How do you temper chocolate?

I am curious about tempering chocolate, for I have been thinking of making some chocolate treats for my family. Yet I don't have much experience in the tempering of it. I have however watched the food network shows that always show how they temper chocolate. What I know so far is a person has to heat the chocolate to the right temperature, but beyond that I don't know much about tempering chocolate.
I don't think that my mother ever really tempers chocolate in the traditional sense, but she does make some wonderful chocolate treats for our friends and family at Christmas. She uses a double boiler and will melt the chocolate bark in that along with a piece of parafin wax. Then she mixes this all together. By doing this it allows the chocolate to set in a more uniform manner than it would if you didn't add the parafin wax.
@raineyes (561)
To be honest, I don't know much either, but I've seen my mother make chocolate, and she is an excellent cook. I believe she uses something called a double boiler, but I'm not sure as I am a terrible cook. Chocolate, however, is delicious, and I hope you find out how to successfully make it! Try looking up some recipes. They usually have instructions with them. It probably varies by the kind of chocolate you want to make.