Busy, Busy, Busy!

Model cars - Painting 3 model cars I am building.
@webeishere (36353)
Well now that I can open my windows during the day I've started on a project I've been holding off since Christmas. I am an avid model car builder and I got a few for gifts this past holiday. Here's a photo of some of the painting I've started today. The models I'm building are a 1966 Chevy Nova Pro Street rod, a 1966 Chevy Malibu SS and finally a 1032 Ford 3 Window Coupe. One model usually takes me a few months as I do detailed painting as well. I do it so the door handles show up, the dashboard can almost be read etc etc. I put these in a plastic case for display. But since I bought the house all my old ones (9) are all in storage until I finish the basement room and put them on a shelf in that room. Do you or a family member do model building at all? As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
hi Grandpa Bob looks like a fascinating hobby to me. Nobody in my own family was into model car building but my friend Nelda and her son have several older cars that her son rebuilt.ONe is thunderbird and I dont remember now what the other one was, but I know hes been offered some pretty good money for the second old car , oh yes its a Pinto, and he has refused so far to sell it as he has yet to finish remodeling. He is busy working editing movie film trailers and we tease him that one day he will get to warner' brothers and see his name in the credits.so he has to do this on his days off.
@webeishere (36353)
Are you referring to a real car being remodeled? I am referring to plastic 1/32nd size model cars. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
Oh Wow! Rebuilding and remodeling a real car would be quite the expensive hobby! Their is good money in it if you sell it yes, but a lot of money goes into it to rebuild it!
@basqui (3890)
you have a very nice hobby aside from gardening, gramps. I wish i could afford those collections. Model cars here in the Philippines are expensive. Maybe if i earn much online then i could afford buying online. Nice days of posting in Mylot gramps! could you send me some of your collections?
@webeishere (36353)
These plastic models cost about $10 US Dollars only. Then the paint and knofe etc. Not too bad for a hobby. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
@basqui (3890)
Oh, maybe i could buy some cheap ones first to practice my painting skills. I don't want to ruin a good one by just trying. I would have to practice first. Thanks Gramps!
My husband collects scale model metal cars. He is particularly proud of 2 american fire engines- 1966 mack fire pumper briarcliff manor fire dept & a 1938 ahrens-fox fire tender, boonton N J. Also a cream 1949 Buick Roadster and a white/blue 1956 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria. But he does also make models out of matches. you can buy the kits and he has quite a collection- a steam engine, King Henry 8th ship Mary Rose, a river boat, a locomotive, a tram and a fishing boat. He is now starting a gypsy caravan. He has got loads of patience as its very fiddly work, involving, cutting, trimming and glueing. I just collect 'stuff' - dragons, fairies , unicorns, clowns and cats. but you mention the storage problems. we have a tall glass unit and another unit with cupboards underneath, but lit up shelves for ornaments. We take it in turns to display our collections. at the moment his cars are in the tall glass unit and my stuff is in the other unit. in a couple of months we will swap round. His match built units are up on the top, but we do need more shelving.
@webeishere (36353)
Cool. I prefer building my own as opposed to buying the die cast steel ones. I used to build the old timer ships with multitude sails and all the roping etc. Those are very tedious and time consuming with the roping. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
that sparked a memory. Many years ago. long before I was married, my dear dad built a model of Sir Francis Drakes' Golden Hind. He did all the rigging and even down to the little capstans. The sails were superb with the massive scarlet cross , similiar to the crusader cross. I can remember it for years and then it disapeared. My dad also made a yacht named after me ( his only daughter, bless him) he passed that on to my son and do you know for the life of me, I can't figure out what happened to it. Hopefully it might be up in the loft. When i next see my son I 'll ask him. But that also would have been over 40 years old. the Golden hind would have been nearer 55 years old.
Hi GB! My hubby has quite the collection of model cars, and he LOVES doing them as well! He often gets them as a gift and he has a special shelf for them and they look really nice as he puts a lot of time and effort into them as well!
@webeishere (36353)
I have always loved building them And when they're on display a great feeling of pride rushes over me. Thanks. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
I think my hubby feels that pride too as he keeps his displayed on a special shelf specifically for his car models! Hopefully you can get yours all displayed soon!
Hi GRANDPA BOB, Wow!!! you are pretty handy with your hands, you must have patients to build these cars and paint them, I don't know anyone who does these things but when my brother was young he used to build little model aireoplanes. Tamara
@webeishere (36353)
Painting the small things like the dashboard insturments and door knobs, wiperblades, and other trim on them is tedious. But fun. As always..... HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB!!~
I really admire people who can do the fine detailing. I cannot, on something like a model. I can paint ceramics pretty well though. I know you have to have good ventilation since you use enamel paint on your models and the glue smells as well.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I live alone and I don't do any model building, myself. This sounds like a fun project, though. I love to paint. I bet you have quite a collection, though, don't you? Kathy.
@cyrus123 (6383)
I used to paint shirts and make earrings a lot. This hobby really takes a lot of time, though, and I stay busy with so many other things. I have also drawn pictures and painted them. Kathy.
My husband does some models here and there.... though I should say used to as he hasn't done much since we've had kids and bought our house. But he's like me and never finished things we start as with having kids we are always getting side tracked.
@bounce58 (17524)
Hi Grandpa Bob! I do, or at least I did. I still have boxes of my models in a room in my parents house. Just before I moved here in the northwest, which was 2003, I left all of them back home. I was going to get them, but I don't think I have time to them for now. Although I also had a few cars, my favorites were World War I and WWII tanks and jeeps. They were also easier to paint. No need for airbrushing, just a brush and they were fine. Maybe in a few years, when my son could already appreciate the hobby, I will get it again and show it to him.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
My husband put a model plane together with my son. They had a good time with it. But in general, not too much of that going on around here.
@BarBaraPrz (21015)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
My brother used to do bird models as a kid.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I did when I was a kids. My son still does some when he can get into the mood. Now I got to go look at the pics
@lingli_78 (12844)
that is really a very interesting hobby grandpa bob... nobody in my family have that kind of hobby... my hubby loves car a lot but he is not into car model building at all... good luck... hope you can finish building your 3 cars soon... please show them to us when you finish building them... take care and have a nice day...