Weirdest Salad Ever Made

Hello mylot folk! I just want to share with you my weird salad I made for lunch today. It didn't even have lettuce, either! I decided to just grab whatever fruits and vegetable I have, and throw them together! You ever do that, just grab whatever you have in your fridge or food pantry and throw it together into a "salad?" Anyway, I made a salad of bamboo shoots, broccoli, pineapple and purple grapes. Needless to say, it was a very colorful salad! I guess I had The Orient on my mind, because I tried to stir-fry a few things with seasoning like the bamboo shoots, the broccoli and the pineapple. I love weird salad combination, and it is fun and creative to explore the endless possiblities in salad. What I'm trying to say is a salad doesn't always have to consist of rabbit food, so spice it up and add a little variety to make it fun! I tend to like sweet fruits and vegetables in my salad to balance the other flavors not so sweet. What is the weirdest salad you have ever made?
Hi, Foo! I often do this. When things are at the brink of spoiling, they become either a salad or a soup, and it's almost always wonderful! In fact, some have been so good that I've purposely shopped for and combined the ingredients again!
I also do that with chili type soups. They are really good with other things stirred in. With it being winter soup is an excellent choice. When I make the broccoli salad that I like, I cut all the florets off for the salad. I then chop and boil the stems until they are basically mush, putting in other veggies as well. I will put some velveeta type cheese in the liquid and have a broccoli cheese soup. One of the money saving books I read when a young wife basically said to keep a container in the freezer and any time you have left over veggies, just a dab, pour it in and then when you have enough, cook it up, add meat if desired. It is never the same way twice.
What a wonderful tip, Gerty. I'm embarrassed because I hadn't thought of that. I already got the container ready, and it's in the freezer empty, so far, but not for long!
I guess I do not really think any salad is weird. I have one I make that is red onions, broccoli, cheese, bacon, and raisins and sunflower seeds. Use a little mayo on it for a dressing, or raspberry vinaigrette. Hubby likes dried blueberries in it as well. I like chicken and strawberries, green grapes, and cantaloupe. I have hardly bought any lettuce lately just these things. I have not had pea salad in awhile, that does have lettuce in the bottom and red bell pepper, green bell pepper,cheddar cheese and frozen (thawed) peas. Put that in layers in a bowl and "frost" it with miracle whip. I will take all kinds of beans and combine them, then I will put a vinaigrette dressing on them, or just bottle Italian dressing. High fiber and very yummy. A new twist on the old "three bean salad".
@lilybug (21148)
My son loves broccoli salad. The way I make it for him it has the bacon, cheese, broccoli, and the dressing is mayo, sugar, and vinegar. I have had it with the raisins in it before from the deli at the store, but I have never made it that way at home.
@ElicBxn (60827)
my sis puts apples, grapes, pineapple in her salads - but she knows I won't touch it if it has grapes (allergic) or pineapple (hate) or even celery (YUK) in it!