Do you think about how healthy is the food you eat?

Chile
I just gave in and ate a huge amount of something I shouldn´t have. My shoulder therapist is a 27 year old girl, as sweet as the make them, except when she is pulling my shoulder. She said that she would come to my house and make me do the exercises on Saturday and Sunday. I don´t think that that is usual in any part of the world. So while we were talking (and I was trying to forget pain) I came to know that the thing she liked best was churros. So I invited her to homemade churros after the torture. She came today and I was starting to prepare them at the kitchen when she told me (she IS an angel!) that she could take me to the super too. I said yes immediatly as I was lacking a lot of important foods and I don´t want to drive yet, even if it´s for a few blocks. As I was at the supermatket, I bought a big amount of chocolate and orange icecream too. We had lots of churros and big scoops of icecream. It wont hurt her, as she is slim. But I´d be happy if I lost 16 pounds. NOW I am feeling guilty. But when I was eating it, I lied to myself saying that I was just being nice to the darling therapist I sent the rest of the churros to her mother. But I have a lot of icecream left in my freezer. LOL!!! Do you ofter fool yourself as I did today? Or you are really rational and always eat what you should? I cannot.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
tELL ME WHAT 'CHURROS' ARE, PLEASE. That is very good of her to come on the weekends. U are right not too many people will do that sort of thing anymore. I'm sure u have been so nice to her & i bet alot of people aren't.I do eat things i know i shouldn't but i have started this weekend trying to do better. This diabetes scare has me thinking plus i need to lose weight anyway. Wish me & my will power good luck, we'll need it,lol.
Hi Jo, Im copying an explanation of churros I put at another comment. Actually it comes from Spain. It´s what I would call "cooked dough". Just flour and hot salted water. There´s a gadget to make then in long thick threads and you deep fry them. Cane sugar on top. They are wonderful but now my tummy hurts as I´m not accostumed to eat too many fried things. And deep frying is the way to keep all the oil inside although I use several layers of papel towel to dry them out. So churros are not for us, it seems. There are lots of foods I ate when I was young and now I can´t do it. We should lose some weight. Besides being good for our body pains, it will help us be more healthy too. There are a lot of nice things to eat that will help us lose weight. But, of course, we must stay away from delicious fried stuff.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
eVERYONE DESERVES A SPURGE EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE IN THEIR DIET. mY PROBLEM I HAVE SPLURGING ALL THE TIME SO IT SEEMS FROM THE LOOK OF ME, LOL.
We will have to learn to splurge on healthy food, Jo.
• Boston, Massachusetts
nowadays food is not that healthy as it is supposed to be. even vegetables and fruits have fertilizers on. if we will choose the organic ones it is very expensive and will really make a great twist in the budget. so, we just have to be wise in shoosing the right and healthy food for us...
I think that fertilisers and toxic bug killers are ther only reason I´m taking pains at having a small vegetable garden at home. It didn´t work much this year, but I think next year it will be better.
• Boston, Massachusetts
that small garden in your home will really be helpful. we too have at home. those leafy vegetables are easy to grow. go for it and have some more to grow in your yard!
@nangisha (3504)
Well you are not alone! I do exactly the same when I have guest at home, especially when they stay more than a day, I have tons of chips ( salty and sweet) and chocolate. In others word every time we have guest I always gain extra weight in my belly, sometimes I really want to eat very healthy meal but I am a big family there always family and friend who come bye and bring that brownies, and every time I can not say no to a slice of it and end up eating 4 slices.
It is bad when we have no will power! I ate too many churros yesterday and now my stomach aches. I guss today I´ll just have tea and soup. Serves me right.
@preethaanju (3000)
no i dont usually think too much about the quality of food i am eating. Good clean food that satsifies my hunger is enough..Ofcourse i do like good tasty food, only thing is that i cant afford it right now
I don´t spend lots of money on food but I love to cook. Many times good tasty food does not have to be expensive if you know how to do it.
@catdla1 (6005)
I don't see anything wrong with splurging once in a while. Doing so, in the long run probably helps you stay on the diet...or to eat better the rest of the time. As long as you don't buy chocolate and ice cream every day (without inviting us ). If you deny yourself every pleasure like that, sooner or later you'd buy it, not for company, but to close yourself in and eat it all yourself. So, don't worry about it. Worrying isn't good for your health either you know...
