Need help with file extension error on my computer

@jennybianca (12915)
Australia
A few weeks ago I noticed that I couldn't open video clips any more. Apparently there is a file extension error, or something like that. I downloaded this file repair program, but it turned out to be a paid one, which I don't want to pay for in case it's the wrong one. Would anyone know of a FREE program I can download that will fix it? Thanks Jenny
@Aaleexix (2291)
You can download vlc-0.8.6c-win32 ( VLC media player) from filehippo.com. Download the latest version. I think this will solve your issue.
@jennybianca (12915)
Fantastic. Thanks. I'm going to look for this now.
@Aaleexix (2291)
The latest version of VLC player can play almost all format video file.
@jennybianca (12915)
iT worked brilliantly. Thank you very much. I dont know why a few things have disappeared from my computer lately.
@timhinyy (1653)
you may want to run a full system scan first if you have virus software just to be sure that some other program didn't cause the error, but i would have to think if you go onto one of the search engines you should be able to find somewhere that there is one that is maybe a trial of something like that, since they have free anti-virus software there has to someone who has made one for file errors i just hope that it is any easy problem to fix.
@jennybianca (12915)
I have AVG 8, but think I should do the full scan like you said, as this is not the only weird problem I have had over the past few weeks. Response no. 2 gave me a download link which worked perfectly.
@timhinyy (1653)
i'm glad that you were able to get it fixed there is a lot of bad stuff going around i just had to do the full scan on mine, because of bad files on it so i guess I'm a little weary of that at this time.
@Vick77 (486)
• Mexico
Maybe you have a codec problem, some videos could not be played if you don't have the the right codec, I use GOM player for play all my video files and sometimes it indicates if there's no right codec for a video and even it give me the link to download it from internet. you could try to use GOM player it's freeware. Good luck...
@jennybianca (12915)
The response no. 2 gave me a download link which works well. Thanks for your ideas.
@kaylachan (4776)
What is the extion error message exactly? It could be you just have the wrong media player. Try vlc media player it rarely has errors. If not try looking at the properities of the program and seeing if perhaps maybe you can do something with it. quite often if you have one media player hell even movie maker you can use the 'open with' option to find something that can read the program properally.
@jennybianca (12915)
Number 2 response gave me a download link which work really well. Thanks for your ideas.
@user_786 (1338)
if you give the detail of the problem it will be helpful for the person who answers to understand the exact problem. there could be a virus that has caused this or it is possible that you have uninstalled a software that the file uses to open.
@jennybianca (12915)
I did try to give detail. What occured in the problem was not to my understanding. The response for number 2 solved my problem. Thanks for your advice.
@skysuccess (8882)
Jenny, I am sorry to hear this problem that you've encountered recently with your computer's media player. Let me suggest this software called VLC player - it is a highly rated media player that will play almost any media file thrown at it. It will also play all coded DVDs as well. So, do give it a try at www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html Out of concern, you may want to book mark one of my posts which I have started for computer owners which you will find quite a lot of applications useful. www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2266156.aspx?p=1 Have a nice day.
@jennybianca (12915)
The response no. 2 also gave me a link, same one I think, and I downloaded it & it worked perfectly. As you can see I have had a few computer problems over the past few weeks, when something unknown went wrong. I will definitely bookmark your link. Thank you very much.