Upgrading your rings?

My rings - Not a perfect picture, was taken with my phone
Have you ever traded in or upgraded your ring? If your spouse gave you the option of upgrading it or getting a new, nicer ring would you do it, or would you rather keep your original for sentimental reasons? My husband and I got married shortly after the birth of our twins, so needless to say money was tight. We didn't even have real rings on our wedding day. We had some fake things that turned our fingers green and we both stopped wearing them shortly after the wedding. For Christmas, around 6 months after we were married, my husband gave me a real ring, though it was cheap. It was just an engagement ring, but it was real gold and real diamond. I wasn't crazy about it, he picked it out himself and I didn't like the cut he chose. It's sort of an oval shape, and the top and bottom are really sharp, and over the years have caused lots of cuts on me, him, and the kids. We've been married nearly seven years, and all I've had all this time was just that engagement ring. (He eventually did get a real band, maybe a year after we were married) There've been a few times over the years where hubby has wanted to get me a wedding set that would replace the ring I had. So when we were expecting our tax returns that was on the agenda of what to do with our money. We went out ring shopping the night before Valentine's Day. I went to 2 different shops and tried on a couple different rings. I looked at a few sets that would have replaced my ring, but I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to do that. Sure I'm not exactly crazy about my ring, but it means something to me. It was my first real diamond, and for nearly 7 years it has been a symbol of my marriage. In the end I kept my ring, and chose a wrap to go with it, so it looks like there are settings on either side of my diamond. I also got a band to go with it, and it has 5 small diamonds in the band, it's technically an anniversary band. The whole set looks really nice, and I was able to keep my original ring. I call that a win/win situation!
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
At 10 years, we went in to get my plan band attached to my other one and have diamonds put into it. Instead we ended up remaking the engagement ring to look more like it did when we first bought it (had to be remade smaller because a diamond kept falling out). I'm still waiting for the other band. :-)
I had my wrap and engagement ring attatched to each other. I'm thinking now I might want the band attatched to them as well.
@dawnald (84124)
• Shingle Springs, California
wrap?
It's a ring meant to wrap around the engagement stone... so that it looks like the engagement ring has settings on either side of the stone.
@Barb42 (4225)
I would never want to trade in my ring. I was 22 years in getting my engagement diamond. My husband and I had matching wide bands when we married. And he later took me out shopping for a ring. We picked out a few and the one I have is the one I really loved. But I was not with him when he decided to buy it. He gave it to me for Christmas one year, a BIG surprise!! HE still has his band, but mine got stolen out of our closet along with most all my jewelry and other things in a house break-in while we were gone about 6 or 7 years ago. It really upset me when it happened because they stole a beautiful pecan wood jewelry box he had given me on the first Christmas with our son back in 1968. That is what had held all my jewelry!
@Barb42 (4225)
No, can't replace a ring you had stolen that was the first one. But,when he bought the engagement ring, he also bought me another thinner wedding band. So that's why my original band was in it's leather box in the closet.
So sorry to hear that.
@jesssp (2743)
I think you definitely made the right choice. Your set looks beautiful and it is nice to be able to mix the sentimental with the upgraded. I would not want to change mine or get a different one. I do need to have them fused together and re dipped though. I love the set, I love that my husband picked it out and it does have a lot of sentimental value. But, hypothetically speaking, if I didn't like it I think I would consider having it melted down and remade with a new setting using the same gold and diamonds. That way it's fresh and new but it's also still the same.
It's great that you like yours... of course you're still getting used to it, lol. Hopefully you'll still feel that way in 10 years. I'm pretty sure I will, I love my set now.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
My husband and I started out with a wedding ring that was fake. Before our wedding his grandmother offered us my husband's great grandparents bands. We now wear those. Needless to say I would never want an ugrade from what I have. It's a beautiful, simple gold band that has symbolism for us, and a sentimental value. I'm not much of a ring person either way, so a new ring would not appeal to me as much as a nice gift that I would use.
