Can animals like the Killer Whale really Premeditate?

I was watching the news this morning about the killer whale that killed the animal trainer. What got me was that some guy said it was "premeditated." I don't believe an animal or mammal can premeditate killing their prey or human trainers, because they are animals. Yet the news also said the whales are pretty intelligent, and the animal's trainer pony tail was what got the killer whales attention right before her death. I just have a hard time believing that an animal or mammal canpremeditate much of anything. If that was the case, you might on trial for murder for premeditating. Even my mom didn't believe it when the guy being interviewed said her death was premeditated. Our reaction was disbelief. Do you believe an animal can premediate murder, or anything else for that matter?
Hi Towongfoo! I believe they can. Have you seen the documentary about the dolphins who will send one of them to swim in circles so that the sand at the bottom will blind a certain species of fish so they get trapped in that circle and try to jump out of it and all around the circle, more dolphins are waiting for the catch!! I know my dog does, not to kill but he can "plan in advance". I was totally weirded out the first time he did that but he does often. They do think. Not sure how they do it but they do. I dont believe they'd kill for no reason. Something must have triggered that whale to attack this way. Maybe it didnt want to kill....have you ever thought of that? To them, being in the water is normal.
I don’t think that the concept of murder can be applied to animals as they hunt for food…however, animals which are ferocious can attack without any provocation…anything that can be like a threat to them (may the lady’s pony tail sent some signals to his brain)…yes, whales are very intelligent mammals and I think their brains are matured enough to premeditate…of course it cant be the same as murder, maybe the whale though of it as posing some danger to it. Many such animals are put to sleep…maybe that’s our way of punishing them for committing ‘murder’
@snoopyfan (1315)
No this whale did not premeditate. A animal expert has already said when she was leaning over and the whale saw the pony tail he could have grabbed it as a toy and thought he was playing. It was a accident and this expert said that she shouldn't have been leaning down like that by the whale. Yes animals are very intelligent but come on a whale is going to be planning on killing a trainer? I know there are a lot of theories going on and the truth is no one is ever going to know the real reason. I think that guy just wants to be on tv.
@sk66rc (4261)
Studies indicate that most animals actions are based on their instinct rather than on their intellect. If that's the case, than how do we seperate their actions purly based on their hunger. Some sort of planing has to be in place for them to hunt. Regardless of how primitive or rudimentary it may seem to us, there has to be some sort of planing has go into their hunting skills. It was tought from one generation to another. If that's the case, then planning implise premeditaion. Have you seen a wild tiger or lion hunting? They get down low so that their prey can't see them. You see them sneaking around, in most cases, they coordinate their hunting efforts with other members of their herd. Is that some rudimentray form of premeditation? Considering that most animals can learn & adopt, I think it's not all that impossible. If you ring a bell everytime you feed a dog, then next time you ring a bell, the dog will start to related to feeding time & start to salivate. This test has been proven before. If we take this one step further, if you start ringing a bell, eventually dog will come upto you with their dish in their mouth or pace around you waiting for you to feed them. Is that part of premeditated actions? Dog may be thinking, "She rang the bell. That means she's gonna feed me. I'm gonna bring my dish, or I'll hang around until she does because I know she'll feed me. I know this because she rang the bell!" That would be actually an interllectual reasoning involved, no matter how baic of reasoning it may be.