Aggressive child In mom's daycare

My mom just started watching a new 18 month old girl called Dayna! It is her first day at mymother's licensed daycare, but from what I hear so far, the hcild is aggressive. She steps on other's children's toys, takes them away, and then will hit the other children. I think my mom is at her wit's end, for she laid the girl down for a nap after feeding her. How do you deal with aggressive children, whether your own or in a daycare business? got any advice I can share with my mom?
@besthope44 (12145)
Aggressive babies, need more care, especially in form of love, pampering. Basic reason for some kid being aggressive is also due to lack of nutrition. Just a special care and lots of love will help her. Also for some time you can avoid her being playing with other kids. Your moms special care will make the child good!!
You've hit on a very important issue, one that's overlooked almost all of the time. A child diet, could quite possibly also be affecting his/her actions. This is something that should definitely be explored...8o)
What is it about some people that always want to find something to blame for a childs bad behavior other than bad parenting? The child needs to be seperated from the other children everytime she acts agressive. There may well be something wrong with her diet, but just correcting that will not help. The longer she is allowed to act as she has been the harder it will be to change that behavior even if her diet needs to be changed. This, its not their falt BS is getting out of hand, she has not been taught by her parents how to share.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I hope that your mum manages to deal with this aggressive behaviour. I think being calm, having a serene environment will help the toddler to calm down a bit. Perhaps having a soothing music as a background music. Talking to this child in a soothing calm voice will help a bit. If you reply with an aggressive manner or spanking, the child will continue to be aggressive. Perhaps teaching the child saying please, thank you, waiting for her turn will help this child to behave better.
@Lindalinda (4112)
What kind of training does your Mom have? I know all the workers in the day care centre where my granddaughter goes have a certificate in Early Childhood Work. I verified this with the manager of the child care centre when she was first enrolled. I go there sometimes to visit and partake in some activities and have observed many an agressive child, in particular when they are new, usually in their first week. It is totally marvellous how these young women handle the situation. We had a problem with my granddaughter in as much as she did not want to get ready to go home, such as putting on her snowsuit and boots and or getting into her stroller. It was totally exasperating. Sometimes it took 45 minutes or one hour to get her out of there. I saw how the whole staff tackled this problem and it is much easier now to get her ready to go home. Now we have to work on the morning routine. When she arrives there, she does not want to get her snowsuit and boots off. Little kids do not think logically. Does your Mom have a helper? sometimes a different approach works wonders.
@solared (1210)
If the other parents knew what was going on I do not think they would be too happy, seems to me you should talk to her parents, if it ever got hit she was doing this then the other parents might take their children out until she is removed. Talk to the parents give them a chance to correct the problem and if that don't work, then refuse have the child in daycare.
keep on correcting the child as much as she's allowed to. Take toys away, correct bad behavior right away ect.... And of course most of all she should probably take note of the behavior problems and then tell the parent they need to follow through on their end in their household or they'd have to find other means of child care. You can't have other kids getting potentially injured because of this child. And it would be easier to loose one child / customer than several if an injury was to occur KWIM?
@charblaize (1030)
When I read this, I immediately thought of one the girls (elizabeth) that I used to watch in a daycare where I worked and about the same age. She done the same things and would snip at us also. She did get alot of attention at home, for she was the only child. You also also have to remember this is only her first day so she will try and see how much she can get away with. Many children this age will need boundaries and a structured routine. The only thing we could do at the daycare was time outs. I would also talk with the parents because some things may be going on home also that will help you understand why she is behaving/acting like she is. Good luck.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
Well since the child is not hers she can only do so much. If I were her when the mom or dad come to pick her up she needs to talk to them about her behavior. She needs to explain what she did today so they the parents can teach her how to behave with other children. Maybe if your mom separated her from the rest of the kids to show her if you can't get along with the other kids then you will play by yourself. Maybe then she will learn to behave. She probably has no boundaries at home and that is why she is acting this way.
It is really difficult to be able to deal with an aggressive child. I know with my youngest niece who is for some reason turning into a very aggressive child is that I will take the item that she is causing trouble with away from her and firmly tell her no. Then, if the behavior persists she will go into the playpen for some time out. She is almost 18 months old now and I think it is time that she start getting discipline and is learning right from wrong.
Maybe she is venting, I remember when my daughter started Pre-K...I would help out in the mornings and one of the student cried every morning after her mom left for almost 3 months. She's a well adjusted, independent adult now, but at the time I would never have thought she would have been able to survive on her own. Maybe her way of showing how unhappy she is...is by lashing out. I would talk to her mom and let her mom know that quite possibly the only way to make this transition work, would require her [the mom] to spend some time with her daughter in the mornings just until she adjusted to this new environment. Let's not give up on this little toddler, until we dig a little deeper...8o)