How fat can you be and still be allowed on a plane?

By Link
First let me just say that I am fat and I know I am. I know there is a lot of stuff going on with fat people having to buy two plane tickets, but I mean, how fat is too fat to ride on the plane? Is there a size chart? Measurements? I personally don't want to be embarrassed to try to get on a plane and not be able to fly because I am too fat. I haven't been on a plane since high school (like 5 years ago), and I have gained some weight since then. I can fit into a normal seat in a car and wear a seatbelt, so are plane seats and seat belts smaller than seats in a car? I feel bad for heavy people that can't be on the plane and have to buy two seats. I feel bad that they are also labeled as "safety risks". Trust me if another fat person was in my way in the event of an emergency I will be climbing over them. If a child was in my way I could easily pick them up and keep moving. Old people could be a safety risk for being too slow and people will just have to knock them down. And everyone else should be in shape so they should already be off the plane, right? So I don't understand what the safety risk is if only a single file line can fit in an aisle anyway, how is a fat person blocking the aisle? Because if there's an emergency the fat person could bowl everyone else over and trample them to get to safety so that would actually be an advantage. I'm a bit of a spry fat girl, I'm 5'll 350, flexible, and really fat when I think there's danger (or cake, just kidding!). But seriously, how fat is too fat to fly? Some people are chunky, plump etc. Some are just downright fat, and then there are morbidly obese. In my mind morbidly obese are the people who can't wear normal clothes and wear like giant dress type sheet-like shirts that hardly fit. Now I want serious answers, nothing rude. I know I am fat you don't need to point that out. I know about dieting and exercise (which I walk my dogs regularly daily plus walk for 30-40 mins every evening), and I know my a$$ is fat and my boyfriend loves it. So now that that is out of the way I welcome serious answers and arguments, thanks!
@phoenix8606 (4978)
hi ! I actually don't know how fat you must be to get on the plane, because I don't think the kilos play the important role, it depends on the size of your body, i mean if you are ably to walk through the plane's door, then you should be allowed, and if you can't then you just must travel with some other transport.but i don't know anyone, who has such a big body
@blummus (452)
Actor/director Kevin Smith (Clerks, Dogma, Jersey Girl, among other films) was recently denied seating in first class on Southwest Airlines. His money was refunded, but he is not satisfied with the company's apology and has retaliated by blogging and tweeting about the incident. He gave an interview with MTV which you can read here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1631958/20100216/story.jhtml
Well, a plane door is pretty large, and I know I can fit through it, but I've seen pics of Kevin Smith and I have wide hips so I don't know if they would require me to buy two tickets for a little extra hip and thigh room. Because trust me if I had to buy two tickets because of some extra hip and thigh I will have my feet up in the seat during the flight, I don't care if there is a third person in the last seat, I bought two, and I will fully use two and I would tell them that. I'll have my things in the chair and my feet up and if they complain I'll say, "well I don't want you to feel smothered by my fat-ness, so its either the feet or the fat!"
@ronita34 (3923)
I do not think that something like this should ever even be brought up. If you ask me I think that this is extremely rude and total whack if you ask me. I would have to say that even quesioning someones weight to ride on a plane is rude and the thought should not even come to one's mind. An airplane is made to carry weight and alot of it therefore it shouldn't matter at all. You hold your head up girl and stay proud of who you are!!
That is true but I also saw a picture of a very large man who was tall as well as very wide who got a seat at the aisle and he took up his seat plus half of the aisle. This means that the flight attendants cannot bring their carts down the aisle at all. That is a more extreme situation where I can understand if they ask someone to pay for another seat, but I'm not that big and neither is Kevin Smith and he still got kicked off. I think they should send out some measurements as to what would be the largest you can be in width to be on the plane without having to buy another ticket, it would sound rude, they may get backlash, but then people wouldn't be embarrassed when they are asked to leave the plane, or people try to measure them at the check-in or some other embarrassing incident. I'd rather know before I bought my tickets if I'm too fat to fly.
Well, you want a serious answer and I will give it to you. First off before I say my piece, I want to say that I commend you for your positive attitude towards your weight. Also, it is important to remember to never change for anyone. When I saw the news story I was appauled. I feel that everyone has the right to fly and as long as the person can fit into the seat belt to keep themself safe then they should be able to fly. I have seen people that are heavy set who fly and have never had any problems.
