how to make soda bread

@doormouse (4619)
i first saw it in the american tv programmes and thought i'd give it a go,but as i'm from the uk i couldn't get the correct ingredients,i had to make do with the next nearest thing,it tasted nice,but it didn't look the same as on tv,the one on telly looked like stale yellow sponge cake,mine came out looking like bread,,please can someone tell me the ingredients i need to make it properly,but bare in mind i'm from the uk,so your measurements and stuff may be different
@owlwings (39750)
• Cambridge, England
Here is all you need to know (and a great deal you never thought you would need to know) about Irish Soda Bread: http://www.europeancuisines.com/Peters-Mums-Soda-Bread-Recipe . It seems that American soda bread is sweeter and may often contain fruit. The only ingredient that may be unfamiliar is 'all-purpose flour'. From my experience, this seems to be half way between our strong bread flour and ordinary flour. The other thing that is quite difficult to get in the UK is buttermilk. The page above, however, tells you how to fake it. I'm wondering if your recipe contains cornmeal (not the same as cornflour) which would account for the yellow colour.
@doormouse (4619)
aaahhhh,cornmeal was the ingredient i couldn't get here,so used maize flour instead,which apparently is the next best thing,,i'll check out the sites you suggested
@doormouse (4619)
i screwed up it's corn bread not soda bread,,sorry
@owlwings (39750)
• Cambridge, England
Ahhhh! Corn bread is quite different. My local post office is run by Indians and they have a fantastic range of flours and meals of all kinds. I seem to recall seeing corn meal there (as well as maize flour). You might try any 'ethnic' stores near you. If you have a Caribbean community, you are very likely to find the right kind of corn meal, I think. What we call 'cornflour' is called 'corn starch' in the US. According to this page, however, what is called 'corn meal' in the US is called 'maize flour' here. Polenta (Italian corn meal) may be closer to what you want: http://www.ochef.com/1041.htm