Shooting Animals

I was just watching a news clip on Gma, about people shooting coyotes because the animals are infringing upon their personal space and property. I can understand that no home owner would want a coyote eating from their garbage or hurting their child, so you protect with some sort of weapon like a gun or ugly stick (as my fahter who lives in Arizona calls the stick he uses to beat away coyotes). Yet I worry that people often forget to consider the other side of the issue, especially if the animal's habitat is shrinking to humans. What is the animal supposed to do? It's forests or grazing lands are being tooken away all the time, and the poachers make things worse. So when an animal that is more scared of you approaches for food, is it right to shoot them? I guess it depends on the animal. Would you shoot a deer?
@goldeneagle (6775)
I enjoy hunting, but I am not "trophy" hunter. I only kill enough to fill my freezer. Once I get enough meat to supply my needs, I don't hunt any more unless I know someone else who wants some meat. Then, I will hunt and give the meat to them to use. I like to hunt deer, squirrel, and rabbit. However, I eat what I kill... The "trophy" hunters are the ones who make me mad. While out hunting, I have seen the carcasses of animals that other hunters have killed just for their antlers or skins. They will kill a deer, cut off its head to mount on their wall, and leave the rest there to rot. This angers me to no end. Why kill the animal if you are not going to make use of the meat? It is one thing to kill the animal, use the meat, and perhaps have the head mounted if it is big enough or whatever, but it is a disgrace to kill just to have the trophy to prove you have done so on your wall. There are also instances where animals are killed because they are a threat to livestock or crops. This is OK to an extent I guess, but it certainly should not be used as a reason to attack an entire species of animal.
@blue65packer (11835)
I would never shoot any aniaml for whatever reason! I couldn't but I understand why people hunt deer. I first want to say I feel for those coyotes. They are just trying to survive like the rest of us. With the human population growing and the coyotes habitat is disappearing people just don't think about the animal With deer alot of states have hunting seasons.Like for bow and arrow and rifle. Just like the coyotes we were invading the deers space. They also produce more becuase there are more of thme around! Hunting gives hunters the chance to thin the herd out. If hunters didn't the deer population would be worse then it is. If it is a legel hunting season I see nothing wrong with animals being shot.
@ElicBxn (60895)
there is a difference, coyotes are breeding with feral dogs and becoming less wary of men, they come into the cities and kill our pets, even challenging people a bit. aside of that - there isn't a coyote season like deer season, and I do know that there are deer in town here (and remember, I live in the 15th largest city in the U.S.) and they are becoming a problem, both eating people's plants and road hazards...
@syankee525 (6294)
i got a big bag of deer meat in the freezer now. lol. i dont hunt but if i had an issues of wild animals getting close to the house, then i would if that means protecting family from them we have rabbits by my house, and snakes. which i do kill the snakes