What is pancetta?

I am also wondering about pancetta, for it looks like a meat. I would also like to try this in a recipe, for I hear pancetta is very good. Maybe with some rice and eggs (separately of course). I have seen the shows where all the chefs use it, so I thought to give it a try myself.
@owlwings (38861)
• Cambridge, England
Pancetta is a type of spiced bacon made from belly pork and usually unsmoked. In the UK and the US it is sold in cubes rather than in slices and used as a flavouring rather than as a meat in its own right. It is rather dryer (and more fatty) than English or American bacon and has a different flavour because of the spices. If it weren't so expensive, I would prefer it to bacon because our bacon tends to contain saltpetre, which makes it rather harsh and often over-salted.
Owlwings has it right on. Pancetta is an Italian cured but unsmoked pork product similar to Ham or Bacon. I use Pancetta mostly as a flavoring agent in the first part of my sautes with the Vegetables (onions, celery) before building my sauce. It has an unique flavor profile. akman!
We have our own version here in Spain, it's Jamon Serrano, it's exactly the same thing. A great thing to do with it is to wrap is around some chicken fillets and bake it in the oven. You can also add it to a pasta sauce or just eat it on it's own like we do here.