Well I've been larger than average my whole life, and I've ridden on a plane before, but obviously I'm not the same size as I used to be. I don't want to wait until I'm on a plane so they can tell me that I need to pay for another ticket right there or get off (which I am not a person who can just whip out my check book and pay for an extra ticket). I feel bad for people that are told that and with all of those people around. So they either need to have a section with bigger seats (I wouldn't care if I had to ride with other fat people around me I hate confined places and strangers anyway so the whole plane experience sucks regardless of who I am next to). Anyway, thanks for your comments!
@lingli_78 (12852)
this is a very hard question to answer... i think as long as the person is not morbidly obese and only a little bit overweight, he/she should be allowed to be on the plane... i just feel sorry for those people and i think that we should not discriminate on obese people... i hardly hear people discriminate on extremely thin people... so i don't understand why we have to discriminate on obese people... take care and have a nice day...
@gusto84 (237)
The answer is that the airlines system automatically assign weight of passenger for the flight lowshit which is calculated to balance the plane with charging passengers and cargo ... 0-2 - Infant (the weight for infant is 0kg) 2-14 - Child (the weight for child is up to 35kg) 14 Adult (the weight for adult is up to 85kg) The child has no right for the seat so he/she seets with an adult on the same seet , the weight for an adult and infant is 90kg. There's always a margin of tolleration but the maximum weight for one ticket is 120 or something like this ... the weight is not that impogtant on the end as the volume , becouse as you mentioned the seat's was projected for a person of an average height and weight . And that's a fact as i work in an airport since 3 years. Hope this answers your question...
@benny128 (3624)
hhmm interesting topic, I look at it from 2 sides, it is everybodies right to transportation and people can be big small fat or slim I really don't judge as everybody is living their life, but saying that I think if you can fit in the seat without hindering or causing discomfort to the people around you then no problem. I think the problem starts when you are too big and are affecting the people around you, I went on a long haul flight to the USA and had a guy next to me the whole flight he wasn't massively obese but it was the worst 12 hour flight I have ever had as I had absolutely no room to move. But that also goes for smelly people aswell I think everybody has the right to fly but if it starts affecting people around them then they should have to purchase an additional seat but I guess its a bit of a grey area. No offence was meant by the way so hope none was taken.
@madteaparty (2763)
• Japan
Well, I'm afraid that I don't know how much do you weight if I don't hear it in kilos, but I have flewn with a friend who's over 100 kg and the only problem is that this person is very tall, so he couldn't fit his legs between normal seats, but we got a seat near the emergency exit, so there was no problem.
@olisaur (1932)
I have mixed feelings about this whole plane seat thing. I understand that there are some people who can't really help the size that they are (due to genes, health conditions, etc) but there are also some people that are just plain fat, careless, lazy slobs- I think those people DO deserve to be charged for their size. Maybe all planes should just make their seats bigger- that way even if smaller people sit in them, it won't take as many people to fill a plane and therefore making the plane lighter overall and use less fuel to fly in a trip? :o
I looked at your photos and you don't look like you are nearly big enough to not be able to ride an airplane. I would think the only people who couldn't ride planes would be people who could not fit in a whole row. An airline won't tell you that you can't ride if you'll fit in their seats (and pay the ticket price). And if you're really worried about it you could by a first class ticket...you'll have even more room in those seats, since they are spread out for comfort. It's great that you're exercising! You probably take more initiative then me! lol Although I do try to walk my dog(s) sometimes since they love to walk! :)
@blummus (452)
I flew from Sacramento to San Antonio this summer. I am 5'1" and I weight about 290 lbs. I did not have a problem being seated, though on the second leg of the journey I transferred to a smaller plane type which, oddly enough, had shorter seat belts than the first. As a result, the seatbelt would not close over my belly, but the airline was prepared and a stewardess of Junoesque proportions gave me a belt extension with a smile and no untoward comments. Despite the short belt, the plane seat was comfortable enough for a couple hours' flight. Milage and experiences vary, but all in all I was quite pleased with the service on my flights.