A ring doesn't need to be a family heirloom in order to have sentimental value... my simple engagement ring had plenty of sentimental value, and a great story behind it as well. A wedding ring is forever... a gift you can use doesn't last nearly as long. I'm proud to have such a beautiful set that I may someday pass down to my own grandchildren.
@hofferp (4739)
I think what you ended up doing is great! I probably would have kept my old ring for sentimental reasons, but what you did is wonderful.
Thanks, I'm very happy with my decision.
@skysuccess (8882)
katsmeow1213, Till today, my wife will wear that ring which was given to her on our day of marriage and would never want to exchange it with any promotion or exchange program. So 5 years later into our marriage, we sat down one night after our children were asleep and out of conversation topic, I asked why all these 5 years she would not want to upgrade it for a better cut or better designed ring. I wasn't actually trying to convince her to nor want to pry but what she said was a really beyond me and has been with me till this day. Let me quote: "I think you actually did not know that it wasn't on the day when you proposed that I chose to marry you and spend the rest of my life with you. Sky, when you first appeared in front of me. I told myself that you are the one ABOVE all the guys I have met I saw the real person inside you who is ever so dedicated, devoted and most of all as true as your effort in buying this ring for me. The excruciating efforts and sacrifices you had to go through to get me this ring is all engraved not only on this ring of mine, but my heart as well. You've not only touched me since the day we met but has been doing that till today!" I just do not know what to say on the spot when she looked at me in the eyes and said those words. But, I can tell you that feeling of being appreciated and loved inside me, was really beyond any words can describe. And when she leaned over to peck my cheek, my heart just melted there like ice cream on a frying pan. Talking against about women taking the initiative, I think we men really have to learn a lesson here. So, let me assure you that it is beyond a win-win situation here and I am sure your husband will appreciate, understand and love your for it.
I got a new wedding ring for christmas. My original wedding ring was just so tight on me after gaining weight with having children that I couldn't even get it on anymore. So this christmas my husband and I went out wedding ring shopping and I bought a plain gold band to match his wedding ring. I still have my first wedding ring and I plan to give it to which ever one of my daughters gets married first, that's if they would want it of course!
I probably would have just resized the original ring. Before we went shopping for my rings, I kept telling him I wanted nothing more than a simple gold band to go with my engagement ring... I like nice and simple and plain. The lady showed us the wrap first, which I liked and figured that would suffice, but it still seemed like something was missing, which is when she showed us the anniversary band and I just loved it! It's a bit more than I originally would have wanted, but I think it's still simple enough.
@sether7 (184)
This is a great idea, I never thought possible. Unfortunately, I recently lost our wedding band last year. I don't know what happened and why it slipped on my fingers but probably it fell on the cab. I was absentminded at that time and my hubby really got angry because its also his birthday when I lost it. We're planning to get a new one when we have a budget and this time I'll make it sure that it'll really fit my fingers well.
I had to wear my engagement ring on my middle finger for a couple months because I was losing so much weight. Somedays I wouldn't wear it at all for fear of losing it. But when I bought my new rings I got the old one resized so now they all fit well enough that they won't fall off.
I have recently lost my engagement ring as in the winter it is more loose on my fingers and it has fallen off somewhere. I didn't notice straight away so have no idea where it could be. I would love to have it bac as although my Partner and me and can go and buy another one (when and if we have the money) it's the sentiment. It wasn't a particularly expensive ring but like yours if was diamonds and was white gold which I love. I know I don't have much luck finding it but at the same time I don't want any other ring as silly as it sounds. I just want mine back. I know the situation is slightly different but I feel when answering its a similar response. I think what you done was a great idea. Definately a win/win. You still have your original ring with it's sentimentel value and yet a slighlty updated version created yourself. Maxine
I hope you're able to find your ring.. I'd hate to lose mine!
My partner gave me a lovely little celtic knot ring with an amethyst and I have worn it every day since then. However, we are to be married in May and my wedding band will be my upgrade but I will still wear the little celtic knot ring on my other hand.
Sounds nice.. does the celtic ring hold meaning for him? Or you? Like ancestry wise or something?
