A Temper Tantrum! That's Sure to Get You an Interview!

@sulynsi (2836)
In my work, I am called upon to check resumes and call people up for interviews Now, there IS a reason for a resume. There is also a reason for a job description in the posting. If one DOESN'T have the experience listed, WHY are they applying? Why do people think they are OWED a job interview? Why am I expected to pick their pathetic, two lined, misspelled, obviously thrown together "CV" out of dozens of others? One guy, whose resume I had seen many times before, emailed our company again asking "did anyone get this?" Knowing how annoying it can be not to at least be sure your inquiry got to the HR department, I emailed him a brief, but polite "thanks, but your qualifications are not what we are looking for at this time" type letter. It wasn't an auto responder or "form letter" just formal. I did, though, take the time to answer him. Here's his response "it must be real hard to sit at a desk and tell people who desperately need employment that they can't measure up....you know what you can do with that paper you judged me by" Come on guy! Great way to make a lasting impression. "I can't have my own way, so I'm going to dump on you" Guess momma never said no when he asked for a candy bar! Take a piece of advice, NEVER BURN YOUR BRIDGES like this joker did!
@saphrina (31739)
• South Africa
I know the feeling. I had a problem with a girl who has no idea what kind of work she was letting herself into. As i like to give anyone a chance, who are up for trying at least. She just didn,t get it the first time. I told her that she is not fit for this job, maybe she should try something else. And tantrums only makes me very angry, so i had one of our workers take her of the premises. The words that girl used made me blush and believe me, i am used to everything. Hope she behaves at her next interview, with whatever company she is able to take on.
@sulynsi (2836)
Hi saphrina I told this guy too, that I have on several occasions, yielded to an appeal by a prospective employee. They said, I know I don't have direct experience, but I think I could learn and so on. Their sincerity and dignity and determination was, to me, worth a second look. Several times, to everyone's happiness, these "unorthodox" connections have worked out just fine. I AM open to the RIGHT kind of persuasion. I AM open minded and compassionate. Approach me in the right way, I am happy to make allowances. It is the way this guy abused me that was the problem.
@saphrina (31739)
• South Africa
Well, people are like that unfortuantely. They think that they have this and that, but when push come to shove, they are rude and have no manners at all. I will never let a person like that work with me. No way.
sulynsi there are two sides to every story, and now you must know the economy is horribly bad and a lot of men have been out of work for months, and I will bet you were never in this situation yourself. It is so easy for us to sit in judgment on people we do not know or have barely met. Sure he was rude and that is wrong but have you ever been in any way close to being in his shoes. I think a lot of times the person taking resumes does get sort of blase about all these unseen not highly educated people and may indeed turn down someone when perhaps if its an unskilled job that person could really have handled it. I mean you are sort of playing with people's lives whether you realize it or not. I have to agree its much easier for you to sit there and turn down people you never have to see than for the other person to try to get someone to hire him or her. I have been to a job interview where the interviewer seemed very polite and pleased with my =resume but then I overheard this little gem, she phoned the boss, he evidently asked how large I was, she said oh she probably wears a fourteen or sixteen.oh all right. yes of course. I overheard him yell, I told you no one bigger than a 12. So I got up, stood over her and said, since I wou ld be out of sight just answering phones, since when is my dress size of any significance. she turned bright red and I just walked out. I thought to myself to hell with these people .who do they think they are. Sorry to seem a bit hostile but there are two sides to every story about people trying to get any kind of a job. And I have met some interviewer who should never have been given the job at all.+
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I think I would sorely want to say something like the guy did, especially if I never expected a call back. The fact that you brought up the auto responder must mean that the man whom you emailed must've thought it was an auto responder. I wonder if he expected the email to bounce back to him, so he got the steam rolled off, but that he thought it wouldn't be seen by anyone at your company. Hmm... Poor guy though, no chance that he'll get the job with that attitude. If he does this to every company, then that's not good either.
@sulynsi (2836)
Come to think of it, I think he was shocked that I responded, that there was a real, live being on the other end of that email and that he'd committed a grievous faux pas I never thought that he was just shaking his fist in the mirror, so to speak, not dreaming it was a two way mirror. Now I really feel sorry for him!! If, on the other hand, he had realized his mistake and apologized, saying he was just taking out his understandable frustrations on what he thought was an auto-responder, I would have understood. I probably would have engaged in a discussion with him and at least had him in for an interview. I'm like that, you know.
Your absolutely right. The first impression is the most important part in anything your going for. Especially job interviews. If someone acts like a jerk because they were not qualified for that position, then they should work on themselves a little more and get better and better until they have excelled expectation. Also the lasting impression is just as important as the first one I feel.
@sulynsi (2836)
I'm sure that if this individual put more effort into his resume and improved his attitude, was more positive and upbeat instead of feeling sorry for himself, it would result in a much better impression. If he had been pleasant about it, I might have kept him on file in case something else, more suited to his skills, came up.
@paula27661 (15899)
If the guy didn’t have the qualifications and/or experience required for the position why did he get upset at not obtaining an interview? That is immature behaviour and perhaps the reason why he is still unemployed! I learnt a long time ago that applying for a job definitely does not guarantee an interview even when one does have the qualifications and experience! It’s just the way it is and up to the employer and I would imagine it would also depend on the number of applications received.