U.S.Census Rant

Government Letter - Wasted paper and money from the US Government.
@webeishere (36377)
Okay this is a rant about the US Governments way of thinking. The US Census is to start very shortly. I've seen lots of commercials on TV, heard some on the air waves, seen billboards etc. So we all know the census is due soon. Now they send out a letter to each household to let us know the REAL thing will be here in a wekk? Well, this is a waste of tax payers dollar especially as we are trillions in debt. They send out a lteer to let us know another one will be here in a week? What's your take on Governments wasting tax payer dollars like this escpecially when it's so bad finacially for mostly all tax payers? As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@catdla1 (6005)
That's what happens when they start hiring people who were laid off from Publishers Clearing House. Just be thankful there are no stamps to lick...lol.
@webeishere (36377)
PCH/ Don't get me started on the thousands of entries I get via email for them. When will I win dang it. HAHAHAHA! As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@catdla1 (6005)
If we both win a trip to the Marlboro ranch, it would make a good story around the campfire. LOL
@webeishere (36377)
It would be nice to win that trip but...... I've entered for years and nothing yet other than minor prizes. Well, last year I did win a nice exspensive BBQ cooking tool set. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
I haven't gotten my lil notice like that yet. They did send out an informational sheet home w/ the kids from school telling us about the census comming up and it's importance. Dare I ask was that sent w/ another version in non-English? or on the back? The only thing I can say that is good about the notice is that it's a nice huge job for any junk mail printer and to help keep the post office running ya know ;0)
@webeishere (36377)
Look at the photo I attatched. It's in 5 other languages as well. Ugghhh! As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@webeishere (36377)
Never mind. I cut that part on when I snapped the pic. HAHAHA! As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@pyewacket (43961)
That's weird since I didn't get any kind of letter like that, but does sound typical of what a waste of money our govt spends when they could put that money to better use and it's not just on the federal level but state and/or local level---like last year here in NY they decided to change the name of the Triboro Bridge to the Robert F. Kennedy bridge...to do that they spent millions of dollars to change the signs while in the meantime due to "budget" cuts they decided to close down a lot of firehouses and homeless shelters--so I guess changing signs is more important, like duh?
@webeishere (36377)
you may get it Tuesday though. I am sure they sent one to every household. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@lilybug (21182)
I got one of those in the mail today. What a waste of money was the first thing I thought. I think it is pretty stupid of them to send out something like that.
@dragon54u (30570)
It makes me furious how much money they are wasting! All they would have to do is ask newspapers to do stories on it and the tv news stations, too. That's free! If we spent money like our government did, we'd all be broke and living in the streets.
@bunnybon7 (29685)
• Holiday, Florida
just goes to show we elect people that dont even have old fashioned "mother wit" or common sense. btw, have they finally stopped sending around people? after that one poor guy got murdered over it they should. just send a reply letter out to answer questions and return. why dont they just team up with the IRS and get the info from them? and social security. so many ways they could go to save money. they need training/schooling in thrift. should be required to read Ben Franklin articles
@webeishere (36377)
There is talk of combining tax time with the Census. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@max1950 (2313)
i'll give them what they want, except anything to do with how much $$ i have, bank acct's, or what i do with my money, thats why i file tax's every year and it's no ones business but the i.r.s.. i dont trust anyone with that info but the irs, and even they ask to many questions. and if they think their gonna get 45 % of my income i'll retire..the next day after they ask for it.i worked for it, no one else is entitled to it, ya want money, get a job, hey i had to flip burgers for awhile, and it;s better than sitting home doing nothing.
@webeishere (36377)
From the many wasted money spots I've seen and heard, this census is to be a simple, how many people live there type. No finacial questions or if you have running water and electricty. HAHAHA! As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@Thoroughrob (11771)
That is funny. You have the same reaction as I did when I opened that today. I cannot believe they sent us a letter to tell us another one is coming. Seems very silly to me.
@dawnald (84109)
• Shingle Springs, California
Waste of money...
@KrauseHome (31303)
Personally I think they should find better ways to spend some of this money as well. When there are so many of us struggling just to make ends meet and they keep on raising the Taxes and sending stuff like this, plus the commercials, etc. I feel this is a little too much.
@MsTickle (24754)
Do you know how important a census is? The numbers they gather go to all gov't departments for planning for the people. It's to make things better and to improve systems in place and to do away with outmoded or unnecessary things. It's huge and certainly not a waste of money. The reason they keep telling you about it is because many will say I knew nothing about it, it's to encourage people to think about it and help the government to collect the relevant information that keeps the country ticking over. I'm sure some could explain it better than I, suffice to say....it is necessary and important.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I too have heard tons on the radio and T.V. but haven't received anything in the mail as of yet. Our government spends entirely to much on unnecessary things. I see no point in sending a reminder later AHEAD of time, if you don't receive one back that's when there reminder should be sent out. I'm sure that after the census someone will be visiting hundreds of thousands of households who didn't bother to fill out there card and send it back. In those cases it's the very taxpayers wasting the money. Just my 2 cents worth.
@jennybianca (12918)
Well our countries must be in sync, as our census type thing has started too. I receive a letter today telling me I can ring a toll free number if I want to make an appointment to do the census over the phone. Or, I can wait for someone to visit my home who will make an appointment to come and do the census with me. How boring! I haven't decided whether to do it by phone or home visit. Guess it's essential though. Governments use the census & stats to see future needs and costs and to plan ahead. It is also very useful information for historians in 100 years time.
i was just thinking this today-my mom got a notice to let us know they're mailing them next week..so just mail them! i wonder how much is being wasted with the alerts of it.
@Celanith (2334)
Well they missed us last time as we were right in the midst of a move and they did not catch us at either place as both were empty houses we had our stuff stored for about 3 days and were not around. This time they will have fun trying to get all the info because things are constantly changing here weekly. We have sometimes 2, sometimes 9 and sometimes 13 living with us. One address has no actual house right now plus trying to get to where it is you gotta walk in a ways there is no road. As far as I am concerned the government is entirely too snoopy in people's lives.
@ANTIQUELADY (36492)
I think like the old saying 'they have more money than sense'.