A Survey Says Many People Would Rather Spend Valentine's Day With Pet

@pyewacket (44036)
I found this kind of funny in a way. Last night I heard on the World News Now, that a survey was taken among over 24,000 people who would rather spend their Valentine's Day with the pet rather than their partner/spouse. Of course, the survey seemed to indicate that younger people or people of low incomes were more likely to spend V-Day with their pet companion perhaps since both couldn't afford an all out romantic type celebration that older or wealthier people would be able to manage. The survey also noted the differences according to country. The highest ratio of people spending V-Day was Turkey at 49-percent, while the lowest was France at 10-percent. The US came in 27-percent of people spending their V-Day with their pet. Well folks since Valentine's Day IS coming up, how about it? Do you have some romantic, elegant rendezvous with a loved one? A night on the town? Special dinner? Or would you too rather stay home and spend V-Day with your pet? Are you planning to get any special treats for your furbaby? I mean why not, right? If you love your pet, maybe they should be involved with V-Day celebrations, right? Here's an article all about it : http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=9774280
@jennybianca (12914)
No, Im not spending Valentines Day with my loved one. My ex and I separated abouyt 4 months ago, due to domestic violence. I was devastared and still am. The separation and property settlment has become very nasty. Lotys of bad things are happening. I dont even want to think about Valentines Day. My 16 year old daughter will be having her boyfriend here for Valentines Day, so I guess it will be hard to forget it all. I love my pets and am happy to spend the day with them.(and my daughter).
@jennybianca (12914)
Thank you very much.
@pyewacket (44036)
Oh my goodness jennybianca I'm so sorry to hear about this and I hope somehow soon you can put this all behind you and start living life again...at least you got out of the situation
Jenny...my prayers are with you, and I am so proud that you ended the violence..and I truly know how difficult it is....been there, done that..many years ago, and if there is anything I can do to help...just be the anonymous EAR that listens...I am here! Please feel free to contact...but PLEASE believe in yourself...you are in control now, and my prayers are that you will begin to heal soon.
I will spend the evening with the pets, because hubby will be working. They love me already, because I am giving them wonderful home cooked meals with their regular food.
@polachicago (19073)
They love you for much more than home cooked food. I see that I am not the only one who is cooking for pets...
@pyewacket (44036)
I'll be spending V-day home with my two babies. Funny, mine don't really care too much for people food...I've spoiled them too much with their favorite Fancy Feast--though Pyewacket loves to share my scrambled eggs for breakfast
My "furbabies" always get a special treat on any major holidays, including Valentines Day as they truly give me so much unconditional love. Actually I bought some chicken tenders yesterday to make them dehydrated chicken treats which is a big favorite.
@pyewacket (44036)
sounds great..Shhhh...don't give my kitties any ideas about chicken tenders. I might open up a can of Solid White ALBACORE tuna..the real expensive kind--I don't even have it that often--they usually get it
@moondancer (7434)
Hello pye, I will purchase something else for my babies for Valentines Day. I already got them a stuffed animal each. I also have some beef jerky treats in the bags for them. I will spend the day with my grandchildren, 2 of my children, and my babies. My husband will not be home from Canada until the 19th and then we will go out to dinner. We are going to my mothers in Alabama so we will also be taking her out for a nice meal at her favorite restaurant. I sent things in the mail to my sons family since they will not be here or we will not be there.
@pyewacket (44036)
It's a shame your husband won't be home until the 19th but good that you'll make up for it once he does come home and have a special dinner. Have a great time with your mother
@BlueGhost (130)
hmm what a great idea,, maybe i will go dinner with my dogs in that day
@pyewacket (44036)
Why not?
@Loverbear (4928)
Okay Pye, have you got my house bugged? I was just talking about getting some bones for the dogs and maybe some canned tuna for the cats. Of course the fur babies will be with me as I plan to spend time relaxing behind the sewing machine making curtains for the family room. I don't know if Bill has anything planned for dinner out (I hope not) but if he doesn't I plan to have pork chops and a fancy dinner at home. I will say at times life is much easier to spend with the furry buddies in my house, except for Little Bit. Little Bit has decided since the upset last week he needs to protect me, unfortunately his barking doesn't stop at strange noises outside...if too many people talk on the television he barks, if the cats race down the hall he barks, if I fart in the bathroom he really has a fit. Then if birds fart a mile away he would have a fit. Other than that, the rest of the crew will either sleep on my bed (as Bill said, I am ALLOWED to use the bed a few hours during the night but the rest of the time it's the cats bed!)or sacked out somewhere in the house ignoring me. So, it makes it very easy to spend the time with them, including if I take a nap...after moving the cats!
@pyewacket (44036)
So your cats ALLOW you to use your bed for awhile...mine two...in fact as I write this now, Pyewacket is comfortably snoozing on my bed. And even when I do go to bed I wind up sleeping like a pretzel since the two will be on the bed and just why is it my two cats feel like they weigh 150 pounds each? PS--I had read your discussions about your life in hell thing and just didn't know how to reply as it was a lot of crap that you were going through--hope things have settled down by now and you're not so depressed...I still have another battle I'm going through. I did get my SSI benefits reinstated....but the jerks had informed Medicaid my benefits had stopped so now Medicaid has stopped my health care...lovely...plan to call them tomorrow and maybe that representative..why should I have to reapply for Medicaid when it was SSA's error?
I think spend Valentine's with pet is a good way to go.Pet is the most loyality partner,and for our young people,we can save money and have a happy valentine's day.It is good,I think.
@pyewacket (44036)
I sometimes think pets are more loyal than people, don't you?
