Thank You, Cards, and Other Forms of Gratitude.

@sulynsi (2815)
A friend gave us a car. Older, well used, but in very good condition for its age and mileage. It was very kind and I am grateful. Our old beater was on its last tires Hubby is a very demonstrative person. He thanked and fussed and made a big deal of his appreciation. I smiled and gave a warm hug. Hubby thinks I don't want the gift!! I am going to send a card, but I know I would be embarassed if I gave someone a gift and they gushed and fussed over me. I can tell a sincere thanks when I see it. It is enough for me. I get great pleasure knowing it is needed and will be used. What about you? How do you show gratitude? Do you feel you can't say "thank you" enough, or are your feelings more subdued? Does the fact you are more or less demonstrative make you think a person likes or doesn't like the offering?
@Wizzywig (7860)
I think it depends on what it is; who gave it & why; whether I actually like it.... In that situation, I would probably have done a big handshake/hug & said something along the lines of "Thank you so much. Its really good of you to do that & I really appreciate it". Then i'd maybe send a card or make a cake... or, perhaps buy a small car-related gift for them. My dad was always very demonstrative and grateful for the smallest gift but,my mum, whilst being equally grateful would probably just say "Oh, thats nice. Thank you". I hate to see forced, fake gratitude... thats worse than no gratitude at all.
@sulynsi (2815)
This gift was particularly timely. We both need a vehicle. Me, because we live so far from my workplace and my husband because he uses it to make a living. THe vehicle he was using was really getting old and wouldn't have passed the next inspection. Financially, though, it was going to be a hardship. So, I am extremely glad our friend was so kind. I think too, that hubbs's effusiveness has an effect on me. Like I have to act as a balancing influence.
@Wizzywig (7860)
Thank you for giving me BR on yout thank you discussion
@sulynsi (2815)
Thank yous, cards, best responses, and all other forms of gratitude!
@jesssp (2743)
When I give someone something or do something for them I don't do it to get something in return so it makes me feel a little weird to get too much thanks as well. I do make a point of thanking people for something they've done for me but I keep it simple. A verbal thanks, maybe a card if the situation warrants it, and maybe doing something simple like taking them out for dinner. After the 'thanking' is over then I consider myself done!
@sulynsi (2815)
I think most people would feel uncomfortable if the thanking turns to grovelling. I know I would!! A card is definitely a nice, demure appropriate way to show appreciation. thanks for stopping by, jessp
Its an old custom to give cards to our friends and relatives for any party they celebrate. It really gives them pleasure and they will cherish it till their end.
@paula27661 (15900)
I am not an overly demonstrative person and if someone has been kind to me I do like to show my appreciation but I don’t think I go over the top giving thanks. I do make sure I send a thank you like you are doing. I think it depends on the person who did the giving and what the gift was! Being the writer that I am I would rather express my gratitude with a note describing exactly how I feel about the kind gesture and that is usually enough.