Organic food

Recently we have started to try to buy only organic food and have found it impossible to eat totally organic unless we limit ourselves to only a few foods. i am surprised at how little choice there is and think this isn't right. Everyone should have the right to eat food without chemicals, pesticides and genetically modified ingredients. So now I am going to grow my own vegetables and make my own bread. It is amazing what obscure things you can buy that are organic - such as cup a soup (instant soup) yet other basic things such as oranges and bread - well there is either none on offer in the supermarket or only a very basic choice of one, two or three types. We keeps ducks for their eggs and are thinking of getting some chickens too. However, trying to find organic food for them is difficult and feeding them on organic veg is expensive. Hopefully this will gradually change, and actually I have found that some things such as milk are actually not a lot dearer
@peavey (16118)
Growing your own vegetables is the cheapest way to get organic foods and what you grow is better than what you can buy because you can get it fresh. Have you thought about growing your own grain? I keep thinking about it because wheat and oat fields, etc., are treated with pesticides and herbicides.
The main problem is time. I don't really have time to grow veg, but am going to have a go. I think the weeds will soon take over. Growing grain would be even worse! I would love to do it but after harvesting there would be threshing, getting rid of the chaff, and grinding into flour if you want to use it for bread. i have found that organic flour is readily available so I will make some of my own bread and biscuits (cookies) too. But if I had the time I would rise to the challenge of "growing" my own bread. having said that - sweetcoen (maize) is fairly easy to grow
@GreenMoo (11842)
It´s very difficult to buy foods labeled as organic where I live, so I grow most of our veg to ensure a decent supply. I keep goats, chickens and rabbits too, but like you find it hard to locate organic food for them. Or at least, find organic food which doesn´t cost the earth! I compromise by giving them their seed from a ´normal´ supplier, and making sure that their ´green´ food comes from our own garden as much as is possible.
@thyst07 (2091)
I've also tried in the past couple years to eat a more natural diet, and it can be difficult. The regular supermarket in my area actually has quite a selection of natural and organic foods, but the prices are ridiculous. I hate how supporters and manufacturers of organic foods always go on and on about how everyone should eat organic, that you should make the choice for your health and for the earth, and they somehow insinuate that if you don't eat all-organic then you must either be ignorant or not care about your health and the environment. Well, I for one am not ignorant- I'm well aware of the risks of some non-organic foods. And I do care about my health and the environment. Problem is, I'm completely broke. I could double my grocery bill by buying only organic foods, but then I'd have to skip out on my rent. So I compromise- I only buy organic foods if they're the same price or less expensive than the conventional variety. I shop at a couple of health food stores that have good prices on a few items. Even when buying conventional foods, I still try to avoid those that contain artificial ingredients, preservatives, colorants, MSG, etc. When I have land, I'll grow my own vegetables, and hopefully get a few chickens or ducks as well.