Cleaning out the play pen

@ElicBxn (60894)
We love our cats, we love them so much we had a cat safe porch built onto the house that is screened in and the cats can come and go through a cat door in a window. It leads out to a cat tree outside and there are shelves and stuff for them to climb on. And our cats love it out there. But, they also have a bad habit of going out there too. Well, in their defense, the rain will wash a bit of dirt in and that got them started, but you know how it is, they shed, they potty, they throw up, etc. So, every so often, we have to go out and clean up some of the mess. And today was the day I did that. Now, I've done it like 5 times, and we got the roomie's nephew to do it once, and really considering how many cats we have, and that its been there for almost 5 years, it really isn't that bad. Still, it had been like a year or so since it was last done, and the last time it was completely cleaned was when the nephew took the hose to it about a year and a half ago. I don't do that, I go in with a shovel and scoop out what I can into an empty bucket and then dump it between the fences (to try and kill off some weeds and stuff. since my fence is metal, I don't see an issue... I also took a rake and got a few weeds and leaves up or at least rearranged (piled leaves over some weeds ya know) - actually piled a lot where the other roommate parks her car in the yard so they will get pressed into the dirt the next time it rains... There's some sticky weeds in the yard that a friend suggested I get out and that they had really shallow roots, she was right, put those in the trash can. Still, most of the time was spent on the porch. I'm now aching a bit, but at least I feel like I've gotten something done around the house, while the temp isn't too hot or too cold! So, have you done anything today that you feel good about? oh - I know, I was going to talk more about the cats, but the discussion wandered...
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
U have been very smart today. i did get my kitchen & bathroom floors mopped & 3 bushes outside trimmed so i have been smaart to,lol.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Tomorrow is the day we attack the litter boxes, and a friend is supposed to come over for dinner too... yikes!
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
All those cats sure keep u busy. I don't envy u for someof the jobs u have to do. lol
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
Thanks for the best response. Hope u have a great weekend.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
That's actually a great idea. My cats would love it. Not so sure about the cleaning up part though!
@ElicBxn (60894)
a shovel and a pail and a place to dump the mess! need to get out with a hose and a high pressure nozzle to get most of the rest of it!
@cerebellum (3871)
It always is so nice to feel like you got something accomplished. I haven't done much today, some laundry and some phone calls. That's about it. It is almost time to start spring cleaning, but I am still using the furnace, so I figured I'd wait. That sounds like a good excuse! That was a good idea building a screened in porch for the cats to go outside thru the cat door. I wouldn't want to clean up after them. It's a shame you can't think of some way to stop them going out there for good. Maybe you could move their box out there. At least it's just been a few times.
@ElicBxn (60894)
Honestly, if they want to go out there, at least it isn't inside the house! Its not like we go and hangout out there, we've actually been on the porch more the last couple of days than we have in MONTHS trying to get the cat we've been cat sitting for caught! That's what got me to want to shovel it out!
So it is really the cat's porch! I misunderstood. I thought you spent a lot of time out there!
@ElicBxn (60894)
Yep, for the cats.. Honestly, if I can't be on the computer, I probably wouldn't spend much time anywhere and I don't have a laptop Honestly, even if I did, I probably would still prefer to use it in a space the cats couldn't get to it!
@Lakota12 (42684)
all I did was wait to see if I could get a flight out of here with out gettting the flight cancelled some where even went to thee airport for the one thy set up to replace the first one well that got cancelled all on account of the big snw storm in Denver , wel they finaly got me a flight out in the moring am am beat so hope this one dont get cancelled!
@ElicBxn (60894)
I hope ya did - I've been grounded because of fog, but never canceled - tho we had to find a flight for my mom to New Jersey from Durango Colorado and while the airport there wasn't closed - YET, we had to drive to Albuquerque because the Denver airport was closed and the only flight that was going out of Durango was canceled because it was headed to Denver!
@Lakota12 (42684)
yes you posted something about that awhile back this is first time I had such a hard time going any where lololol
@gabs8513 (48715)
Hi Elic I bet that was some cleaning you did there lol On Wednesday I achieved bathing Gissi, an achievement for me but a not good time for Gissi who again was pretty mad at me
@ElicBxn (60894)
Gissi seems to spend a lot of time mad at you - or you mad at him - good thing you guys love each other so much!
@MsTickle (24994)
It's been raining here and today is rather dull. My mood is similar and I didn't feel up to doing much but then I received a phone call with good news. I've been up and doing and will continue to do so happily for the rest of the day. Then tomorrow I will go food shopping and on Friday my older daughter and her 2 girls will arrive. Yay!
@ElicBxn (60894)
Good news has a way to always brighten even the dullest day! Glad you got the good news and that your daughter and girls are coming!
i started cleaning up mom's yard..she had an old picket fence that needed broken up and thrown out.no cats,but i did smell recent skunk near it.i guess they were hiding under the old fence. boy,did i jump back when i smelled it though.
@ElicBxn (60894)
I don't blame ya, skunks are nothing to mess with - tho cool to look at!
You have made me feel quite guilty that we haven't cleared the gardens since late last year, I guess we should do it soon. So far this morning has been quite productive, a load of washing done, the kitchen cleaned up, the bed made and the room tidied. Moomin's moulting fur means more hoovering later LOL
@ElicBxn (60894)
It sounds like it! Yesterday (weds) it rained so I was trying to avoid being outside if I could
Did lots of computer stuff, and some laundry, and some shopping. I also tried to kill out weeds in an area we want to be a garden this summer. I put a tarp over part of it (like Grandpa Bob) and I have purchased another tarp to do the rest, but will work the next two days. That is okay, as it is supposed to be cool, and I might as well work. The cat porch sounds neat, the cat clean up sounds gross, but I have some indoors that I need to get done as well. That little bit of dirt starts everything.
@ElicBxn (60894)
its actually not as bad as cat litter, because I don't have to deal with boxes! Just shovel it up!
@BarBaraPrz (21040)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I cleaned the bathroom sink and took a garbage bag full of clothes to Value Village.
@ElicBxn (60894)
we need to deal with some clothes too, but even doing a garbage bag it barely scratched the surface! I really want to harvest some of the shirts to turn into tote bags...