can see tham and also try to keep the darn cats away from them. Birds walk around here on the streets all the time but if car gets close they fly but really cant in a hard wind now can they!
@Lakota12 (42794)
thanks for BR
well..kind of. only it was a hawk and a road runner. i was outside in my yard in tucson,and this hawk swooped down on a poor hapless road runner and carried it away to a tree.and promptly rained parts down on my car. i told him get back here and finish his meal they're fast,but not faster than hawks appearently.
@ElicBxn (60016)
yuk I once was in Austin - yes, in town - and there was this silly roadrunner running around the rush hour traffic - not on the highway, but still!!!
oh yea.there's as bad as seagulls sometimes. and just as bad with dumpster diving.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
No, but we did have a hummingbird nest in the ficus on our porch. first time around, I'm pretty sure she managed to raise them (we went in through the garage), but second time I think something got into the nest...
@ElicBxn (60016)
that must've been interesting - I remember seeing some pix come thru years ago of a person who photoed a hummingbird raising her babies outside a window - lets see if I can find it well, this isn't the pix I remember, but still, very cool! http://howtoenjoyhummingbirds.com/hummingbird_nests.htm
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
very...
@ShepherdSpy (8563)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
The place where I work is set in its own grounds,with trees all around,so it's quite peaceful and isolated,apart from the main road going past the access roads..Coming in to work one day,there was what looked like a small exploded feather cushion lying on the access road as I drove in,and as soon as I'd parked,On the way to the entrance I stopped to look back there as some kind of a Hawk landed by the "Cushion"..it must have been a Dove or Wood pigeon the Hawk had ambushed in midair that had landed on the road -I must have driven in just after the attack,as the Hawk was then trying to get off the ground carrying it's victim..I'd never seen a Bird of Prey with its Kill outside of a Wildlife Documentary before!
@ElicBxn (60016)
really - this was the closest I've ever seen outside of vids...
@gabs8513 (48803)
I bet that was amazing to watch I have to say I don't like it but for a bird to come that close just to get a bug is rare No I have never had that kind of an experience like you I am not much of a Bird Lover as such, I don't mind when they sit still but as soon as they fly I panic lol
@ElicBxn (60016)
I'm not a big bird fan either, but I'm not afraid of them. I'm actually not real afraid of too many things that are smaller than I am - cows - yes, birds - no... I don't mean nice contained cows either, I mean free ranging steers, those things with the pointy stuff on their heads that you might be between them and where they want to be... But I'll watch about anything - in case you haven't figure that out, and birds can be quite interesting - outside of course...
@dragon54u (31293)
The other day I was sitting on my front porch watching the snow and had my eyes on my neighbor's tree. It's a pretty little tree with pink flowers in the spring and red berries in the winter--when it snows it's beautiful! Anyway, there was a cardinal sitting on a branch and a starling wanted that same branch. Of course, there was a brief struggle and much screaming and cussing in bird language. Of all the branches on that tree, why would the starling want the one the cardinal was using? It reminded me of humans who always want what someone else has.
@ElicBxn (60016)
actually, knowing starlings, he probably didn't want another bird in the same TREE... pushy little cusses...
• Marion, Kansas
Does it count that I watched my grandma's chicken catch a baby snake when I was a kid? I have enjoyed birds in my yard and some kind of a yellow finch would land on the face of the sunflowers and eat the seeds. That same summer a red colored finch of some kind would eat off the plants that were blooming red.
@ElicBxn (60016)
I guess. I saw a grackle messing with something long and thin and went to check it out. It was a baby snake and I stood over it until it was safely away (I like snakes, remember...) That reminds me of the birds that were migrating one time that landed in the fig tree - had the prettiest bell-like voices.
@jennybianca (12918)
I havent sen a bird catch a moth from a car window. I once ghot in my car, sdat down, put in the seatbelt, and then saw a huge huntsman spider on the windiow screen. Fortunately it was on the outside, but I still freaked out. I tore out of the car and calmed myself down before I got rid of the spider. My cat caught a moth once and brought it inside. Yuk!