You are right, of course. Splurging once in a while means nothing. I do hope though that one thing does NOT lead to another. I tend to forget about my good promises. And I applaud myself too muxh for the few things I have mastered (like quitting smoking two years ago).
oh marguicha you and me have something in common. I fooled myself tonight at dinner . we had pepperoni piza and one of my tablemates has 'gout and could not eat hers. she insisted that emily and i split her portion in two. well that I should not have done,I did know better and now I am suffering the consequences. I am a diabetic and just took my blood glucose reading.200 thats much too high.now I must drown myself with water to wash that out of my system, darn,why could I have just said no? why am I so darned weak when it comes to say ing no thanks I cannot do that. I did not want to hurt Perla's feelings so instead I now have too high blood sugare which could give me complications. why darn it why?
My mom is a diabetic and loves strawberry meringue cake. It couldn´t we worse! So she usually behaves. But if she sees such a cake on the few ocation she dines out, she asks for a piece. She doesn´t eat all, but still it´s not good. So she does not test her glycemia for 3 or 4 days after that.. I truly think that the quality of life is as important as health and a long life span. Be happy with the pizza and take a pill and behave for a few days.
@shibham (17025)
hi friend. i have less interest in eating. i never tend to eat too much. whats i need to survive is enough for me. three time rice and some times some junk food. thanks.
@umit_umit (1986)
well,if i have a healthy food i come to know about it!and when i am having junk i come to know!but then we should have the good one only!
@Lile13 (4)
Look, nobody can resis chirps for long and the thing you need more than anyting to lose weith is exercise
@Tallygirl09 (1385)
Happy to hear that your shoulder is on the mend! I know the exercise is painful but it will be well worth it in the long run! And how wonderful that she was willing to come and give you the treatments on the weekends! That is rare and she is a very special person which is so important for the kind of work she does. We have nursing care and such that can come on the weekends but not physical therapy! I eat fairly healthy every day but I have a Sunday rule about desserts and snacks. They are allowed on Sunday, that helps me stay on track the rest of the week. And I really have made progress in losing some weight since early January. My goal is not to just lose some weight and then have it come back. I decided to try and change my pattern of healthy eating completely. I don't think you should feel guilty at all. It was a apecial treat and a fun time. We all need that from time to time! And one day of ice cream and treats won't hurt you. I love ice cream but don't have alot of will power with it so I buy a small container or a bar of it. That was I only have to be strong for the few moments in the grocery store. It's too tempting if I have a box of it in the freezer!
I´m afraid the worst thing about the churros was the quantity I ate. I ate as if I was a young woman and my stomach is almost 65 years old. Today I had my eldest grandson´s birthday and I had to ask for a pain relief for stomach before I atacked again. But you have to celebrate when your grandson turns 18.Right? He had cut off his hair (the last time I saw him he had something that he called dread locks) and he looked very handsome. Not even my shoulder hurt much while I was there!
Wow that was some special day!! Turning 18 is definitely a cause for big celebration. Plus you were all together plus your shoulder is coming along. I like men with short hair so I'd likely have thought he was extra handsome with it shorter. I think dreads are cool but short hair is way better! It's amazing how when we are happy and among family, our physical pain is so much less~! I doubt you'll eat that many churos again tomorrow so no worries!!
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya marguicha, A few Churros will not hurt you every so often. I eat them every so often maybe one or two. Churros are not really my kind of thing but I love the smell of them cooking I think that is what is tempting more than anything else. Homemade Churros must be even better for you more than those fried in that oil they use over and over and over. I eat a bit of extra chocolate yesterday but I am back to being myself in control again I can appreciate how much your shoulder must hurt as mine is still healing but now I can use it again but much more carefully no more heavy shopping bags for me if I can help it. Hope you recover soon. I´ll think of you when they keep trying to get me to eat churros again. Cuidate mucho. Take care now Sue.
I´m suffering today from yesterday´s churros. I did not eat one or two. Im afraid I ate as much as I did when I was a kid, but my stomach is old. So my stomach is hurting now and I´m making the kind of promises I will not keep. I use good oil. 100% sunflower and never reuse the oil. I prefer to make them in small pots even though it is more work but the oil is not used anymore. As for the shoulders, I´m afraid humanbeings are stupid with that as I was yesterday with the amount of churros. I had a shoulder problem 3 years ago in the other shoulder. It did not require surgery but had theraphy a whole Summer. When I forgot about how much it hurt, I started using the arm for heavy bags again. The most I do is too put few items in each bag at the super. But when I bring them home from the car, I take several at the same time. It seems I don´t learn easily. Happy posting!
