Do you like to read Greek Myths or Mythology?

I remember being in high school when I first got introduced to Greek Mythology. I use to love the stories of nature, the people, and their gods. The stories always had some romance, adventure, and a hero or heroine. What attracts me to greek mythology is also the beauty of a culture that no longer exists. I mean, can oyu imagine living in a time, where all you had to wear were beautiful robes drapping at your feet, where people served you grapes all day, and where people respected the power of nature? One of my faovrite greek myths is the story of how Zues kept changing his form to entice a maiden to fall in love with him. How about you? Do you ever wish you could just change your form like the greek or roman gods? The stories just fill me with magic, romance, and adventure! Anyone know any good mytholgoy books or stores?
@phoenix8606 (4978)
hi! yes, I like reading Greek Myths, because they are really interesting. When I was still at high-school we have learned many of them and i was really keened on them!
Hi finally someone like me who is fascinated with Greek Mythology. :) As far as i can remember,stories like these intrigued me to the point that i do wish that some of them exist here. I love stories of a fair maiden enchanting a god to the point that he needs to come down from Olympus and claim him for himself.What i do regret is how the story ends and often it ends with the maiden being cursed by either the god she rejected or the goddess who grew envious of her beauty.(just like medusa) The story that really held my interest is of Psyche and Cupid. I read it when i when i was still in elementary and it stuck to me ever since.For me this story teaches us that love requires trust and honesty from both sides for it to work.
I remember that story! It was about the maiden Psyche who could not really see her husband, expect at night when he would visit her. Cupid's condition of their marriage was that Psyche had to trust him, even if she could not see him. So one night out of curiousity, she lights an oil lamp to see for herself what her husband looks like. He wakes up startled, and she burns him pretty bad. He flies off to his mother Venus, where Psyche only wants to gain back the trust she has ruined. Venus upon seeing the girl, decides to put her through many tasks to gain the trust back. I remember there is a happy ending, too!
@sasalove (1710)
I am not fascinated with Greek mythology, but as the traditional culture of Greece, I rememberred that the story of Psyche and Gupid have been introduced here and our childhood is still impressive by such romantic and adventurous story. I think the Story of a Journey to the West is also popular in the western country and the quintessence of one country's culture is with no area difference.
@zurichann (235)
I always love reading stories relating to Greek Mythology. I was influenced by my mother's interest to this. She used to tell me stories that she had encountered during her school days such as Iliad and Odyssey. For me, I love the story of Pandora's box. It reminds me that after all evil or bad things we always and still have hope.
@goldeneagle (6776)
I remember having to read some of that stuff when I was in high school, and some of it was actually pretty cool. I hated to read back then, though, so I really didn't get into it that much. Now, however, I love to read, and I have actually thought about getting some of the books and reading them. I would probably enjoy them a lot more now that I am not being forced to read them, and now that I can read them at my own pace.
@lyzabelle (1669)
Yes...Greek mythology is my favorite. I love reading those myths and I am so fascinated with their lives that it's almost larger than life. I happen to read that book about Greek mythology and I don't want to stop reading it. Their life is really beautiful and wonderful.
@DCMerkle (1281)
I like your idea of what life was back then, but I always looked at it this way. After reading the Greek/Roman myths I would wonder what happened to them? If they really existed, what would they think of us now? Are they angry or sad with us for forgetting them? If we still worshipped them today, how would we or they adapt to the new technology that we use? Would there be a new god for the way that we listen to music? Would there be a new god for computers or the internet? Would Atlas become the god of gyms? Just a thought...lol
@daliaj (5689)
I love to read Greek and Roman Mythology. I used to read a lot of those books when I was in school. Now a days, I don't have much time for to read. I am over loaded with my work and feels to take rest during weekends. I feel that it is better to read Greek and Roman mythology rather than reading novels. I also like crime or detective novels.
@jules67 (2790)
I do remember back in high school where we studied all about Greek mythology. It was fun then imagining what it was really like. But now, I am not anymore fascinated about it. Perhaps the younger generation will like it better.
@thebestmom (1105)
i am not fond with mythology stories that much, but watched the movie percy jackson, the lightning thief. are you familiar with that, a story about a boy who discovered that he was the son of poseidon. it was a very entertaining movie.
@vathsala30 (3726)
Hi towongfoo LOL i am very weak in my memory and very weak in History. But during my schooling days, I read the stories of Alexander the great, Julius Caesar, William Shakespear tales and the stories in it contains all the above said stuff and the romance will be explained in a sensitive way. I do not know whether Alexander, Juliun Caesar and Shakespear all belong to Greek civilization or some other era.
@maean_19 (4663)
Way back in High School days, we study History and part of it is the history of Greeks and the Romans. Hence, it includes mythology. My interest on the subject extends to my interest with the kind of movie I watch. At those times, I love the mythology per se and I would always choose Aphrodite/Venus every time we play a role. I would also love watching Hercules and Xena. Plus remembering the battle between Greeks and Spartans, the love story of Helen and Troy, and how can I forget the Trojan horse. Oh! I love their wardrobe really.