How do you motivate kids to clean their rooms?

Israel
I use my apartment to teach music, and I need to use the girls room to teach the students. That means that I have to have the room clean so I can teach in a nice environment. I have only been able to get the girls to clean their room 7 and 10 year old respectfully, when I yell at them. I'm tired of yelling. What do you sugest instead?
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
All the music teachers I have ever known use the living room if they don't have a music room. Use the living room instead. This way the girls can have their room a mess and just close the door so no one sees.
• Israel
That's a good idea to use the living room, but it is the entrance to the apartment, with the computer there so there will be lots of interruptions if I teach there. There is not a door to close to the living room. So I must have the room clean. Yes, I guess that I have to clean it myself, but some of the time I've no time when I come in after teaching at the school, I go right into the lesson. I'd rather the girls clean it themselves.
If i didnt clean my room my mom did and i NEVER wanted that. Cause i knew if my mom cleaned it i LOST EVERYTHING she would throw it all away. Then after my mom cleaned my room once after i gt more stuff i kept my room clean so i didnt loose anything else. my mom took everything outta my room but my clothes and my bed. And i do the same thing with my kids i dont yell or scream i just calmly say well i will get a garbage bag and they are gone and cleanin it there self. It worked for me and my kids and it even helps with my toddler. and shes 2 1/2 years old.
@hagirl (1296)
If you give them allowance make the allowance depend on them cleaning their rooms also.... Talk to them about responsibility and that their rooms are a reflection on how or what they will grow up and become in the future......
I have ten children. I do require they keep their rooms somewhat decently clean, but unless there is a good reason, we don't get overly worried if it's not perfect. I agree with the lady who said as the parent your word is absolute, and they should obey you. On the other hand, it is THEIR room, and you are using it to teach music, so it seems fair that on those days, you should help them neaten it up. Remind them that the music lessons help pay for their toys and clothes, so it's an effort they should be involved in. If I go a while having trouble getting the kids to clean, then I won't buy them anything for a while. I remind them they are not taking good care of what I've alrady bought them, so I won't get anything else.
I got into the same routine with yelling at my daughter who is 5 to clean her room. The technique that I use and it works wonderfully is that whatever is not cleaned up I tell her I will throw it in the garbage. I dont actually throw them in the garbage, I donate them when she is not looking. So now she knows that if mommy comes in her room and what ever is just laying around or not where its supposed she going to lose it. Her room has never been cleaner :) good luck to you
@MrKennedy (1994)
Growing up, I was rarely ever told to clean my room because I always did it myself I couldn't bare a messy area, and after every day, before going to bed, I made sure I had put everything away in its right place, instead of leaving clutter everywhere
You can't motivate a kid to clean her room. so forget motivating. A kid can only be forced to clean her room. Forcing a kid to do something is wrong so i recommend that you should clean her room. Trust me it won't ruin her life in some kind. You won't be promoting a bad habit. Cleaning room comes from inside... if she doesn't has it then you should forget it. What you can do is give her something she likes everytimes she cleans her room but bewaare cause this may become a bad habbit. She may ask for something everytime she does something. So i recommend that you clean her room and maybe she will feel that why should you clean her room all the time. She may start doing it once or twice a week and eventually they will start cleaning their room everyday...
I never had to be told to clean my room growing up and my baby is too young to do it just yet but I can tell you what my stepmother does for my little sister..her room is usually disgusting..I mean, it looks like creatures might be living in there with her..instead of yelling and threatening her, she just lets her live in there until it becomes unbearable for even her..once they have to deal with certain smells and get uncomfortable, they will do something about it themselves..now your patience might not be able to take it because it takes a slob a while to realize just what a slob they are...