Yet another car

Well hubby bought a beautiful SUV last year and well he's finally realizing the payment is killing us. I'd hate to give up the SUV as there's nothing wrong with it but the payment & gas (wich is a big I told you so!). And really since I started working part time to help w/ the bills he jacked up our payment the amt I bring home a month.... so instead of getting ahead we are back where we were before I got my job! struggling! UG! So pray for me he doesn't wheel & deal @ the dealership & get us into bigger financial trouble.
@pandaeyes (2068)
That sounds very unfortunate. I would give up my job if it were me and lose the money leech rather than continue to pour my hard earned cash into it just because it is fancy. We had a car that was costing too much a while ago. It had broken down and we were paying for it on finance so although we couldn't even use it we had to keep paying the loan off. Eventually we sold it and paid back what was left of the loan as it was draining every penny we could make. It is surprising how much less beautiful it looked when it was taking more money than the mortgage payments.
That is true! He's such an impulse shopper when it comes to stuff he wants KWIM? He bought a Camero the other year and I told him not to because I couldn't drive it being stick & you certainly can't fit 3 car seats in one of those puppy's. But got it anyways then I got my job and decided to get something that I could drive & we could put the kids in! like DUH! I know I'd rather have the money to do other things with than a SUV that just sits in the drive way other than when he's @ work cause we can't afford to fill the tank.
@pandaeyes (2068)
Hmm maybe that is the way to persuade him to part with the car that is useless. You could say, you know,that holiday would be affordable if we sold that SUV,for some people it is only really doable if they can warrant the sacrifice because at the end of the day ,they gain something they want as more or just as much. I know it is tricky sometimes if you have a very determined hubby.
He's trying to trade it for something cheaper. Only problem is he's upside down and he can't get anything close to what he owes. Though one place was willing to put us into something more expensive to "eat" that BUT it would be a payment $70 more rather than something in the other direction & still an SUV. *sigh* Another place tried to put him in a beat up benzI told him to quit looking so he's annoying one more dealership before he gives up
L.O.L. My husband is making payments on a dodge ram and I hate it!!!! You can put 10 dollars of gas in it and go literally around the corner and the gas will be gone!!! I can't stand it! I guess it is a man thing!!I will pray for you I know how you feel!!
NO kidding he decided we couldn't afford the payment or the gas that goes in it. DUH! Yeah and gas prices are going up again & why I have no idea... I'm fearing going over $3 in summer. Then you can't even justify a day trip cause once you get there you can only afford the gas to get you back home and nothing more. But you know for a family bigger than 2 kids you can't squeeze 3 kids in car seats in something compact legally anyways. UG!
I know I feel the same way gas prices are so ridiculous!!! They go up and down but the down part is always never down enough!! Maybe one penny down and 5 cents up the next day!! I find myself getting so angry at those people that do that I guess the gas people dang do they not have anything better to do? I am driving to work and it is a certain price and on the way home it has yet gone up again, then the next day the same and it might be a penny or a few pennies higher or lower. What are they doing? Do they not knoe pennies are hard to come by these days for us? And I always wondered if the guy or girl that is working there as an attendant at the gas station get tired of having to go in and out every day to change the sign?
*LOL* well many places here can only change the price once a day legally. But yeah while the oil tycoons in the middle east & those here in the US who are heavily invested in these oil companies don't have a care in the world. While the rest of us have to wonder if we'll have to start walking somewhere to save a lil on gas or scrape the bottom of our purse for change so we can get to work. I was mentioning to someone that last winter we had gas as low as $1.69 I haven't seen it lower than $2.49/gal and that's not even for the summer blend wich is usually higher.
@dragon54u (31339)
I'm surprised he bought a car last year when things were really getting crappy. He should be putting your earnings in a savings account so that you have a financial cushion for emergencies, not making extra payments on the vehicle. If worse comes to worse, you can let them repossess the vehicle but if you have an urgent need for cash and it's not there, you're in big trouble.
What "extra" we can just make the regular payment. Sadly that emergency fund is dipping down and further down. Even if your vehicle gets reposessed or surrendered you are still liable for the money that you owed vs the money it's worth. *sigh* So that's no easy fix.
The best suggestion that I could give to you and your husband about the SUV is to try to sell it on the street for about what you still owe on it. It's far better to sell a vehicle on your own than to roll over the negative equity into a new car. When we bought our Civic seven years ago, we traded in my Neon and we were upside down on the Neon, so it made our payment on the Civic higher than it would have been without a trade-in. I didn't even think at that time to have tried to sell my Neon on the street, but that is what you hear the financial advisors recommending that people do.
that's what I told him to do! If he couldn't get any of the dealerships to budge to try to sell it for what he owed or close to it. I know he loves the strategy to get the right deal in his favor. *LOL* He did get them to knock him from being 5k upside down to 2k upside down. However I have yet to see the paperwork to know forsure
@laglen (19783)
lol dont let him go! Do it yourself. Obviously you have a better grasp of what you guys can and can not afford.
It won't matter. Cause he's Mr. Wheel'n & deal'n w/ the sales guys & finance people... I told him no on a truck that was burning oil on the test drive and he told me it's ok. Then a month or two later he traded it in... WELL can I say I TOLD HIM SO! Yeah we can't afford much of anything as long as I'm not working full time and we are in debt past our eyeballs!