If someone challenges you,do you back down or rise to the challenge?

@pandaeyes (2068)
I really dislike people who say 'that cant be done'! They are abandoning a plan without ever having tried it. They have failed before they have even begun and they are adamant that you should do the same. Often it is people who think they are cleverer ,more experienced or even stronger than you are. They really don't want you to succeed and sometimes they will say 'well fine, you try it then and you will see'! in a very derisive and superior manner. So there are three things you can do. 1. Ask another expert what they think. 2. Give up 3. try your suggestion yourself. Many times we choose number 3 and find actually it did work! We have done this lots of times. To me the words' it can't be done' are a challenge and I am immediately fired up to do the impossible. Have you done the impossible? What was it ? Or did you give up because the experts said so?
@common_man (1799)
There is nothing that can not be done. Even impossible says "I M POSSIBLE". Yes many times it may happen that our capabilities are underestimated by our seniors/parents etc and they thought some thing can not be done, probably they think in perspective defined by present limitations, environmental condition etc. so when some one says something can not be done, i immediately take it as challenge, try to find out why he/she thinks so, what are bottle necks in doing so. and act to remove hurdles and achieve that thing. I have many things, that others thought can not be done.
@pandaeyes (2068)
You believe in yourself and that is the most important thing. Those who doubt themselves are never going to try for fear of failing. In reality they fail as soon as they say they can't do it. I think that the scientists and inventors are the ones who say, I will do it or try as hard as I can.
@se7enthbird (8328)
ireading your discussion made me rememebr what my wife told me once, that people who say that cant be done are reasons of people who are lazy. lazy to try and to see it for themselves. i wont give up, even i cant i will try maybe up to three times before giving up. just to see if i can or cant. atleast i tried and atleast i wont be thinking what ifs in the future.
@pandaeyes (2068)
yeah much better to try and then at least you know. It is maddening to have people doubt you and your abilities.
@RobtheRock (2485)
I always hear that said. The saying I always here is "you can't beat the state." So it's very hard to get a lawyer, even if you are right. For example years ago I tried to get a loan. The loan lady told me the state had a court ruling against me for $2,000 in taxes. What? She was nice enough to give me the name of the court. I tried to get a lawyer and was told that the state doesn't make mistakes. So I went to a different city where my case was, looked at the court records, and found that they had the wrong person. I got it straightened out. The other time was when I fought for unemployment. The lawyers in town said, "you can't fight the state." So I got a lawyer in another city. He won my case for me. People always tell me I can't do something and I rise to the challenge.
@pandaeyes (2068)
We are quite trodden on really aren't we? the ordinary person I mean. If you had been a rich person,your case would have been taken on immediately. Glad you won through regardless of their opinions.
Virtually all my life I have had little to no self esteem, as such it is often hard for me to rise to a challenge as I feel I have failed even before I begin. However, I also have a stubborn streak inside of me which makes me give everything a really go go. This trait in me came out big time when I was told by a doctor that I would never be able to have children, HA, guess what, my son is now 24 years old :-)
@pandaeyes (2068)
Argh sometimes 'professional' people are the worst. When I was expecting my son I had a scan which the doctor said was borderline and we should think about maybe terminating. I was shocked but my husband rang his sister who worked in a hospital bloods lab and told her about it and she said that it didn't sound borderline at all, it sounded normal so she arranged for us to have another scan by talking to someone at our local hospital on the phone. Our doctor asked us what we wanted to do and we said oh we had another scan . It came back fine . The doctor was quite angry that we had gone behind her back but really we might have not had my son if we had believed her word was final. Fortunately we were moving home and now have an excellent doctor. My son is 21.
@derek_a (10903)
I enjoy a challenge. When I was younger there were members of my family telling me "it can't be done" constantly. In 9 out of 10 times, I proved them wrong. I wouldn't say I have done the impossible, because if it was impossible I wouldn't had done it. But I have done the seemingly impossible according to my family. _Derek
@pandaeyes (2068)
Haha ! I like that. My Father in law was always very skeptical of our abilities (well probably of everyones abilities) and then was silent when we had done the thing which couldn't be done. Somehow being told it is not doable, makes a thing so much more of an achievement when you have done it.