Why parents are overprotective towards their daughters?

Are parents overprotective towards their daughters because they love them more than their sons or is there any other reason?
I think it does not mean that if parents are overprotective of their daughter that they love them more than their sons. The main reason there is that girls tend to be weaker than boys that is why they need more protection. Boys can handle themselves quite well (on the physical side like they are stronger than girls) which is why they need less supervision from their parents. Girls are the ones who might end up getting pregnant if not guided properly so the more parents are protective of their girls.
@junrapmian (2170)
I'm a mother of 4, 2 boys and 2 girls. I have been overprotective of my daughters because I felt that as girls they are more sensitive, weak and vulnerable. They are now aged 22 and 20, I have never told them not to get into a relationship. But they chose to be because they have seen it with their friends, who fall in love early, get pregnant early, married early and still lives with the parent to support them. NBSP or no-boyfriend-since-birth as they call my daughters. I am also afraid that they might fall into a trap of getting into a relationship and cry and be hurt during the process so I am always ready to give advices and support. I told them to be emotionally ready first before they go into it. As of now, they are still very careful, I want them to really fall in love and choose the ones that will love them back also and be financially secure before getting married.
@erikmama (12935)
Although I am a mother of boys, I wanted to respond to this. No, parents dont love daughters more than sons. They are over protective for their daughters because as females, we are the ones who are more vurnerable to things. We have to protect them because girls are most caring and sensitive. Girls are precious,just as boys are/But the boys have a big advantage.
@sid556 (31023)
Hi Achilles, I had 4 daughters and no sons so maybe I'm not qualified to answer this. I don't think parents love their daughters more at all. I think they maybe are more protective because their daughters are the ones who could get pregnant and that could affect their entire life from there on out. There are a lot of guys that prey on young, naive girls. Of course guys get affected too but it is easier for them to walk. Their worlds don't get turned upside down by an unexpected pregnancy in the same way asa a girls does. I really don't know for sure. I think if I had a son that I would be paying just as much attention to his upbringing as I would my girls.
Of course parents don't love their daughter more then their sons. That is just ridiculous. Most parents are overprotective of their daughter because a young girl is far more vulnerable to dangers then young boys are. For women there is rape, pregnancy, molestation, kidnapping, etc. And while young boys can be subjected to these things too in a way, usually it isn't as dangerous or as likely.
@kialele (126)
good question. I guess the reason is female is more emotional than guys and it is easier for girl to be cheated in relation or love. That's why many people want to protect their daughter more.
@syankee525 (6298)
yeah i am one of those fathers. will i did and still do because to me females have it harder then boys as far as being raped or taken. i was and still is very protective of my daughter who's 25 now. i will have her call me when she get to places or if she's decided to stay at a friends house over night. but she used to get so upset at me because my son had more freedom and was able to go more places then her growing up. she had to have someone else with her at all time when it came to walking or going anywhere. and i just told her when she comes to pick up my wife the night i have my operation she is going to have my nephew with her so she wont have to walk through the parking lot alone in the dark but she did tell she understand why i am the way i am with her, and now she's very graceful that i do care that much for her
@p3ks626 (6552)
When I was young my parents were really very strict. They were also very strict to my sisters but among all the three of us I was the "black sheep". I wasnt bad, I just wanted to explore. My parents have this certain rule at home that we should be home by 6 pm. I wan ted to go out so I always ask my cousin (a guy) to go with me if I have to go somewhere. My parents didnt allow me to go swimming with my friends but I still went swimming and they didnt know it. I didnt tell them anymore because I know they will not approve to it. I also had my first boyfriend when I was 19 years old and they didnt know about it too. For me, it okay to be strict but being overprotective in not very good. When I would have my own kids, I wouldnt do what my parents did to me. Not that I hate my parents about it but I am actually thankful on how they disciplined me. All I wanted to say is that I wanted my kids to be disciplined to and obey me not because they are afraid of me but because they obey me because they love me.
I too think parents don't overprotect their daughters because they love them more than their sons. As most fellow myLotters mentioned here, the daughters, being females, are more vulnerable to the dangers outside of home. I know, I've been sort of overprotected. We're only two siblings, my brother and me. But when we are both outside the house, my mom would worry for both of us. I remember when I was a kid, I was never allowed to commute to school on my own. I was always fetched by the school bus service until high school. I don't have a curfew but 9pm would already be late for me. I understand that, because it's really dangerous at night. There have been some crimes in our neighborhood. As a daughter, I sometimes felt overprotected but I know I'm not the worst case so I feel all right I understand that I am being protected from the dangers around. But honestly, I sometimes wish I was born a boy because I would've had more freedom and would've been able to do more stuff.
@ctrlor (76)
oh,yeah, even though i am a male who not a father, but i can understand what you say, at the most time , the girl is more tender and milder than the boy,i can always feel some worm from them. so i like the little girl...
@patzel88 (3311)
I am a mother of two kids, one son and one daughter, i love them both and because my daughter is 10 years younger to my son, we gave more attention to her for she only 3 years old. But my husband is more protective to my daughter.
@common_man (1799)
Friend, I beg to differ that Parents love their daughter more than their son. as far as my thinking goes, Parents love their children equally, weather the child is girl or a boys. Yes we found , or we feel, that girls are more protected by Parents then sons, because girls are more delicate, more emotional and need more care because they r less strong then sons, in general. In society the crimes again girls are on rise and therefore, it becomes necessary to protect them more.
It is the other way around. Boys are more loved than girls atleast in Indian families but being overprotective as far as the girl child is concerned it is but natural as there are wolves around who may devour them! Also boys do not like being supervised which if over done they may even go astray.
i believe that girl is girl i mean a lot of things will be get from a girl unlike to girls....
@jammyt (2824)
I'm a daughter and I guess the answer to this would be because girls can lose so many things that boys wont. Girls are more fragile and sensitive in certain issues. This is why parents are more protective toward daughters than sons. This doe not mean, they love their sons any less. In fact, sons are sometimes favorites of parents than the daughters. Its just nature to be like this towards the daughters.
@Mike4me (567)
Parents are protective towards their daughters because they want the best for their daughters. They never wanted them to get hurt and fall to someone not good for their daughters. My parents are like that, if they could only do some background checks to my boyfriend, they really would.