Moms . . . do you stay up late to get things done - or are you dead tired?

Countless times I've said I was going to stay up late to get some things done around here . . . but by the time I put my kids down to sleep, I'm ready to hit the bed myself . . . and I do! And I know by now that if I stay up late, I'm going to pay for it the next day . . . maybe not in the morning, but definitely by late afternoon. I've always been the type to say I'd get more things done if I didn't have to sleep. But boy do I appreciate my precious sleep these days! This place might be a complete mess - but oh well - maybe I'll get to it next year - hee hee. So are you a mom with enough energy to keep on going after all the kids are asleep? Or are you a zombie by then like I am?
@ada8may21 (2419)
Being a single mother I almost do all the things in our house. Since my parents are old and could not do so much work for my kids. One time when I am singing a lullaby to my son, I also felt asleep and I didn't notice that I left the dinning messy. Good thing there is an angel wake me up at 1:00 am. When I get up I realize what I have done. I start cleaning the dinning room and doing the preparation for breakfast so that its easy to just reheat it.
I think single parents are amazing - I don't know how they do it! I know I rely on my husband a lot. There are dozens of times I've dozed off reading a book to my oldest child . . . and lately I've been dosing off nursing my baby (although we are on the bed in a safe place). We live in a small place, so I can't make to much noise, even in the kitchen, so it's really hard for me to do too many house chores when everyone is sleeping (I can go on the computer though - hee hee). Anyway, I applaud single parents for doing all that they do!
@ada8may21 (2419)
I also wonder how would life be easy if you have someone you can share your workloads. But me I need to live my life being me and my son. So I am a mother and a father to him. Others would call superwoman, but thats just simply me and other single parents out there. We just do things that we need to do, I dont know how I manage working while having taking care of my son. Sometimes I could say can I have 2 bodies to take of this one and the other one? Its not possible I know but I was just thinking though...
I guess we all make do with what we have and what situations we are in. I always ask mothers of twins or triplets how in the world they do it . . . and they say they just "do it" - they make it work simply because that's the way it is. Yes, I think you are superwoman too . . . a great multi-tasker for sure! Keep up the good work, mom!!
@harmonee (1236)
I'm pretty tired by the time my son goes to sleep, especially on days when I work, but I still try to pick up the house a little or get things ready for the next day before I go to bed. I know I would rather stay up a little later than get up early in the morning to get it done.
@harmonee (1236)
I totally understand. I usually try to get the morning stuff ready the night before (diaper bag packed and in the car, purse by the door, clothes picked out, etc..) Just so when that morning craziness hits, I at least am ahead of the game. It seems that I am more tired now than when my son was a newborn. Weird! Good luck to you!
Being ahead of the game . . . yep, it always seem like we're trying to do that, eh? You know, it seems like just when things get easier, certain other things get harder as the kids get older . . . and then they become teenagers and apparently that's a whole 'nother thing - hee hee!! Good luck to you too!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
The twins stay up until 9 and Dearra until 9:30 or 10, so that's not much time to stay up. And no, I don't (except for Christmas). I need my sleep!
But weren't you up for the Olympics too? Hee hee. Well, better being up for something like the Olympics than to be doing the floors or whatever at wee hours of the night! I am however risking it and staying up a bit tonight . .. ohhh how I know I'm going to pay for it tomorrow!!! Goodnight!
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
Olympics is an obsession. Cleaning floors is not an obsession.
I so agree with you, dawnald!!
I work when my kids nap and then because I am naturally a night owl, I try to tackle a task or 2 a night, like picking up my family room and a load of dishes, or clean the bathroom and get a load of laundry down.
@ada8may21 (2419)
I also do the same thing, while my son is asleep I am doing things that I need to do. Doing the laundry, washing the dishes, cleaning the house and arranging all the things. Then after that, preparing dinner while taking care of the kids. Once the kid is sleep again thats the time we could do all the things we need to do.
@ada8may21 (2419)
I understand why your energy is like that during the night time. Its not easy to take care 1 kid how much more 2. Well just keep up the good work and you will be rewarded soon for taking good care of them.
@nonersays (2699)
I work a full time job, and I stay exhausted. I'll often get up with my (4 month old) son at 7am, fix a meal, entertain him until 1:30pm, go to work until 10pm, come home, get him to sleep, then start house work around 11pm. I might get in bed around 12 or 1. On my days off work is when I get things done that I cant do in the small hours of the night without waking the baby. Things like doing laundry, vacuuming, washing the dogs etc. I'm a walking zombie most of the time.
Wow - you are wonder woman to be able to be up all those house! How do you do it? And do you drink coffee? Hee hee. Kudos to you for being able to be a mom on top of working a full time job - goodness! I hope you get to sneak in a nap at work - hee hee!! Don't work too hard and get in some more sleep if you can!!
