What does fennel taste like?

Today I am going to the grocery store, and am interested in buring some fennel. I see it being used on the cokoing shows all the time, and would like to know what fennel actually taste like. I don't even know what kinds of dishes fennel can be used for, but I am curious to learn. Is fennel a vegetable like lettuce or celery? Can it be used in soup? I am always interested in trying new foods.
• Marion, Kansas
The only time I have used fennel, it has been the seed. The fennel seed is a frequent ingredient in pizza sauces. It is the seasoning that gives Italian Sausage it's distinctive taste. I do not see it in the store often. It is a lot of fun to try new foods, I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you GardenGerty! I agree, it is always fun to try new foods, and since I like to experiment in the kitchen, it gives me a way to have fun whiel being creative! I didn't know it was fennel seeds that give sausage its unique flavor. I leanr something new everday here at mylot!
@ElicBxn (60141)
I hear it has a licorice-y taste