@polachicago (19073)
I didn't know anything about survey and I said today on one of mylot discussion that I am going to buy valentine gift for my pets...I even mentioned freeze dry liver treats for my pets. So funny, I am in the 27% of people in USA who are going to celebrate with my pets...
@pyewacket (44036)
Somehow I think that percentage is higher don't you? I know I'm sharing that day with my two kitties
@polachicago (19073)
part of it yes, but I am also going with my camera to Chinatown to take some pictures, because of the beginning of Chinese new year....
@polachicago (19073)
yes, percentage is much higher, just remember, not everyone was taking surveys...
@BarBaraPrz (20753)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yeah, I'll be spending the day with my sweetie... Harmony. She's the only one who truly loves me, sob sob...
@BarBaraPrz (20753)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I just cleaned her litter box (we use the clumping kind) and there was a heart-shaped clump. I told ya she loves me!
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes my two kitties are the only one that truly love me too...LOL. Aww, a heart shaped clump?
I don't really have any pets or lover to celebrate the Valentine's day with. But I find it quite weird to celebrate this day with your pet. You may like your pet a lot but not to that kind of extend.
@pyewacket (44036)
Why should it be weird? I don't have a "lover" so why shouldn't I spend the day with my two kitties who are like family to me?
Gosh, pye...I guess a whole army of us here on myLot are weird...as one myLotter here always signs off...The more I know my pets--the less I like people! BUT I just love the "weird" company I am in..LOL!
There are no special person to be with this coming Valentines Day besides friends, family and pets. Yes I would rather spend my valentines day with my pets. My dogs are sweet even some of my cats. You will not find me outside during valentines as Valentines would be Sunday. I think I will be here inside at home and spending whole day watching television. Of course I will give something for my mother. Nothing else. A gift from a special someone, that is impossible no special someone.
@pyewacket (44036)
I don't have anyone "special" in my life either, so yes, will be spending my V-Day at home with my two kitties
say hello to your two kitties from me! I love kittens.
@catdla1 (6005)
Pets don't hog the computer, take over the television or argue. They appreciate whatever you do for them, no matter if it's a really small something. Who wouldn't spend the day with a pet? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to spend one more day with our pets who are no longer with us?
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes it would be nice to spend an extra day with our pets that are no longer with us...I sometimes think they are with us even if we don't always realize it--I often feel a brush against my leg for instance and when I look down no one is there, meaning it's not my present two kitties
@SHAMRACK (8532)
Dear friend, Lucky pets, may be this survey really had came out with something very rare in our place in India. Valentine day is not supported here in India as it is against Indian culture. Not everyone but a minority groups of people. Still there are many who spent valentine day with their loved one.
@pyewacket (44036)
Why is Valentine's Day against Indian culture??
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Pye,For me I would rather spend V-Day with my pets one it is more loving and two it is way to expensive to go out anywhere and mainly three there is no man in my life whom I would like to spend it with! So my pets come first and it will be lovely to spend the night in with them more than anything else....hugs LoLo
@pyewacket (44036)
My kitties are special in my life too, and can't think of a better way to spend V-Day then with them...and nope no "special" person in my life either
hi pyewacket well I guess as I have no home now except Gold crest and I have no pet,just my sweet rather ditzy roommate,a nd there are ninety some of us here at Gold Crest I will be spending it doing what I do all the time, mylot and read and listen to music, and eat and sleep, not very exciting,my son will come to see me thursday and thats always special to me. oh we will have some type of celebration but not on the day as that is Sunday and we only have a skeleton crew here on Sundays. I would love to have my hubby alive for this day to go out and h ave a special dinner but I have been a widow for years and years. My son would come on Sundays but the bus schedules are so bad on Sundays so thursday has become our day now.
@pyewacket (44036)
Aww--it's a shame that your son can't be there on Sunday...well then make this Thursday a Valentine's Day--let me know if he brings you anything special that day
I think its sad that people would rather spend time with a pet than with a significant other. I guess if you hate the other person a pet would not be the same as to argue with. People would rather be greeted by the dog then their loved ones because a dog doesn't judge.
@pyewacket (44036)
LOL--I spend my Valentine's Day with my two cats...uh, I don't have a significant other
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey pye! You don't have to ask me twice what my preference is! Of course it is my babies! Star & Luna are my Valentines! I love them more than I could ever love any human! And now that I am "single" (yes, he is gone!) they are the loves of my life and always were and always will be! I just have to decide what to do for them for Valentines Day! They don't like "people food" except for Luna who loves ice cream, but I don't keep that in the house in the Winter! So, I am going to have a tough time deciding what to do for them! Of course they have prezzies! Some nice cat nip toys and some fishing rod feather thingys for "mommy" to play with them! They are so happy that we have our apartment back now and our bed and that "mean man" is gone! I think that alone is a gift for them!
@writersedge (22579)
So much for French lovers, must be they consider it V-day every day? I don't know what my husband has planned, I wish I knew. I hope we get to do something fun, but without knowing about the future with his job, I'm not sure.
@paula27661 (15899)
What else are they going to survey? That is an amusing one! Valentine Day is on Sunday and my husband is going to be with me of course although we don’t have the money to plan anything special. Of course our fur babies will be spending the day with us too and should we decide to do something economical like a picnic or something, one of our cats is sure to come with us because we often take one out with us! It is understandable that those who do not have a partner may spend Valentine Day with their pets, nothing wrong with that in my view!
@anniepa (27238)
I'll be spending V-Day with my 7 kitties, probably watching some sentimental love movies with them piled on top of me on the recliner and trying to comfort me when I cry! They never argue with me, they never complain and they love me unconditionally even if I don't feel like getting dressed in this God-forsaken ROTTEN weather! Annie