Where does the real Truth lie?

@barehugs (8986)
Is it with Faith and Religion, or with Facts and Evidential Beliefs? Many people depend on their faith to keep their religious views strong. They seem to need nothing more than this. On the other hand there are those who scoff at religious values, and depend on scientific facts, and a strong belief in factual evidence, other than the Bible. Where do you stand in this debate? Are you lead by Blind Faith alone, or do you require some Evidential Proof?
@Pose123 (21667)
Hi barehugs, I am spiritual and not big on organized religion, though some are better than others. I don't believe in indoctrinating children but this is what religion insists on doing because it's when they are most susceptible to suggestion.I think that everyone should seek the truth for themselves when they are adults. I don't need the Bible or any holy book to convince me that we are spiritual beings but everyone must choose for themselves. Blind faith makes little sense when there are so many different groups all claiming to be right. I think that there is a knowing or a memory within each of us if we but search for it. There are of course those who have buried it so deep n their subconscious that it is unlikely to surface very quickly. There is without doubt much that we do not know, perhaps would not be able to comprehend here. Blessings.
@barehugs (8986)
Perhaps some Religions are better than others, and I'm so glad I don't have to choose. A Yogi develops an inner awareness that points to Spirit, rather than Religion. That being said, I think its wonderful that Everyone feels they are on the right Path to God! Of course, I believe with all my Heart, that they are!
I am not led by blind faith, yet I don’t question the existence of God either just coz science has not been able to prove it. I am not religious by nature i.e. I don’t show off my faith by worship, visit to temples, rites and rituals, following scriptures etc . however, I have a deep faith in God…I’ve never been able to question His very existence or to deny it either. Maybe this faith is my strength in my struggles, maybe it helps me feel better to believe that someone somewhere is taking care of me…that I’m not alone, I’m not lost... and that for me is the ultimate truth.
@barehugs (8986)
"God so loved the world that He put the earth just right from the sun!" (Michio Kaku in his book,"Parallel Worlds.") Many non-Christians have a deep faith in God, and these people never tire of searching for the truth. Many like you have found the "ultimate truth!"
@bird123 (10486)
I can never go on just beliefs. A belief just points the way to search for the facts.Most all scientific discoveries started with a belief.All the secrets of the universe do not come to you. You go to them. Never worry about scientists. If they end up wrong, they correct.It's the closed minded people who are so sure they are right who can never see the real truth.Scientists are walking toward God whether they realize it or not.The burden of proof belongs to the one who searches for the truth.I have my proof of God. If you do not, I hope that just means you still search. Never rely on just faith or beliefs. God does want that. You shouldn't either.
@barehugs (8986)
Yes I agree with you. When science is wrong it gets corrected,because scientists are continually searching for the truth, but if, and when Religion is wrong, blind faith steps up to the plate, and it gets included in the Theosophy. Christians are not noted truth searchers. Perhaps this is why Faith is so important to the Christian!
@blummus (452)
I require evidence that those things reported of a god or gods is true, and not simply the product of someone having faith itself. Faith in and of itself, no matter where that faith is directed, can have amazing results. I'm still waiting to see the solid evidence; thus, I am an agnostic.
@barehugs (8986)
The evidence of a God is not difficult to comprehend, but religion is harder to Justify. Religion comes from a Book, translated over 700 times by men who couldn't agree on the meaning of the words, to say nothing of the content!
@blummus (452)
And in that you only mention one religion in particular. There are others, and so the controversies multiply. Still, if you can separate God and Religion, would you kindly share your evidence for God?
@barehugs (8986)
God had nothing to do with Religion. Religion came later with the Christian movement. The apostles of Christ invented the Christian Church to bring isolated people together. Tithing was introduced, money began to be collected, and the Great Religious Scam ( which has lasted almost 2 centuries) was born. On the other hand, God has made no directives about collecting money for his Adoration or Worship. His people have never been asked to collect money for any purpose. Only Organized Religions,( one of which is the Christian Church) wants and needs to collect Money for their nefarious purpose. Nobody alive today can even estimate the immense value of the stolen artifacts (collected during the holy wars and crusades of the middle ages,) which are now hidden in the vaults of the Vatican.
@CJscott (4184)
It is always with faith. Do you have Faith that gravity will hold you down? Or Evidential belief? Well you have never floated away, to me that just builds my faith. For another that builds their faith on their evidential belief. So whether it is Faith in God, or Faith in Science....It is always faith. Just my opinion mind. I consider faith to be evidence of things unseen. It is where we place our faith that starts the biggest debates. I honor and appreciate you.
@barehugs (8986)
I had Faith that gravity would hold me down until I first dreamed of levitation. Somehow floating over the tree tops ruined any faith I had in the force of Gravity. "What goes up, must come down," was a truism until man learned different on his way to the moon! To have much Faith, in Faith, I need to be able to put my finger on it! Oh ye of Little faith! - Is a rebuke leveled at the disciples of Christ, when seeming to doubt his divinity. The phrase is also more widely used to describe any Christian doubter. In a secular setting it may be intended as a humorous jibe when doubting someone's abilities.
