Clothes Separation prior to washing... How do you do it?

I must admit to being one of those people who separate my clothes into three loads, normally I put my whites and the permanent press, etc in warm water, and may put some of the whites in hot water if there is a need for it, and do my colors in cold water. I know two men who are opposites in their clothes washing habits... One believes that it is fine to throw all of his clothes together in one washer and wash them. He said that he does not have any problems washing everything in the warm wash. I do not know if he is telling me the truth but I have never seen him wear any pink whites. My other friend has a tendency to strictly seperate everything into wash by color, reds, blues, whites, and other colors each in their own wash... as he says this maintains the colors better. I am wondering how you seperate your clothing? What works best for you?
@ckyera (17261)
hello white heron, the usual that i do is just separate the whites from colored clothes. but i was them both in cold water... i do the whites first and if i still have time & not tired yet, i also do the colored clothes on the same water where i wash the whites! to save water & soap! haha and sometimes i also have another group of clothes, those that are colored but with lighter color & delicate fabric. i also wash them separately & by hand...
You are amazing... The machines in my apartment complex are automatically set for each load so I cannot save water and soap that way. I applaud your water conservation! Thanks for your response.
@ckyera (17261)
hehe, i think its a common practice here in my place specially for those mid & lower class family. yeah i observed that using a machine for washing clothes requires a lot of water...as compared to handwashing, right now its just not practical to waste water since its also not cheap to pay bills... and at the same time, we are already experiencing some effects of el niƱo here in our country. so water conservation is really needed.
So you are doing everything by hand... I could not do that as there would be no where for anything to dry as I cannot put things outside where I am... and have not much space to hang things on inside... How do you manage drying it all?
@anc457 (186)
• Thailand
just separate whites from colored, and undies then socks.
You put your undies and socks in seperate washes? That is interesting... wondering if I am understanding you correctly? Thanks for your comments here
@anc457 (186)
• Thailand
yup, just loved it that way :-) don't like socks mixed with my underwears :-)
@Lakota12 (42684)
my clothes are mostly dark so I throw them all together and wash in cold water no fading
Ah so you do not worry about fading as everything is the same color and you wash it all in cold water... That sure makes things easy for you.
@Lakota12 (42684)
yup it does. grin!
Yes I always wash the Daily wear-casual wears separately and children cloths seperately. It helps me to sort out the clothes and it consumes time and energy.
I am wondering if you like the fact that it consumes time and energy and am wondering if you find contentment in the process of it... Thank you for your response.
• Mexico
Hello whiteheron! Very interesting question. I guess many recently married ladies have the same question. I say this because I am one. Well, I separate white and light beige in one wash. Colors in another. Jeans and black in another one. A few months ago I was in my aunt's house and there is a big washer machine and I put everyting together and I really regret until now, because a very nice blouse, pearl color, was ruined with red and blu! So now its pearl with red, blue and purple for the mixup! So I'll never do it again. I do jeans and black together for the liquid soap, like woolite, I use is for both, and nothing weard has happened. I also hand wash somethings like socks. Well, keep washing and mylotting! Libna.
I am sorry about that blouse... I have had my share of dyed pink clothing in the past... It is a good thing to put things that are red together for sure and to keep the whites and pearls away from the red and blue. I am glad that nothing weird has happened since then. Thanks for your comments here.
@rosegardens (3044)
It all depends on how much I have to wash. For example, I do not wear many white items and a great percentage consists of nightclothes or undergarments. If I do not have enough to wash separately, often I throw them in with something else. I do not mind they are a bit dingy because they are not meant to be seen. In the winter there are just too many loads of clothes with the bulky sweaters and such, so often those get separated by color. But in the summer, it is darks, lights and occasionally whites if there is enough for a load. If there isn't enough for a full load, everything goes in to justify using the washer. I do not like washing small loads. Mostly I use cold water to wash and rinse, and only use the warm if I'm in a hurry.
Thanks for your comments here... I have the same feeling about the undergarments... I don't mind if they are a little dingy either. I am with you in believing that it is better to wash bigger loads. I am wondering how cold works at cleaning undies and sheets...
@peavey (16487)
I do it pretty much the way you do, but I don't have full loads for three loads, so I separate things into two loads. One is dark and colored, the other is white and light colors like yellow or light pink. When I was doing laundry for the family, I had four loads. One, white, one colored, one dark and one for the grungies, like work pants and rugs. I think it's overkill to seperate into colors - I'd never get through washing! And I think clothes don't get clean if they're all washed together.
I think that your middle way works well... I end up saving clothes up until the loads are close to full thinking that I am conserving water that way... I also must admit that I put off doing the wash until I can put it off no longer and as I am single that is until I run out of something vital... I agree with you about sorting it into all those colors and also about throwing it all in together... neither approach appeals to me either. Thanks for your comments here.
@jesssp (2742)
I pretty much just chuck everything in the wash together and use cold water. If I have something new - like a pair of jeans - I will wash it with like colors only for the first few times so it doesn't 'bleed' all over lighter clothes. Every now and then I'll gather up all the whites and bleach them but for the most part everything just goes in there together.
I must admit that I was thinking I had to separate my clothes and wash them in three temperatures and that I was doing things wrong by not using hot and just using warm and cold... I must admit to being amazed that cold works well for everything... Thanks for sharing this here.
I mostly wash all colors in the same wash with cold water. They will be fine this way. never wash dark clothes in hot water.
All clothes in cold water... even the undies...? And they are all nice and clean ... remarkable... Thanks for sharing.
I have boxes in my basement I seperate.... darks (adult & kids- reds, navy, blacks, browns as they go into the dryer), the DD's clothes, DS Clothes as he has eczema and can't have regular detergent, socks & undies + towels. I think it's a waste to seperate every single color. Unless you are doing like I do and the darks go in the dryer or are bleaching whites.
I've been washing my own cloths for 35+ years an never seperate them, but I use the cold/cold setting.
i do this at work because it is required. just whites and colors. but at home no way! i just throw everything in together. if whites are really bad, i do some separate and bleach them but otherwise its all the same to me.
@geniustiger (1699)
clothes, laundries, separate - clothes, whites,separate
Before the laundries happen, I will separate all whites, colored clothes, clothes that fades away when it is putted in water. I will soak the white colors with powder and left it . I focused on colored clothes that does not change its colors and specially uniforms. Second I wash all the stuffs thats fades away . If you mixed it , it can change the color of important dress or uniform. I will do this for the proper care of the special clothes to wear for work. I dont want that my white clothes was being painted by other colors.
Most of my clothes are black or purple, so I tend to put them all in the same wash with cool water. I also prefer to use a washing liquid rather than a powder as the powder always leaves a residue on black clothes.
@libramie (563)
I also separate my clothes in washing into three to four loads according to colors but in cold water. It spend me much if I prepare hot water for washing.