@nonersays (2699)
Sadly the kind of work I do doesn't give me time for a nap. I hardly even get time for a lunch, most less a nap. -grin- I drink several cups of coffee a day. I could always use more though.
@crys7881 (267)
I am the type of mom who will stay up late to have some "me time" and get things done as well, but like you said I am always feeling exhausted!!! So for the most part I live on caffeine!! Red Bulls are my Best Friend!!! But right now I'm pregnant so I'm just winging it on my own and not drinking too much caffeine, one soda a week maybe, which is a huge cut-back for me. But I think our kids are happier when Mommy is happy so I say if you need the sleep go to sleep and your house can be super clean and organized after your kids are grown and out of the house!! We need to enjoy our time with them!!
I used to have that late night "me time" when I just had one . . . but with a baby now, it's just too hard (and exhausting!) - so yep, I need my sleep! I haven't tried Red Bull yet . . . I know it's a super caffeine drink - and definitely I won't be drinking it anytime soon as I am still nursing (the baby sure doesn't need it - ha ha). Yes, a happier mom is always in order . . . so we just do what we can and go with it. I guess I have a decade and a half to go (or so) before I get that super clean place - ha ha!!! Enjoy your preggo time!!!
I am defintely the mother that stays up late at night in order to get things done around the house. All throughout the day, I am go, go, go with the children and I am never able to get anything done at the house during the day. Some days I am even lucky to be able to get dinner on the table when I have my nieces during the day. So, I stay up late to make sure that the floor is vaccummed and I also try to get the carpet shampooed at least once a month as well. I feel like I never stop sometimes.
You go girl - hee hee!! I know what you mean about dinner . . . it's like I gotta get a head start on it in the afternoon or I won't get it out in time (or at all)! I'll bet it helps that your kids are "older" now . . . I am hoping that that will happen to me when the baby is a bit older and is more independent. I need to wipe the dust off our vacuum - hee hee!
@Sreekala (22720)
Hi, I am mother of two and I am sleeping late but my kids are sleeping only when both of us are in bed. If I am doing something in kitchen after sending them to sleep they keep on peep up what I am doing. Both kids have the habit of sleeping late and they love to sleep more time in morning. Now I don’t think to do my work after sending them to bed. I will finish my work at the earliest so that they too sleep with me. Once all the lights turn off then they can sleep peacefully.
Are you able to sneak out in the early morning so you can get some things done? I like to do that (instead of staying up late), that way I'll have recharged with the sleep that I did get in. Early mornings are best for me when it comes to chores . . . but even so it's hard. How nice you have snuggle time with your kids at night!
@ibuemma (2954)
A few times I fell asleep after I tuck my kids in bed. It depend on how tired I am. Usually around holiday time i get extremely tired. As soon as i smell my pillow i won't get up until morning. So, i might have enough energy to do couple chores, but hey it's nice to be a zombie too. LOL
Oh yes, that's totally me. As soon as the kids are down, I am down soon after! I wish I could say I don't get up til morning, but sometimes my older one will wake up for some reason or another . . . and then we have the baby too. Yah, a couple chores is probably the maximum - and it's probably not major ones . . . when this zombie needs to sleep, she will sleep - hee hee!
@jugsjugs (13045)
I have children that have problems with sleeping as in they do not go to sleep until late,so i try to do as much as i can of an evening aswell as the things that i want to do aswell.I would love to go to bed early,but i have found that when i go to bed early i can not get off to sleep as i am soo used to being awake until at least 2am.I have 6 children and one of them has adhd so i try to do the clearing of all the rubbish during the day aswell as all the washing while they are in school and then i try to fit in things like the internet where i can earn a bit of pocket money and maybe a bit of card making aswell.I like to think that when people come to see me they come to see me not the state of the house.
Wow, jugsjugs . . . are you always up until 2am?? With 6 kids, I can only imagine . . . and here I am thinking that 2 is a big juggle! So kudos to you! Yah, I try to get things done during the day, but even that isn't enough to get this place in decent order. Yah, I have to tell people to please excuse the mess when them come visit - hee hee!
I believe moms need to have all the sleep possible. I was one whow slept my tail off. When karisma was little I would clean while she was in her high chair and wash the clothes as well. I would most likely sleep when she was sleeping. Moms need sleep in order to be able to care for the kids.
I was never able to nap when my first one napped . . . that's when I did all the cleaning and such. And now with 2 kids, it's just not possible to nap! You're right though, moms should get as much sleep as they can (yah, so why am I up right now, right? Hee hee). Going to bed soon - Karisma is such a cute name for your daughter!