Mylot confessions

Hello mylot community. I have something to confess as to my personal habits here at mylot. I tend to start discussions on most days, but it is a one-sided conversation most of the time, because I usually don't respond a whole lot. I wonder why that is, but I knoe to have a discussion, there needs to be more than one person participating. Maybe it isbecause I lose interest after awhile in my own discussions, too. Do you find you have one-sided discussions here at mylot, or are you more active in your own discussions?
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
I only start a discussion when I know I 'm free to comment on responses. It's all very well starting discussions, but if you don't respond yourself, people will stop coming to your discussions. I never get bored with my discussions, because I know lots of people will drop by to chat. Just try commenting on every response you have for a couple of discussions. You'll get more comments back, and you'll have a real discussion going. I guarantee you'll enjoy yourself, and so will everyone who drops by.
@mysdianait (63977)
Well said Sandra! I must comment back on my own disussions and that's why I don't start many. In fact I am in a muddle right now as I have a few that are actively receiving responses and there are only 60 minutes in an hour!
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, Mysd, I think it is too bad that our hours do not stretch when we are doing MyLot to allow us all the time we need for it, as well as for the things that we must do to get along in life. I would love to have magically expanding hours that would make work time fly but give me all the leisure I want with my friends here. I would do some coffee and cookies, and just have a nice long visit.
1 hour should = 2 hrs in mylot land and in the real world so we have more time and can do the discussions we need to do etc. I believe ya when you say you have discussions open without people responding I get it too. But I answer all my responses as soon as I can. I try not to miss anyone. I also think it is better when bored to go to friends discussions and answer on all there responses only thing is I don't get notifications to those ones so I can never keep up. I think mylot should email when we get reply's no matter where it is!
I do my best to be active in my posts. See I don't have any alerts on in mylot. So I hav eto remember to go back to my posts to respond back. having the alerts on made me go crazy with my email. Sometimes I run out of things to say back to people. Then I feel just awful inside. But were only human we can't do it all no matter how we try.
• Marion, Kansas
The right thing to say may come to you later. I know you do try. Me too. I have a few I still need to get back to.
@rosekiss (30152)
• Eugene, Oregon
I always comment to the responses I receive as that is the way I earn. I don't earn from other people, only from my own activity. I don't start all that many discussions, but when I do start them, I do take time to comment back, as I feel if they are going to take the time to read my discussion, and respond, then I am going to take the time to comment back. I never get bored with my own discussions, not matter how many responses I receive. I don't get a lot, but at least I do get some, and I am happy about that, as I do enly commenting back, so users can just keep responding, and I will keep commenting. After all, commenting back, really keeps teh discussion going, and get more responses and comments from others as well. Good luck to you and happy mylotting.
I will try a little harder to respond to my and other people's discussions. It's not always easy, but for me, it depends how interested I am. I guess I just bored eaily, and you are right, it is nice to get a response, especially when you are not expecting one. I don't like to pressure on myself, to feel like I have to respond to every single discussion though. That's not the point of mylot. I feel the point of mylot is to have fun with whatever means available, and for some people, that is responding to discussions, and for others, it is starting them. I try to do both though! Thank you for motivating me rosekiss! Happy mylotting!
• Marion, Kansas
Rosekiss, some day you are going to get a surprise and have a discussion that goes off the chart, so to speak. I did recently, and it was a very simple discussion, but more than one hundred people responded.
• Marion, Kansas
When I was a very new MyLot member, I did not comment to responses. I originally misunderstood that we were not to do that. If I ever just have nothing else to do, I may go back and comment to those responses. I have some that are languishing right now, and are in need of some attention from me. I start almost no discussions because I will not do it if I cannot go back and comment in some way. I tend to not respond as much to people who will not comment back and make a real conversation or with people who never respond to me in my discussions. Some of my newest friends and even my old friends lately have gone to discussions that are as much as two years old. I commented on their responses because I appreciate them taking the time to visit my discussions.
@bounce58 (17550)
Most of my discussions have affirmations as responses. And it is nice to know a few similar minds specially here in myLot. That's why I'd like to comment back. To let them know that I agree. Even the ones who don't agree, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to put in their 2 cents.
