I want to know if lime wire can get me a virus?

My friend was on my laptop last night. he asked if he could do his unemployment online I said yes. Then this morning I wake up and he tells me not to delete his music from my computer. That he is buying a ipod to down load the music to. My brother said lime wire will crash my laptop. Please tell me what I should do about this. I don't want my new computer compromised. Thanks
@spalladino (17925)
I have heard many people say that you can get viruses from limewire, including one of my daughters who had to deal with one not too long ago. If you have anti-virus software, do a full scan of your computer so that those files can be checked since they're already on your computer. If you don't have anything you can go to this site and have your computer scanned remotely. Trend Micro has been around for years and I have used HouseCall myself, so it's safe. I also wouldn't let this friend use your computer again. Here's the website: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
I will have my daughter remove this from my computer. I will not be fixing this if it gets messed up. I want to be safe not sorry. Thanks for the help.
@kaylayoe (295)
Well, as long as you know what your downloading then no it won't hurt it but to be safe I would delete it. I had Limewire and it crashed my dad's computer. They managed to fix it after a few months and a few hundred dollars but now his sound doesn't work, he can't block pop ups and his computer runs slower then any computer I've ever seen. So to be safe I would get rid of it. Good Luck!
I will thanks for the help. You know when my daughter got a virus on my last computer we fixed it costing a lot as well. Then as you said the speed was so much slower.
I use limewire all the time without any problems, but my husband did get a virus from it once. One needs a really good virus program like Trend Micro to deal with something like that. I would not let someone else download music onto my laptop, because i want full control of my computer. So yes, Limewire can give you a virus, if you download a file that has a virus.
I did not know this is what he was going to do. I told him this morning I want it off my computer. So I am going to have my daughter take it off tonight.
@Rhazelle (356)
Limewire won't crash your computer but of course it can give you a virus if you don't know how to use it properly. Any program like that you can get a virus from. You just have to be smart about it and not download files that are say, 10x as big as they should be or in a really weird unknown format or stuff like that.
I use Limewire, and it can be safe, if you are careful. Wherever I use this software, I use AVG anti-virus along side of it. The thing is, you are sharing files with anonymous people, some of which may have a virus on their computer and not know it; others will actually upload virus files disguised as other stuff. When downloading, AVG will let you know if the file has viruses when you attempt to open the file; so you can cancel the download and throw away the the file before it has a chance to wreak havoc on your system. So LimeWire itself cannot do anything to your computer as long as you download it from the actual site. However, you should employ some sort of virus protection before attempting to download and files from me. Oh, and you can go ahead and delete the files. You can't upload regular files to an iPod, only iTunes files that you have to buy.
Limewire did crash my desktop one time - I got a very nasty virus - despite having AVG as my anti-virus. Personally, he should have informed you that he is going to install limewire since you are the owner of the laptop. I suggest that you tell your friend to immediately get his music so you can uninstall the program, so it would no longer be compromised.
@mshll84 (15)
Hi! I haven't use lime-wire personally but one of my friends have used it..and she just told me that lime wire wouldnt affect your laptop but the downloaded files could contain some virus and other types of malware! So be careful! I hope this helps you. Bye
Yes it can. I've not used lime wire for a long time simply for this reason. We used to download music all the time and when we did download music we had a dedicated computer to use for downloading simply because it was an easy way to pick up a virus. We had to clean up that computer all the time when we had that one. We've since bought a software where we can record music and other audio files directly off the internet and now I don't have to worry about getting viruses from downloading music.
@tomcat23 (623)
• Old Forge, Pennsylvania
I've been using Limewire for quite some time and Limewire itself has not posed a threat, its what you download that can bring on a virus. Keep in mind, one of the biggest virus threats comes from downloading files. Even opening some e-mails can put a virus on your computer. In terms of limewire, the program itself is safe, its the downloads you have to be careful of. You should have an anti-virus program on your computer NO MATTER WHAT, and this will protect your system. I have not had any problems with Limewire, however, my antivirus programs have detected viruses in a couple things I wanted to download even things not coming from Limewire.
@thuhuong (828)
That is in fact true. Not only is limewire opening your computer to viruses but it is also a memory reducer. I've had a lot of units come in slow in resources because of limewire and because they have been infected with something they have downloaded. If you have a good anti-virus, this should detect anything you download like avast or malwarebytes. I also think you should switch to something like ares or winmx for peer to peer which uses less resources if you like downloading as well. I hope that has helped much! Have a great day.
@raydene (9875)
Hi Doll I have used it alot with no problems but my avg anti virus warns me a few times not to download. I got my anti virus free from http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage My friend that is a computer guy for all the regional health facilities told me about it. He uses it on his personal computers. Use that or not but be sure to protect your computer before it's too late. xoxoxoxoxo
@ksmith61 (33)
I've been using limewire for a few years now and haven't got any viruses from the program. I do however have virus software.
@jennybianca (12915)
My ex husband often used limewire and never had any problems or got viruses. My daughter has used it too, with no problems. To be on the safe side, make sure you have a good anti virus program running.
@neildc (17254)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
i used lime wire before with one of the computers i was using in another office about 2 years ago. i actually haven't noticed or experienced getting a virus from it. i also haven't experienced getting that computer crashed. but i stopped using limewire and remove the program when i noticed a slowing down of the system. i can guess, if i continue using the program, that computer would go somewhere.
@cream97 (29169)
I have the Lime Wire icon on my desktop and I don't want it there. I asked my husband about this and he told me that he does not need this program. He was supposed to be removing it from this laptop. I don't need it. Since you mentioned this, it made me think hard about Lime Wire. I hope that this program has not harmed the computer files or drive, because this laptop crashes every now and then. And then I get a lot of "Not Respondings", where the page that I am on freezes up. I don't know what to say about this, but it is aggravating. I wonder if Lime Wire has something to do with this. I can't remove any of these program's on this laptop. It can only be done by my husband himself since he is the administrator of this computer. I hope that your laptops system has not been affected by this.
Limewire, as far as I know is very reliable and friends of mine who use it have not complained so far about viruses infected their computers. I know this because Ive been to their homes and they use to get songs from limewire almost everyday or whenever they wanted. Even to this day because Limwire gives you regular upgrades. That's just my experience with it.
@MrNiceGuy (4147)
sure you can get viruses from limewire. it also has really bad connections and slow download times. its pretty much the worst option for downloading things and the least safe. I would be upset your friend lied to you about what he was doing on your computer while putting it at risk for both copyright infringement lawsuits and virus damage. Try bittorrent if youre interested in file sharing.
@DOLLYBABY (2536)
First of all your friend should have ask you or let you be aware that he was gonna download the lime wire software to your computer...these kind of things need permission especially when using someone computer..secondly i know for sure that lime wire can cause your computer to have virus in it...i had a male friend from high school whose desktop computer catch some virus on his computer from just using lime wire.possibilities your computer will crash if you don't get this virus out right away...get it resolve as soon as possible...i once catch a virus in my computer and my computer ended up being crash...but i got to fix and working back.i don't have lime wire or ever use it before...we all need to be careful of what we download from online to our computer..
@choybel (5059)
Just know what you are downloading and be cautious. In the limewire window you'll be able to see some details of the file you are downloading so if you notice something out of place like filesize is suspiciously too big or too small than expected, filename matching your file but with unnecessary exras, or files with irregular text characters, then better not continue with the download. Of course, you can still never be too sure about any file so I suggest a good anti virus scan before running or unzipping any downloaded file should best be done. Limewire is a good peer to peer software but very vulnerable to virus so it is always better to keep protected with a strong anti virus protection software.