Why do we defend other countries?

@diamania (7037)
Netherlands
Why would one country defend an other country. For example why would my country, Holland attempt to regain peace in Afghanistan and pay the price of all the dead soldiers?
@phoenix8606 (4978)
Hi! I also don't know the answer of your question, but I think it is not, because we want to help our allies, but because we have some dividends from it, like earning money or some territories or something like that. I get very angry when my country becomes an ally of some other country in a war which doesn't concern us!
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
I don't think that is always the case. Sure USA attacked Iraq not only for peace and protection of the Iraqis. The oil was also a very interesting asset. What would for example Holland have to do in Afghanistan. We don't make profit in that war, we also have debts...?!
Well, i really don't think USA are in Iraq, because they want to help somebody And you are right- what would Holland and Bulgaria have to do in Iraq, why should we awake the devil?
@mysdianait (64056)
I fear that the devil is already awake and that those who are there are trying to put it back to sleep before it does any damage.
@mysdianait (64056)
Why not? Surely we all belong to one race no matter where we live or on which soil we were born. Do we only need other countries as markets for the goods we produce?
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
I see what you mean but why would we sacrifice human lives for countries we have no bond with?
@mysdianait (64056)
What creates a bond? Religion, finance or right and wrong?
@cyberfluf (5005)
• Netherlands
I guess all three of those can create a bond, but let's not forget the power a country has (not just because of finance but also by the square footage and such). Countries will want to ally with other countries that have something to offer to them, that makes them stronger. A certain position on the map can come in handy, even if a country is small, because it gives another route to travel safely and such. There are many things to keep in mind when planning such strategies. Let's just say I'm happy it's not my job to figure those things out .
@cyberfluf (5005)
• Netherlands
It's all about "I scratch your back, you scratch mine". If countries form an alliance they are stronger, so when there's a war they have a higher chance of winning and with minimal loss of their own men. I believe in peace and I admire the people who fight for worldwide peace every day, more often than not risking their own lifes in the process. I am not sure if an alliance is neccessairy for a peace corp to go to another country though.
@saphrina (31739)
• South Africa
I have no idea. But my country has the tendancy to keep on trying to defend another african country who really have a very stupid toad for a president. I don,t know what the hell this one is thinking, if he can think at all, i might add. But the day you get the answer, please make sure to let me know. I would really appreciate it. TATA.
@ElicBxn (60895)
because at some point in the past other countries defended yours Would you like to still be under German rule?
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
No but then still why would other countries help us? It makes no sense.
@ElicBxn (60895)
because its the right thing to do if you don't stop the evil there - it will surely come here do you want to live under Muslim rule?
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
We already live under the Muslim rule here in Holland and I don't see USA barging in yet. Help USA...
@yugasini (12839)
• Anantapur, India
hi diamania, Every country wants peace,you country and our country also wish peace,that is a part and parcel of the nations activity,we also wish peace in Afganistan,untill Taliban will out of the country,peace will not there,Talibans are rude religian mind people,have a nice day
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
Sure we want all peace by helping countries however we are actually going into a situation of war and end up losing lives. For what goal? Peace in other countries? I think the price is too high.
hi diamania why, because the world is becoming smaller as our technologies grow and prosper and because we are all human beings in one world. We should all help each other, just as people in rural US help one other because their lives may depend it in winter storms. WE all need each other for economic exhange of ideas and goods. We are all brothers anyway so we should help those in need and hope to heaven that they help us back.
@diamania (7037)
• Netherlands
We aren't all brothers we have our enemies and we have countries which we don't want to be related with. My question still isn't answered.
@maximax8 (28558)
I believe in peace. I like it when a country gives aid to victims in another country after a natural disaster. I know that Afghanistan is a war torn country and I don't think it will be easy to regain peace there. In the past some countries have helped another country like Britain went to war with Germany when Hitler invaded Poland. The Americans joined in with World War II when the Japanese dropped a bomb on Pearl Harbor. Not every country is neutral like Switzerland is.
@kaylayoe (295)
I'm not sure! It makes me angry as well because I like in the United States and where always helping everyone and who's helping us during 911 or Katrina? No one! But we sacrifice our soldiers and money and resources to help everyone else. I don't understand it. Especially because were in such a large debt we honestly don't have the funds to help other countries. Most of our people are suffering but we have to help others! I wouldn't even mind if someone helped us out once in awhile but if it were up to me I would rather be a isolated country..