What's in a N?

@ronaldinu (12440)
Malta
Last Friday my wife and I visited our family doctor at his clinic. After giving me a lesson about my diet, what should I eat or not, he asked us about our son. My wife told him that she is going to take him to a neurologist specialist (MR X for example not to reveal his real identity ) and she needs a form to be filled. Thus we can have a refund from the health insurance company. As soon as he was going to sign the paper, our family doctor asked why are you going to take your child to Dr X. for? My wife replied that she has obtained this specialist telephone number from her colleague. Her father is a client of him and says he is really a good one. Lately she is preoccupied about our sons coordination and wants to make sure that everything is really fine. Our family doctor started laughing and said...that Mr X is a Eurologist not a Neurologist. I had a good laugh at her expense. What's in a N? Do you consider yourself as a sharp person or sometimes everybody is bound to make silly mistakes?
@MoonGypsy (4613)
doctor's are usually arrogant son of witches. not all of them. some of them think they are the smartest people in the world cause they went through all that schooling. i am in graduate school to be an attorney (hopefully that's what i truly want to be but let me not go there now for this purpose...lol), that doesn't mean i know everything. it doesn't mean i will know everything when i graduate and pass the bar. it only means i pass school curriculum. i am not going to know EVERYTHING about the law still, and i certainly will not know everything in life. you are not in the medical profession, so why should Dr. freak head X think you should know medical terminology to the letter N? arrogant and pompous.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Heheh I am sure you are going to be a very good lawyer. Our family doctor is quite a friendly doctor. I don't know what type of medical you system you have in your country but in ours we have what we call family doctors or general practitioners who even visit you at your home. They ll get to know you on a first name basis! So neither I nor my wife took it as an offence. Thanks for your reply.
I try to be very careful so I understand the words that sound similar, but some times things just get scrambled in my head, and I will take something very literally that I should not, or something along that line. I can see why your wife might make a mistake with her colleague. I think I would have asked my family physician first who he would recommend as he would know my son.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
He ended recommending two neurologist... We should have consulted him first :)
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I must admit, I have an annoying tendency to pounce on other people's silly mistakes. I also get annoyed when other people point out mine. What is in an 'n', anyway?
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
sometimes its better if we take life with a pinch of salt and have a good laugh at our own silly misatkes:)
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yep, it is!
@zed_k4 (17627)
Haha, that was a good one; I had a great laugh reading. Short, funny moments like this tend to make us feel like it's good to be clumsy once in awhile and to be able to laugh at ourselves our at our love ones.. for the humor of it. And I think stuffs like this may also break the ice too.. in some occasions.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I think we need to learn to laugh at ourselves sometimes.
@zed_k4 (17627)
Absolutely, I think so too..
Oh, ronaldinu! You know how being concerned about your child's health turns off many brain cells! This would not have happened if nobody was worried, of course!
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Yes she is a worrier when it comes to our child's health. But who does not when children are involved?
Absolutely!
@kun2349 (23475)
lol =D An additonal letter in a word can make a world lot of difference huh?? haha =D IMagine it's not something serious, and one is able to laugh it off.. hehe ^_^ BUt what happens if it's cancer or whatever?? The wrong doctor might diagnose other things instead, and leaving the deadly factor undetected!! As such, no matter what recommendations, it's best for one to double check rather than plain taking it all.. hehe
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
The mix up was created by my wife who did not consult with the family doctor first! However everything is fine now. the urologist appointment has been cancelled and an appointment with a nurologoist has been fixed.
@walijo2008 (4647)
That is funny, and I'm sure your wife felt very silly afterwards, I would of been mad at first, especially if my husband had a good laugh about it. I consider myself to be a sharp person, but there's always somebody that likes to point out the mistakes you make, those would be my siblings, they never leave me alone, even now after we're all grown up..haha.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
At first she felt a bit silly yes but the three of us had a good laugh afterwards. She could see the funny side of it.
@JenInTN (27564)
it's hard to keep up with all of those doctors..LOL..I make mistakes too.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
It's good to know that you are not the only one! :)
@iridium (436)
what's a Eurologist specialize in then?
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Urologist specialises on the urinary tracts of males and females, and on the reproductive system of males
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Many years ago I had a friend who told me that his sister had been in hopsital seriously ill. 'She had to have a vasectomy" he said! I looked somewhat surprised. Then he remembered. She had in fact had a tracheotomy!!
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Oh dear I was just wondering how a woman was going to have a vasectomy :)
@savypat (20246)
Tell your wife that the best thing to do is laugh along, we are all human and it's very good to laugh at ourselves often. Most of us take life much to seriously. Blessings
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
Laughter is the best medicine they say. It keeps us young and healthy :)
@dragon54u (31635)
I think it's pretty common for someone not familiar with medical terminology to confuse the types of doctors there are, and it's embarrassing, too! You--cut down on fat and salt, watch the calories and take a walk everyday at the very least! Hey, why is she concerned about your son's coordination? Every child, especially boys, can be very uncoordinated and clumsy till long after puberty. Sometimes there is reason to be concerned but most of the time there's not. I hope her worries are set to rest!
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
He is a mild Aspergers. Aspergers are clumsy and their coordination is poor. Lately she is being worried that there is a link between Parkinson and Aspergers and she wants to take our son for a checkup cos of that reason.
@cripfemme (7715)
I think it's okay to laugh at your wife's mistake as long as you are okay when laughs at you for doing this same thing, as you will do inevitably. I laugh at things people do all the time. The thing you need to worry about is that not everyone thinks this funny. One of my assistants is such a person. She's a very sensitive soul and doesn't understand that people are kidding. So I have to modify my behavior around her. I hope your wife is not like that.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
the doc was harmless he did not want to offend my wife. Even I had a good laugh at his clinic.o
@kprofgames (3103)
I think I'm pretty on it when it comes to things, but have been known to get tunnel vision where I want some answers or something done and then realize I'm creating more work then neccessary. I can say I sympathize with you and your wife. Sometimes getting answers for a loved one is harder then we want. That ray of hope that answers to make our lives easier came make little details missed. I think it was a bit rude of the doctor to state what he did, how he did it, but then again from his perspective he thought it was funny misslocation of the N. STill being a parent of a special child can be hard. He should have taken better care in how he informed you in the difference of the doctor.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
If it was not for our doctor we would have ended visiting a Eurologist instead of neurologist. hmm he was not rude at all. He was just perplexed why does my wife wants to take her 9 yr old son to such specialist. All the three of us had a good laugh
hi ronalidinu I am laughing too as she was going to go to the wrong end of the child and no need to do that. An n can sure make a difference like in urologist just think kidneys and urine and you have it made. Neurologist think nerves and again you have it made.It sometimes helps if you are looking for a particular specialist and forgot the word if you have an anatomy book handy which shows the systems of the body, like the endocrine system with all our glands, you have thyroid or diabetes problems you need an endocrinologist and so on. I am sharp only because I worked in a hospital most of my life so know most of the lingo for names of specialists. like optic is for eyes ophthalmologist is an eye specialist. a doctor for checking your eyes for glasses is an optician.children pediatrics pediatrician feet podiatrist. for the retina of the eyes is a retinologist. A kidney specialist is also a nephrologist. do not think thats spelled quite right but know it starts with nephro
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I am glad that you had a good laugh, that was my intention.