"Bring your Own Water", she said.

@cynthiann (18619)
Jamaica
I had to go into the city to have a series of medical tests and I asked a GF if I could stay with her overnight. She said that of course I could but I must bring my own water to drink, flush toilet and bathe! Isn't this typical! In my part of the Island we have had so much torrential rain from Christmas which only stopped about a week ago and in the city they have a severe drought. Schools are being closed early and only emergency operations are being carried out in hospitals. My GF had not had water for 9 days and their emergency tank was dry. So I brought in 25 gallons of water; my GF was overjoyed! I suppose you have to lose something to appreciate it and I have never been out of a supply of water. What essential thing would you really miss not having in your life?
@dawnald (84133)
• Shingle Springs, California
I can see how water would be a problem... After the Northridge earthquake, we were without power for a bit. Not so long that things started spoiling though. Other people weren't as lucky. Lots of backyard barbecues to use us meat that they couldn't refrigerate. Water was a problem for many people too. As for me, my children, of course. They really keep me going...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Like the ending of this response. I hate to be without electricity. After one hurricane I was whtout it for three months and it was a nightmare.I learnt how to preserve meat and lots of other boring things that were necessary for us to survive.
@dawnald (84133)
• Shingle Springs, California
three months, wow, can't even imagine!
@MsTickle (24991)
Three months!? Carp! We consider ourselves hard done by if it's not back on in 3 hours.
@polachicago (19077)
Yes, we forget how important is to have water in our life. I can not imagine not having fresh water to drink, and water for minimal hygiene. I bet your friend wanted you to come and stay with her more often.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Oh yes, she said that I could come anytime! I will send water to her if my daughter or anyone I know well is going to town.
@shan0822 (436)
Woo, I never know water is so short in some place like that! So you mean you always go out bring your own water? I kind live a plave humidity is very high, so I never experiense like you! I know water kind the essential and most important thing in our life, we can't live without it! How can you carry 25 gallons of water? You must be very strong, hope you will have rain soon! bless!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Well, I transported the water in my car. This is the worse drought that we have had in mnay years in the city. yet where I live we have had rain.
hi cynthiann yes indeed we all must have water. oh my an'essential thing that I would miss not having in my life would be, of course, chocolate, nice dark bittersweet chocolate, and coffee too, oh I must have my four cups of coffee hot and black every day to keep from going senile or getting Alzheimer disease.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Does coffee really helpagainst Alzheimers or are you kidding me? I too adore chocolate but will onlu have it occasionally as I am over weight! Am,losing a bit though
@bodhisatya (2384)
We had floods in 06 and the taps were dry for about a week. I very well know how it feels like to be without water. The city couldn't even supply drinking water. We had to buy it, and it was mayhem. Water is an absolute necessity. We have a saying in our place, "the second name of water is life." BTW why the medical tests for?
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
I have heart problems but the situation has not worsened and seems stabilised - so this is good news. Exercising and losing weight is helping! I plan to send water in as much as possible to my friends. The situation is ridiculous as the city is only 80 miles away but no way of getting water fromour are to the city. So stupid and short sighted while people are suffering
Wow Cynthiann, I never thought what it would be like to NOT have water as it never happened to me before. We do so many things with water, we need it nearly all the time. So cant they truck in some water for those people? Here if a pipe breaks and we're out of water for a couple of hours, they'll have these huge tank trucks going all over and giving out water, or we can go to the city and they'll give us bottled water. I think water must be the most important thing. We cant survive as human beings without water. I sure hope your friend has rain soon.
@LaurenInLA (2272)
A couple of years ago this would have made me laugh but I live in southern California and while it hasn't gotten that bad yet we are on water rationing. I'm only able to water my lawn on Monday and Thursday and I think about every drop of water that I use. Now that I'm thinking about it and conserving, my water bill has gone down about $100. I can't believe how wasteful I used to be. Besides water, I would really miss not having electricity. It gets so hot in the summer time that our air conditioning runs almost 24/7. I don't think that I could handle life without air conditioning
@SomeCowgirl (32271)
I think that I would most likely miss the computer. I know, I know it's bad, but I've gotten myself addicted to reading and writing on the computer and if I were to lose it, I'd surely go stir crazy for a little while. But in all seriousness, out of things we'd absolutely need I think that I would most miss water as well because water does so much for us. We cook with it, we clean (ourselves) with it... We feed plants with it, we swim in it, we drink it, we play in it...
I'd definitely put water to bathe and flush the toilet on the list! It's hard to imagine being without water for days to perform tasks like that. You are a good friend! I guess although not essential, but if one wants to stay healthy it is essential, is having the items to brush my teeth. I want toothpaste and something to use with it!
