Being too good for your own good!!!

Righteous Kill - And the better we do that job, the less the other 99% think they need us
@ahgong (10086)
Singapore
February 21, 2010 9:57pm CST
Here I am again, at that point in life where I reflect on what I have done and then think about what I am going to do next. Just yesterday, while waiting for my wife to get ready for our outing, I was channel surfing when I chanced upon the movie "Righteous Kill". The movie was on for a while already. And I happen to be watching the portion where Robert De Niro was sitting on the subway, reflecting on his session with the department Therapist. "Our job is keeping 99% of the population safe from the other 1%. The problem is that we have to spend half our lives with that 1%. And the better we do that job, the less the other 99% think they need us." That last sentence struck a cord with me! Just this morning, when I was in the office, something happened that made me think back to what De Niro's character said! "And the better we do that job, the less the other 99% think they need us." Most of us, when we go to work, we strive to be the best in whatever we are doing to earn our keep. And sometimes, when we are so good at doing what we are doing, it becomes transparent(aka taken for granted) to the people who uses our services. Take for example, the office cleaner. We have a very efficient office cleaning auntie that is so good at her job, I never have to worry about my trash can being full, or the coffee machine being empty whenever I throw something or get a cuppa from the pantry. But has it ever occurred to you that there is someone emptying your trash or refilling the coffee machine every day? Or the System Administrator who is in-charge of maintaining the email system in your office. You never really had any problem retrieving your mails, sending your mails or archiving them for retrieval later. The only time you ever remember that there is someone taking care to ensure the mail services are up is when you hit the "SEND" button and nothing happens. Otherwise, you never would have bothered to acknowledge that there is some one taking care of the system to ensure that you get your mail sent/received ALL the time! Which brings me back to what I wanted to say earlier... I have become so good at maintaining the services of my job, that when it comes to recognition, promotions, remunerations and rewards, I get forgotten that I am good at doing my job and no one ever has to have the inconveniences of having a service down period during my watch. But when a problem occurs, people remembers that I am in charge of the said problematic services and tags the problem as if it is my fault (even when it is not). Exactly like what De Niro's character said! "And the better we do that job, the less the other 99% think they need us." Maybe is it just the career burnt out I am feeling. Maybe it is something more. I feel so tired at times when things like that happen! And even when I am fuming my pants off, I still have to put up a mask to the people around me that I am happy with my job! Sigh~~~~!
1 person likes this
7 responses
@maxilimian (3099)
• Indonesia
22 Feb 10
Hi ahgong! Waw, that's long reflecting to read i think it is right for most people, if we are great than anyone, people will look for us and get dependent with us, but that's the way we live, we need each other, and there's no one perfect, i mean can do it all, so don't worry about the things that you can't do, it is another people tasks to do, just concern with your current job, and let's we do our job Happy mylotting
1 person likes this
• India
22 Feb 10
You are absolutely right!Bosses take credit when things go right,and proclaim the sysytem works because of them.and when things go wrong,it is because of us! Well that's life. Since last 6 months my boss has not even visited my dept.He lets me take my own decision .I am also happy happy that he is not breathing down my neck. yet,I strongly feel that he should acknowledge that dept. works because the team works!Not because a system is in place
1 person likes this
• New Zealand
22 Feb 10
The reason that u r forgotten is because u r a forgettable person. U sit down everyday and do what's required of u BUT in order to be noticed , U have to go beyond of what's required. U have to do EXTRA. Show some leadership :) HELP others and they'll pass on ur good comments to the senior peeps. Oh and remember to kiss ur superior's behinds. It really helps :)
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23475)
• Singapore
22 Feb 10
U are so right!! hehe ^_^ IT reminds me of something which my friend's colleague said, "Things will be done somehow, even if i dun do it myself".. lol =D Does that share the same meaning with whatever u are saying here?? TAken for granted!! lol =D I guess that's just life!! And if being efficient is inside of us, be true to ourself.. There will be a time, we get recognition for our efforts ^_^ Just like now, u are appreciating all those ple around u, with their efforts.. hehe ^_^ Your time and day will come soon, just like now.. hehe
1 person likes this
@MoonGypsy (4613)
• United States
22 Feb 10
wow! that's why i am glad that i don't have a job working for someone else. one of the things i hear the most about is that people find their job thankless. you are not the only one having this complaint. no, i don't make as much money as i would working for someone else right now because my online business is still quite young. i soon will be making more money than i would be working for someone else as my business grows. until then, i am happy and content. i don't have to impress anyone but my public. even then, no pressure cause i am my own boss. i know what i am capable of and what i need to improve upon and i don't have anyone writing a score card for me...never praising me until i do wrong. most jobs/careers are like that no adays. they want all from you without giving equal back in return. you are not only tired, you are a rational being and your feelings are real and valid. have you ever considered working from home. i know you probably can't just quit right away, but plant the seed. you won't regret the feeling of freedom you feel. the most killing thing about working a job, for me was the feeling of being "owned" and trapped. i literally got more depressed (i suffer from clinical depression) then i ever was. i hohope things get better for you soon. get some rest.
1 person likes this
@CJscott (4184)
• Canada
22 Feb 10
What is right about that friend? What makes that right? Play the game good, think about your answers, and see where it leads. Answer completely, answer honestly. There are more questions, later. All in the pursuit of happiness! I appreciate you.
1 person likes this
@happy2512 (1266)
• Philippines
22 Feb 10
Its normal for us to use different mask in different situation especially if we do not want the people we love to worry in seeing us that we have problems if it is worth keeping for why share it to them especially if we can solve it on our own.
1 person likes this