Pity party people

@teamrose (1499)
It drives me nuts when people live their lives feeling pity for themselves. These are people who have some pretty big problems but they just won't realize that they're alive, they can still hug their kids, they get to see flowers and taste good wine. What they will NEVER realize is that you will never, ever get better while sitting in your house feeling sorry for yourself. It's getting up and out that heals. Watching TV doesn't. You need to associate with more than other people in similar situations - it's the blind leading the blind. okay, done ranting. I bet you know people like this.
@hofferp (4739)
I've met people like this, but I don't hang with people like this, because they drag you down. I prefer to be around people who like to live/enjoy life.
@teamrose (1499)
You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your relatives. Sometimes you are stuck with the people around you.
@hofferp (4739)
That's so true. Fortunately, my family members are positive thinkers too. I take it you've tried to get them out of the house to a ballgame, a movie, a concert, etc.?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Some people are suffering from clinical depression though and literally CAN'T get up and go out and smell the flowers or whatever. Fortunately, I can, and it makes all the difference...
@teamrose (1499)
I think clinical depression is because we have too much. If people had to leave the house to get goods and services life would be a lot different for them. With the internet and the telephone a person can literally become a hermit. Just not healthy.
@jesssp (2742)
I definitely know people like this. I understand that sometimes there are different reasons for people to feel and behave that way but I do believe a lot of the time it's totally within their control. A lot of the pity party throwers are also the people who love to place blame on others and never want to take responsibility for their own lives and situations. Their issues and problems are so often totally self created but because they refuse to admit that they never learn from their mistakes or get anything out of them other than self pity. I just plain cannot be around people like that.
@dragon54u (31617)
I totally agree with you but sometimes it's therapeutic to have a little pity party. No more than a couple of hours, but wallowing in your misery can be good for the soul if you do it rarely. There will always be someone in worse shape, and we must be grateful for the fact that we rarely hit rock bottom--there's always someone there to help us up when we stumble or fall, a friend or family member or God.
@soulburn (414)
I am part of these people...Sometimes I find a way,sometimes I don't.Still this was very motivational.Thank you.
@umit_umit (1986)
true,dear sweet friend,,very true
@laglen (19782)
Yes I do and a very timely discussion. You hit the nail on the head when you said enjoy what you have and stop focusing on what you dont have! Great advice! I also believe that if you are a Christian, praying everyday and keeping Him in your life helps ALOT!
@LadyBoss (253)
Yes, I believe what you are saying is so true. There are so many things out there in life. There is no really point to be sad and moping all the time. There are always a new day to make changes and do something new. Thank you for this posting it was inspiring to me :)
hi teamrose yes I do and she likes me so I get an earful of how awful it is here, how much each meal is just awful, and on and on, so I do try to bring back some optimism. I will say yes that stuff was not very good, but boy that beef stew was delicious, and how about the eggplant parmesan, that was done just right, don't you think? She will actually'agree with me as she wants to be friends. I need friends so I try to sway her away from feeling sorry for herself, I bring some positive thoughts out instead. I owe this to my deceased hubby. He was a real cockeyed optimist and often brought me out of the doldrums. He would not let me have a pityparty as he reminded me you are alive, you have two gorgeous little kids, you have my love, so laugh, things will be better, wait and see.almost always they were too. He never let me sit around feeling sorry for him. and he was right. sitting around watching dumb television just makes you fat and who need that.