@katsmeow1213 (29016)
I don't understand... if you had torrential rain, why is there a drought? Well, I've had to live a few days without water here and there, so I can understand how she feels. You don't realize how much you need it until it's gone. When we first moved into our old house our water didn't work properly. We had only a cold trickle in the kitchen sink, and nothing in the bathroom. It took about 2 months to fix it. I would have to sit a pot under the trickle in the sink and then heat it to do dishes or baths. We went to our gym a lot back then, just to get a good shower. When we first moved in here we had no water at all. All our pipes were frozen. We had to eat out everynight to avoid dishes. My laundry piled up for a week. After a long day of moving in, we weren't able to shower. The kids had to miss school because they couldn't bathe. They finally got our bathroom water working the day after we moved in, but not the kitchen water. I did dishes in the bath tub. Since then we've had days where the water has been shut off without notice... usually because maintenance had to work on the well house or something. It gets frustrating when all of the baby's cups are dirty and I go to wash one so he can have a drink and there's no water. I can't cook dinner without water. Electricity is also something that goes out occasionally and we forget how important it is until it's gone. Once it's out we worry about our food in the fridge and freezer, and the heat, and if we'll wake up in time for hubby to go to work and the kids to get to school... not to mention we'd have no hot water without electricity. At one time we had fish who needed a warm tank, and we'd worry about them too when the power went out. The longest we've gone without power was 4 days when we had a really bad ice storm about 5 years ago. All our neighbor's houses were flooded because their sump pumps didn't work without power. We didn't have that problem for some reason.
@bystander (2299)
well, cynthiann, i haven't reached that point in my life yet. whenever i run short of necessities, i do something about it. otherwise, i am contented with what i have or what i don't have. there are certain things which we may want and desire, but what we need is more important and that's what, i say, i'll miss most when it's gone...
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
You have been fortunate in lifeand have the best approach to solving problems
@bystander (2299)
thanks, cynthiann, for the response. but like you, we are capable of solving our problems and getting out of difficult situations. when there's no water, then carry you must...
@SViswan (12072)
We have similar problems in India sometimes. We buy water in our apartment and so far haven't faced a water shortage in the 6+ years we've been here. But how did you manage to take 25 gallons of water when you went? And your poor friend...how did she manage without water for 9 days????? I can't think of bearing it for more than 2 days (that's hard...and that's the maximum I can bear)
Well in reading the entire post I can see why she asked you to bring your own water. Now to answer your question though, the one thing that I always have to have with me in order to travel is my pillow. I know that it is an odd thing, but I got the pillow after I messed up my back because it is a memory foam pillow and sleeping on it helps to keep my back in line. Since I've had that pillow I will not travel overnight without it.
• Estonia
Well in our country we don't have any problems with water shortage. Well, some little shortages may occur very rarely, when the water pipe is damaged or something, but these ones get usually fixed in a day. I think I would miss water too, but until I haven't been without it for a long time, I can't imagine how problematic it really is. The thing you said was right: you have to lose something first in order to appreciate it. I think another thing I couldn't live without would be electricity, because my life depends greatly on that one. I use numerous electric appliances, my life would change completely, if I couldn't use them anymore.
I think you have answered that question for me. I would miss the convenience of being able to turn on the tap and voila, or flush a toilet. These things we take for granted everyday especially in my country, Canada. Where there is an abundance of almost everything yet shortages, environmental detriments are not taken care of as they should be. Some day it will be all of us reaching for that glass of water and finding the well dry so we should take better care of our city, country, earth. Cheers!
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
That is a terrible thing to have happening . i am so spoiled to having water, electricity etc. that i never think of having to do w/out it which is very selfish of me i realixed when i read your discussion. I just take all thet for granted. I need to appreciate things more. i would miss water & lights the most i guess.
@cher913 (25893)
wow that would be pretty hard! its amazing what we take for granted these days. things like water, electricity and the like while 100 years ago, one didnt have electricity nor probably running water in their house either. i think what i would miss the most is my hearing or my vision!
@Opal26 (17691)
Hey cyn! Wow! That is really awful! And that was really nice of you to bring them some water! I go crazy when I am without water for a few hours, or a day! I can't imagine being without it for days! And the same goes for when we lose electricity! You don't realize how used to having these things in your life until you are without them! I even get upset when the cable and internet go down! But, at least those are not the necessities of life! I hope that your friend gets their water back soon! It is such a shame that there are parts of the country that have gotten so much snow that they don't have anywhere to put it and then there are places that there are droughts that could use the water! It's too bad they can't ship them the snow! I mentioned that in another discussion that if only the could get some refrigerator trucks, fill them with the snow and get them to the places that need the water then they could solve two problems at once!
@pandaeyes (2068)
That's what I like about this site, you learn that things are different everywhere. I think that I would really miss electricity. We have been on various camping holidays and always there was a time when I thought , we could have just plugged that in at home. I like to camp because it is like playing at cave man but in that instant there is a time when we are going to be going home so we know it has an ending . I think water is such a basic that it would be awful to have to buy it in gallons from the shops. People here are still quite water waste conscious , we have flush savers in the toilet cistern and save the water from some things for watering the garden.
@MrKennedy (1994)
Being short of water is terrible, because we humans rely so much on it to survive, and use it for so many purposes, for example cleaning and drinking. Another essential I would find I could not live without is electricity. I think that many of us have become so dependent on it, and so many appliances are powered by it, that if it were to ever be cut off, I for one would be seriously affected