I may start one or two discussions a day to give me time to reply to everyone who commented on my post. I will reply to my discussion and then reply to others discussion. I found it easier to start very few discussion per day so I had the time to comment to everyone who took their time to post on my discussion and then I reply to other peoples discussion the rest of the day until I see I got a reply on my discussion.
Now I am one of those people who prefers responding to other discussions from a variety of people and as such rarely start discussions. Though when I do I always go through them and respond to people who have added something which is noteworthy and expands upon the discussion. I wouldn’t say I get bored of my discussions they just take on a natural life where after a while they rarely get commented on and as such I then tend to check them less regularly.
@sacmom (14338)
I have to admit that I used to do this in the past. After reading a few discussions about proper mylot etiquette, I decided it'd be better to comment back to those that took the time to respond to my discussions. I may not comment back to everyone that responded, but I do try my best to get back to most of them. I also have to admit that I lose interest in my own discussions after a little while. I'd much rather look for discussions to respond to as it is much more fun to respond to others discussions than it is to comment back on my own (most of the time anyway). However, it has gotten easier for me to comment back to responders as I don't start many discussions anyway. So, as you can probably guess, I tend to be active in my own discussions. Happy mylotting!
Hello sacmom! I just think that sometimes people take mylot too seriously, and "condemn" a person who has their own style of interacting with mylot, and not everybody has enough time to participate as they like. Mylot is supposed to be fun. Yet you always got those people that ruin it for everyone with their inflexiblity. It's my choice to participate as I see fit, and if people don't like it, that's is on them. Happy mylotting!
@sacmom (14338)
Hi towongfoo. I have to agree. Everyone mylot's differently. No one should be condemned for it. I have to say that I love your attitude about it! I feel the same way. If only others did too. It'd make mylotting a much more pleasurable experience, that's for sure!
@neildc (17268)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
i have seen a lot of members doing this kind of habit. there are even numbers of discussions they start in a single day. and most of the time, they don't comment to those responses they received, just because they can't manage to do it. or they could just reply by saying, thank you for the response. but aside from a one-sided discussion, i also hate to encounter some members in our list that is one-sided mylotter. those members that you don't feel their presence in your discussion, though you tried a lot to convince him to read your discussion, by continuously responding to his. i maybe a one-sided mylotter before, but i have learned a lot from friends. what i usually do nowadays is to start a single discussion in a day, so that i can comment back instantly to the responses. i want to make my discussions alive by actively participating in my own discussions.
@portisray (503)
Hello towongfoo27! I can see you always start discussions on most days I think... Anyway, at least you are always active in mylotting... I usually respond discussions which interest me (which always in movies hehe)... So it is familiar to me you are using your username from a movie entitled To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar. How's that? Oh! And I am also wondering, most of the time I think you are always in front of your computer....What do you do for a living? Do you mind asking you this? Just curious... My next post I think its all about me hehe
@ksherrie (892)
Hi towongfoo27, I am more active in my own discussions... I try to participate in other discussions that may be of interests to myself. You should try too.. It would be more interesting this way.
@spalladino (17927)
You probably won't be reading this so I can safely say that I probably won't be responding to any more of your discussions. I don't expect to receive a reply if I'm responder #6 or beyond but, if I'm up there in the top 4 or 5, it would be nice to get a little feedback.
@ElicBxn (60044)
I try to respond to most of my respondents in my discussions... However, if I find the person starting discussions doesn't respond, I will also quit responding to that person's discussions and will actually delete the notifications (fair warning BTW)
hi towongfoo27 I always try to notdo too many discussions as I can really comment back on them and talk to all my many mylot friends who took the time and energy to respond to my discussion. after all without my commenting it would be very one sided and would not really be a discussion at all. I do not lose interest in my own discussion as I have all those responses to read and to comment on and I think my lot friends are a wonderfully diverse and lovely group of people, certainly not boring at all.
@lingli_78 (12852)
i think i am also guilty of doing the same thing like you... i also sometimes only do a one-sided discussion and don't comment on my own discussion for unknown reasons... may be sometimes i am just too busy, plain lazy or simply can't be bothered... that's why nowadays i preferred to just respond to discussions rather than posting because i know i will be guilty of neglecting my discussion... take care and have a nice day...
I have only started one discussion but on that one discussion I did post responses to the people that answered. I didnt want to make them feel that Im not interested in their answers. Actually the feedback is very helpful. I think I will start more discussions soon.