@MrsFrizzle (1964)
We got engaged Senior year of high school so my ring was cheap too. When we got married my husband was a student teacher making no money at the time. I was making enough to pay the bills. So my wedding band was also very cheap. real diamonds and white gold but very small. In fact since we have gotten married 5 years ago one of the diamonds have fallen out of both my rings. About two years ago my husband offered to buy me a nicer set. We looked around but everything was so expensive. I decided it was better for us to save a few thousand dollars towards our future house. Now my rings are not perfect but we have a house and a son and our money was spent on more important things. I sometimes still admire other peoples rings but I am happy with my choice.
The rings I found were actually on clearance.. so we spent less than $1000 on them, and I'm beyond happy with it. Perhaps you could look into getting your stone replaced for starters, then working on finding something nicer or another ring to add to what you already have. Looking into it never hurts, and if you find it's still too expensive, then at least you tried.
@Porcospino (16437)
• Denmark
I want to keep my original ring the way it is. Some people buy two sets of rings: An engagement ring and a wedding ring. My husband and I decided to use the same rings instead of buying new rings when we were getting married, so we saved up some money and bought the wedding rings when we were getting engaged. We found a website where we were able to design our own rings and we spent a lot of time on finding the right rings. When we had designed the rings that we wanted, we printed the page and took it to the shop. We are both very happy which the result, and that is the reason why I don't want to change it at all.
@GreenMoo (11842)
My ring was cheap, and is now missing a couple of stones. We keep joking about replacing it, but I can´t honestly see us doing it any time soon as there´s always something more important to spend the money on. If I were given the money to buy a new ring tomorrow though I´d certainly do so. The current one is special, obviously. But it´s also just a piece of metal and the sentiment behind it won´t go away if I changed it.
@sacmom (14341)
rings - Solitaire and gold band.
Hiya kats. Nope, I have never upgraded my rings in all the time that I've been married. I'm happy with the ones that I have. They hold a lot of sentimental value to me, particularly my engagement ring as my husband and I used it to get married with instead of a traditional wedding ring. We got a plain band for it shortly after we were wed, so it looks like a set even though it really isn't. We did talk about getting a wrap for my solitaire beforehand, but decided to go with a band as I didn't want to be wearing something so fancy in the line of work I was in (I still wanted to be able to wear a ring, I just didn't want to be constantly worrying about it). Plus I like the simplicity of the two rings that I have. I think they compliment each other rather nicely, even if I do say so myself! LOL Happy mylotting!
I still have the original set that my hubby and I picked out before we were engaged. I've been wearing the engagement ring for the past seven and a half years and the wedding band part of it for almost the last six years. I really like this set, the engagement ring had a large center diamond and 10 smaller diamonds that were embedded into the band. The wedding band is a sort of wrap to go with the engagement ring, it has six small diamonds on it that surround the large center diamond. I love this set and can't imagine ever replacing it. However, I know that eventually I stand to inherit my grandmother and great-grandmother's diamonds and at that point I may decide to wear those instead.
@cupkitties (6690)
I'd keep the original for the sentimental value of course. I don't want to get rings if I remarry though because I absolutely hate wearing jewelry and rings especially I am always afraid of losing.
@daliaj (5689)
Our marriage was fixed on a hurry and we didn't get enough time to think and decide on the ring. My culture doesn't have an engagement ringh, but it has a wedding ring. My husband and I went for shopping and he got me the ring that I liked the most. It is not a very fancy ring. We have plans to upgrade it by a fancy platinun and diamond ring.
My wedding and engagement ring. - The engagement ring we picked out together, and the wedding bands (matching for Hubby and I) belonged to my grandparents who were married for 63 years.
No way would I upgrade!!! My engagement ring is one that Hubby and I picked out together, on bidz.com since we were on a budget and needed an inexpensive but nice ring, and it is very VERY nice!!! Our wedding rings match, and were my maternal grandparents rings, and they were married for 63 years!! They're nice, and very sentimental. We love them.