Being Stalked Through Your Cellphone

Singapore
So, you've that piece of little wonder like everyone else that goes by with a name like - cellphone, mobile phone, hand phone or smartphone and be actually proud of owning it. But, do you know that it can also be your worst nightmare if you are negligent with your ways and usage. Well, let me just say that this is true and it nearly cost this lady - her life. For the past 3 years, this lady was actually stalked by her ex-boyfriend who had downloaded a spyware without her knowledge into her mobile phone. He would be literally calling and texting her after their breakup and despite changing her cellphone numbers for over more than 10 times. Finally, when she undertook a court order against him and had him jailed - trouble could have ended seemingly, but as it turned out, short lived - he appear outside her hotel room 10 minutes after he was released from prison. So, how could this have happened? Well, it is simple - that GPS application and function with which you have in your mobile phone is known to be the culprit for this problem. Once, you have a tracking software downloaded and installed into it - it will become a "bugging" or tracking device and believe me, you do not need a geeky spy or individual to do it. Once, it is installed into your phone the other party could literally know where you are, what was in your telephone conversations, what your text messages were, listen into your conversations even when you are not on the phone and worst remotely switch on your cellphone's camera and watch you. Believe me, this is no spy novel and let me assure you that if you are careless with your device - you will actually be living in this harrowing episode yourself. So, be very careful and discerning always and you will save yourself a load of trouble and if I may add - YOUR LIFE. Take care and have a nice day. Video Link http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/stalked-cell-phone-10040683
That is extremely scary, but there is nothing about it that doesn't seem realistic to me. I know that the power of having GPS could be a detriment and when I first started hearing about the OnStar that they were putting in cars, I wondered how many people would have been stalked because of that. Scary, scary stuff. There should be a way that this couldn't be done on someone's cell phone without them approving of it ahead of time.
dorannmwin, All it takes is to leave your cellphone unattended for another party to download the spyware and install it into your device. I suppose we just need to be wary and should you find yourself being stalked then you may find this helpful to recall. Have a nice day.
So what can be done to stop this once you realize your phone has been tampered with? Or your laptop?
@pandaeyes (2068)
That's interesting. I was watching a program yesterday called the gadget show and the presenters traced 2 the third using ,his cell phone which he had signed up to some tracking program on a different occasion his twitter tweets and his photos from his phone which he added on twitter. It was quite immediate as he had his phone signal broadcasting his location in real time. I think you do have to be careful about who it is you let have access to our telephone and also you laptop if you have one as I think similar things can be done with that.
pandaeyes, We should always be both careful and alert of our mobile devices especially our cellphones where so much changes have taken place in their technology. It is true that some of the innocent looking tracking software applications can work against us if it is being used and installed by the wrong hands. I just hope that people today will be more wary after this incident.
@pandaeyes (2068)
on my old phone there was a program so that you could pinpoint places you passed to send your phone a message. This old phone doesn't have GPS, it is based on where it is in conjunction with the phone mast and can detect areas of town . You go to the area and activate the program then add the building to the alarm list. Next time you pass the building ,the program can sound an alarm. So ,even 'that' is a tracking device if you use it in a different way. There are bluetooth programs to allow you to blue jack another persons phone too. It can send them a message bluetooth anonymously so it is worth making sure you hide bluetooth in your phone settings or just turn it off. Often they are used as prank programs but could be used fraudulently too.
@xenobane (205)
I have to say, that the lady should have seen it coming a lot earlier. Well she has been changing numbers for 10 times! The third time it failed she should start to see the problem is with her phone, not the number. How hard can it be for her to switch phones? If she still can't figure it out, she could just turn the old phone off while she is away, no tracking software can track an off phone, no data out means no data to follow. People should keep an eye on their phones/computers, if problem keeps showing up regardless of the number/password, it should ring an bell in the head, as is time to switch the hardware.
xenobane, I feel that there are some valid grounds here. For one she is not tech savvy and she is in a state of utter panic. It is also hard to switch as that would mean disrupting some signed up contract which will incur heavy fines and a big hole in her wallet. Let's just say that it isn't always so easy and straightforward.
@kaylachan (4778)
The local news mentioned something about this. not the particular case you're talking about, but the concept in general. Every so often they will mention something about mobile phones, from the latest text speak, to the latest applications that can be both good and bad for you. I'm just glad that my phone, like most, have the option to turn GPS off. And, due to memory restraints I delete my text messages often. As for the camera, if someone's stupid enough to try turning that on all they would see is the inside of the leather case I store it in.
kaylachan, Well, here's the thing - there are some apps that can actually remotely access your cellphone even when its GPS is switched off. So, I would say that we should ever be careful and never take things for granted. I am always advocating that we get to stay in the loop with these technology and see if there are any ways of preventing them from ruining our lives or equipment.
@1anurag1 (3581)
I think i agree with you. but some time there is a knowledge needed with the technological enhancement. or you can do the best thing be simple. when you are simple your results will be also simple. and when we talk about a simple phone there will not be any option of a software installation in that.
Hi anurag! I agree with skysuccess. The best thin that we could do is learn to adapt and embrace the new technology. We just have to be very careful, besides updated cell phones are also helpful these days in times of emergency. I have this very useful service from SafeKidZone. It's a mobile app that helps prevent danger and protect my kids. In just a press of the panic button on their cell phones they can notify their friends and family members and the nearest 911 if they are in danger. If you want to check this out, this is a safety solution for my kids http://safekidzone.com/
@bingskee (5238)
this is truly scary. any form of stalking is truly, truly scary. thank you for sharing this. i have again information that could be shared to my friends. it really pays to be wary and careful.