We have had some real nice weather, now its garden time!

@free_man (7337)
My husband is a guy that loves to have a garden every year. Which is great. We have been in the upper 60's for a few days now and he has got plants started already for our garden. He takes an egg carton and puts good soil in them and starts his plants. This year I am starting some coffee beans and tobacco seeds. But neither of us has a clue as to what kinds of soil and stuff coffee beans needs. Do any of you know about what I need to do to grow good coffee? Have you got your plants started in the house for your garden? Or has the weather not been nice enough to start your garden yet?
@Thoroughrob (11771)
Here is what I found for the coffee. I have never tried it myself, but a friend did and this is what info she had. She did not have alot of luck with it. 1. Procure your "seeds" from a green coffee supplier. Make sure the product has been both recently harvested and shipped to ensure successful growing. It is best to use full coffee cherries but if you do not live in an area that commonly grows coffee plants, this may not be possible. 2. Step 2 Pre-germinate the seeds by soaking them in water for 24 hours. 3. Step 3 Sow the seeds. First, moisten the sand or vermiculite (drain off excess water). Alternately, place seeds in the middle of two dampened coffee sacks. Water the sacks twice daily and allow them to drain. 4. Step 4 Remove coffee seeds from pre-germination substrate once they have germinated. It generally takes between 12 to 24 hours before you find a very small white bump on the end of the seed (now an embryo). 5. Step 5 Plant your embryos in vermiculite. Use a pot that is 1 ½ to 2 ½ inches deep. Terra cotta pots work well. The root will develop very deeply. Water the plants well. Make a cover for the plants using plastic wrap or commercial plant tents. 6. Step 6 Avoid over watering but make sure to keep the plant embryos moist during the next 60 days, or more. You can add a thin layer of well-mulched grass over the soil to help preserve moisture. This is a critical time period when too much water or too little moisture can kill the embryos, so check the soil often. 7. Step 7 Remove sprouts carefully from the substrate (you will generally begin to see sprouts after two months) and transfer them to an acidic soil with a high nitrogen concentration. Make sure the soil is porous by adding in some sand or gravel dust. 8. Step 8 Fertilize with manure or an orchid fertilizer to help maintain acidity (low pH) and sustain mineral levels. 9. Step 9 Maintain moist conditions and use artificial indoor plant lighting to help growth. After about four months you should start seeing leaves on your plant. 10. Step 10 Re-pot your plants as they grow too large for their containers. Maintain watering and fertilizing to keep your plants healthy and growing. Be patient; it generally takes a few yeas before your plants will produce fruit. Tips & Warnings Consider purchasing 3- or 4-year-old coffee plants from a nursery if you want to enjoy the harvest without waiting years for seedlings to grow.
@free_man (7337)
Thanks Throughrob. Was wanting to put them in the ground to grow. Can that be done? Or will they freeze in the winter months? Thanks for your help.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
She tried hers in the house, I am not sure.
@free_man (7337)
How big did they get do you know? I would like to plant them in our small orchid we have some fruit trees out there and would be a nice spot.
@zed_k4 (17634)
Awesome..gardening time has started for you. The weather has been pretty alright lately here too.. it was hot a few weeks before, but recently, there has been a pretty cool weather.. Good luck with your gardening.
@free_man (7337)
Hi Zed. We have only been able to put out our seeds for the flowers but got seeds started in the house. Hopefully it won't be much longer. The peppers and tomatoes are getting big for the egg cartons we have started them in. It has been cool for a couple of days but Monday it is going to be in the 60's so maybe we can get the garden tilled and ready. Have to wait for the last frost warning before we can put anything in the ground. Thanks.
@zed_k4 (17634)
That's a pretty tedious process, but I think with practice especially for someone like me, after some time I'll fine it enjoyable. So you have to wait for the last frost warning before putting anything in the ground. Is it going to be a long wait or what..? Good luck with that, and you are very welcome.
@free_man (7337)
Hi Zed no it won't be long now the days are getting warmer. Got the garden tilled yesterday so in a week or so we can start to plant. Thanks.
Hi glad to know you have nice weather now, well my wife loves gardening, we had one, but when i reconstructed our home, that space is gone, on the roof of the house we have filled up some space with earth, we just grow some tomato and flowers No idea about coffee, i think my climate is not suitable. Happy posting, cheers. Bhuwan
@free_man (7337)
Hi Professor. That is great to have garden space on your roof what a great thing to have some fresh flowers and vegetables. Oh well Throughrob gave me the things I needed to plant my coffee beans maybe we will have real coffee grown by us. Thanks.
@tobsss (2)
please dont let it get cold again!
@free_man (7337)
Hi Tobsss and welcome to my lot. It got chilly for the last couple of days but it is going back up to 60 tomorrow. Thank God. Have been going in and out of the house to get our flowers in but too early for the garden. Have to wait till we know it won't frost anymore to put the garden in.
@LaurenInLA (2272)
Sorry, don't know anything about growing coffee beans. I just bought almost 20 flats of pansies and snapdragons and replanted my yard. I usually buy sets of tomatoes etc but we just got an offer on our house so I don't think that we'll have a garden this year. I'm hoping that I'll get transplanted in time to have a container garden.
@free_man (7337)
Hi LaurenInLA.I love snapdragons. Will be glad when the weather stays warm so we can get our garden in. Hope you get stuff transplanted in time too. Hope you get what you want out of your home.
@phyrre (2324)
I would absolutely love to have a garden! Of course, that being said, I need a house first. xD We were looking at buying a double wide we've been renting, but today we found a really nice fixer-upper that needs some work, but is more what we were looking for. The best thing is that the double wide would need a raised garden and would only really work for flowers because it's built on rock, but I can have a vegetable garden at this new house, which is what I've always wanted! I'm hoping to get that house this year because if I do then we'll start planting some things and make a garden this year, though it'll probably only be flowers to make the house look a little better. :)
@free_man (7337)
Hi Phyrre. I hope and pray you get the home your dreaming of. It is so nice to have a garden and a yard of your own. You can plant vegetables in doors and in pots like flowers on some things. I know this lady that has tomato plants in large tubs. She has grown cucumbers like this too. We planted them for her and she always has a good crop. Good luck on your new home. At least you doing your own work on this home at least you know what you got into it.