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya marguicha, I don´t think your Stomach is old it just needs a bit of a helping hand. It must think to itself here she goes again (grin). Digestive enzymes in capsules are supposed to aid heavy digestion because Churros after all are heavy going. I ate them when I was 21 and I found them to be very heavy going on the tummy but you don´t remember that while you are eating them a que no? Seguro que no (grin). If they persuade me to eat a bit of a Chinese take away with them I usually drink an infusion of Red Tea as it eases off the digestion heaviness works better than those bifidus things I can tell you. Bueno chavala well gal I have to love and leave you as I would say where I come from. No more heavy Shopping Bags I use a bag with wheels on I don´t care if people stare I do my own thing.
@cyrus123 (6383)
Hi marguiha! This all sounds very good what youall had. I don't think I've ever heard of churros. It might be because I live in the states and we don't have them around here. What are they like? I try to watch what I eat most of the time. I try to stay on a high fiber diet because I have a lot of problems with my colon. I don't think it hurts to go off of your diet occasionally, though. It gets boring staying on one all the time. I like to go out to eat occasionally and that's when I eat whatever I want to. Our gospel meeting starts at church tomorrow and we will be having a meal every night before the service. I'm sure I will be tired of all the fattening stuff when it's over with, lol! Kathy.
Actually it comes from Spain. It´s what I would call "cooked dough". Just flour and hot salted water. There´s a gadget to make then in long thick threads and you deep fry them. Cane sugar on top.
@cyrus123 (6383)
It sounds delicious! Kathy.
@paula27661 (15899)
I don't always eat what I should either. A good example happened just this evening, I took my daughter to her dancing lesson and my husband phoned me as I was sitting waiting for her and asked me to stop at the store on the way home and buy some ham so he could make some sandwiches for tomorrow’s lunch; he mentioned potato crisps and Kit Kats too then decided that we should be ‘good’ and not have any junk food. After the lesson as I was driving home I received a call from my voice mail and there was a message from my husband’ “I like chicken crisps and I think Kit Kats may be on special this week...” How is that for a hint?
I suppose one can´t eat "only" healthy food all the time, except if you have an illness that makes it mandatory. Many times I wish some food wasn´t so good. I like veggies, but I like them a lot more if I make some homemade mayonaise. Plain cooked zuchinni is vey good with garlic mayonaise. And cooked potatoes with plenty of olive oil and dill pickles are awesome. So, what can we do? Eat, of course
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Of course I do not always eat just what I should. What fun would that be?
I dont either. Thats why I had such a big tummy ache yesterday. But then I had my eldest grandson´s birthday diner. A barbecue. So my daughter gave me a magic pill and I ate everything in quantities, except for hot chile.
@pcserver (395)
I don't think about what I am eating most of the time. But when I see someone on a diet and he/she tells me that is more healthy and that type of food is unhealthy I start to think. recently I tend to avoid oily food, mayonnaise, nuts and some other. I eat more vegetables and salads. Eating healthy is very important for appearance and physical appearance, too. One of the most delicious things for me is peanuts and coca-cola but they are bad for my teeth and my dentist told me to stop them, so I recently reduced them almost to minimum. Being healthy is more important that satisfying myself - after all I haven't stopped eating :) Have a nice myLotting :P
Congratulations for your capacity of changing your eating habits. I have done that in general, but once in a while my old self comes up.
@icegermany (2524)
it is really important to think about the food weather its healthy or not, specially the meals what we eat should be really healthy and as we are the one who have to take care for the whole family then it becomes more important that we think about all in the family and then decide about what to be given to all and it becomes important that even we need to take care about ourself too in order to be healthy and keep others healthy in the family. i know we just cant stick to healthy things always we sometimes want to have food which we like the most but we know that it is not healthy but i think sometimes it is fine to choose junk food for a change.
I think that giving way to some things you don´t usually hae (be it food or any thing you boy) is part of having a good quality of life. I live alone and I usually eat normal and healthy food. But when I have company, I like to have special things.
@MsTickle (24980)
NO, I'm a bit of a softie for ice cream as well. I didn't used to eat it very much at all but since I gained a lot of weight I'm eating it more than I ever have in my life. I try to eat only Lite ice cream so if Lite is on special I will buy 2. I really like it a lot.
@monkeylong (3146)
As far as I am concerned, I think I am a person who seldom think about how healthy the food I am used to eating. For me, I just eat the food which I think is the delicous food in the world, no matter how harm to my body. But from today, I think I need try my best to take good care of my health now. Have a very nice day ,my friend.
My mom is very health - conscious. At her age of more than 60 years old, she should be. So whatever she cooks, it is always healthy. And whatever she cooks, I eat them as well so we are both healthy. 2 birds with one stone!