@CJscott (4184)
So now you have Faith that Gravity can be over come. I like that Oh ye of little faith...from when he was on the boat and a storm came, and they woke him up, and calmed the storm. There are other instance of course, but I like this one, and one from Luke...In my mind it was, Why did you bother to wake me up, when you could have calmed the tempest yourselves, by asking God with faith. Or even better in Matthew when he says straight out. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. So, in this instance it is say by having Faith In God, ALL things are possible. As for your Secular setting, that is challenging the faith of ones peers of oneself. So, in my mind regardless of how you look at it, it all comes back to faith. Faith in ourselves, faith in God, Faith in Levitation, Faith in what we can achieve, faith in others. Always faith, its where you put your faith that causes the debate. To have faith in faith is something I will have to work on, faith is an action word. Similar to believe, if you believe in someone or something, you have faith in that thing or person. Those are intertwined idealisms. Thanks for your time, I appreciate you.
@CJscott (4184)
I think with all of this I failed to answer the main post topic question. Where does the real truth lie? It lies in faith, not religion, evidential believe, not in science. It relies in the faith we put in our selves, to learn and grow and become closer to God. It lies where our spirit guides us on our journey to live eternal, in the presence of God Almighty. God Bless.
@urbandekay (18312)
You present a false dichotomy, the matter is not as simple as you make it seem. Firstly all facts are beliefs, albeit well founded ones. It used to be a fact that the angles of any triangle added together gave 180 degrees but it is now known that that is only true in Euclidean space and space is only approximately Euclidean on a very small scale, of say a few billion miles. Thus there are naive believers in both camps and you, my friend, are perhaps an example of a naive believer in that which you call evidential proof. But what constitutes such evidence? What evidence do you have that you are conscious? Strictly speaking none except your own subjective experience and you don't even have that to justify your belief that anyone else is conscious. Yet only a mad-man would seek to deny that we are conscious. There are other examples that might be given for things we accept with only subjective experience yet only a fool would deny. The same is true of religion. And with that your argument collapses all the best urban
@barehugs (8986)
All things are relevant! Up and down, in and out, here and there, It all depends on where you stand! If you are Religious, God Bless you! Perhaps you are destined to be a Mother Theresa in your next life. Far be it from me to denigrate such a righteous Soul! Those who put their faith in religion, fail to realize they are at the mercy of their Pastors and Priests. They have very little say in their Spiritual lives, because the Church has the last laugh.
@urbandekay (18312)
Those who naively put their faith in science are at the mercy of politicians who certainly have the first and last laugh. Not all things are relative, that is an unsupportable claim all the best urban
to make a good movie ... that is enjoyed by everyone so many people are involved from the actors, musician, director, financer, story writer and even the caterer and cleaners and to make those lousy movies that everyone curse ... also takes so many people .. what makes the good movie good and a bad movie lousy ... depends on the individual criticsm ... you may like a movie but it never was recommended for awards .. the truth lies within ourself and ourself only ...
@barehugs (8986)
Each person makes their own movie! Some like the ease and the confidence given by the church (in return for money) while others are willing to believe only the facts as they see them. They are the thinkers and doers with no blind faith. Which movie do you think wins the Oscar?
just because someone spent hundreds and thousands does not make a movie good ~ i just got an opportunity to watch 'marley and me' ~ year 2008, jennifer anniston and owen wilson comparing it with the recent most talked about 'avatar' , that Marley made me cry .. Most people i know have seen avatar and claimed it was a superb movie ~ but what happen to 'marley' the cute unrully dog ... each one of us must think on our own and not just say something is good because 'he' said or 'she' said or because it won multiple awards ... being human we are given brains to think on our own ... we have been introduced to so many religion as well as science .. we have to study all of them and make our own conclusion of God not follow one without raising any question ... just because 'just'
@savypat (20246)
I believe that science is coming closer and closer to the true source of all. I cannot believe that there is some super intelligent being who is directing each of our lives. When you think of all the suffering that goes on in the world what kind of being would force their creations to endure all of this. But if we are a creation that is slowly growing toward a super spiritual being, then you can understand from our own point of view what is going on. If you have ever grown a garden you know that most of what grows there are weeds but if properly tended the few flowers that survive are worth the efforts to grow them. Now of course if you are one of the weeds you will not understand this and your existance will be painful at least.
@barehugs (8986)
I believe with all my heart that we need to get away from religion,(read today's paper)and get back to God. Life must have been so straight forward before Purgatory, Jesus Christ, and a Hell, complete with a Devil to feed the flames, etc. God and I have a continuing conversation, and its so much more fun that trying to converse with a member of the Church Board! Yes God is in my flower garden too! Oh! What fun we have weeding out the Non-Believers!
@gewcew23 (8011)
I would be the one that fall into the evidential proof camp.
@barehugs (8986)
Thanks for your testimony! Takes all kinds to make a world!
@savypat (20246)
One must just never forget where the flowers came from, before tending and grooming them they too were weeds.